This quote reminds me of Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
"I started off by visiting slums where the squalor and destitution were indescribable. Most of the hovels never saw the sun; whole families were crowded into tiny rooms, and slept on the bare ground in dampness, filth and cold.

An unknown world was revealed to me, a world of suffering more horrible than anything I had seen. I longed to snatch these poor creatures from their pitiful conditions, and I was staggered by the immensity of the task. I thought of the incalculable sums spent on wars and on scientific research which resulted in the destruction of humanity, while so many wretched men and women were reduced to subhuman conditions."

That sounds like something Bono would say, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear if it was his quote. But this was almost 100 years ago! I was reading the autobiography of Prince Felix Yussoupov, a young Russian nobleman who was 21 in 1908 when, helping the poor, he made those observations. I agree, and have heard Bono say similar things, all the money wasted on wars and research for more destruction when so much good could be done for so many. If only the world had learned back then, but it's only gotten worse in the time since :(

Yussoupov had plans of using his vast fortune, when he inherited it, for the good of the poor and needy in Russia. Sadly, the Revolution deprived him of that chance. He had to flee his homeland for his life, and lost all his estates and money and most of his assets. He could never return to Russia, and it broke his heart to see in the newspapers that the Communists and confiscated and kept his belongings and valuables. He had much less money in exile, but was known in his later years until his dying day in 1967 as a doer of good deeds in whatever form he could.

dogbench.jpg

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
all the money wasted on wars and research for more destruction when so much good could be done for so many. If only the world had learned back then, but it's only gotten worse in the time since :(

Frustrating, isn't it? I really hope that the coming generations will change that.

That poor man. Good to know that he still managed to try and help people, even after all the crap that happened to him. That's a classic example of a good soul.

And you're right, that is exactly something I could hear Bono saying. I'm glad that there are some people in this world who care about helping others in whatever way possible. And the best part is, with someone like Bono or Felix, they don't have to help people. Felix was rich, and Bono is rich, and they could both just as easily have sat in their comfy homes and not done squat for the less fortunate.

But they didn't. They help people because they want to, because they truly care.

And that's just frickin' awesome. :heart:.

Angela

Re: Re: This quote reminds me of Bono

Moonlit_Angel said:

Frustrating, isn't it? I really hope that the coming generations will change that.

That poor man. Good to know that he still managed to try and help people, even after all the crap that happened to him. That's a classic example of a good soul.

And you're right, that is exactly something I could hear Bono saying. I'm glad that there are some people in this world who care about helping others in whatever way possible. And the best part is, with someone like Bono or Felix, they don't have to help people. Felix was rich, and Bono is rich, and they could both just as easily have sat in their comfy homes and not done squat for the less fortunate.

But they didn't. They help people because they want to, because they truly care.

And that's just frickin' awesome. :heart:.

Angela

Exactly. And if more people were like them, there would be no more wars or revolutions, and a lot less suffering.:)

That's fascinating, Kitten. I'd never even heard of this guy. It's sad that he couldn't use his fortune to help others the way he wanted, but at least he survived the revolution and was able to help on a smaller scale.

Back
Top Bottom