this made me sick - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2004, 02:29 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 12:14 PM
this made me sick

This is my first time posting so forgive me if this doesn't belong here.

Now that I'm awake my mom came into my room and told me that last night, there was a bombing in Iraq killing 35 children. Not people, not adults but fuckin' children. I was so sick from the news that I fell to the floor and cried. I later threw up for 10 minutes in the toilet. I am so happy to be a Canadian. I love my country.

Old 10-01-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:14 AM
Oh gawd, you must have a big heart to have that sort of reaction. I dunno...it's sad but I've gotten used to hearing about that stuff. Going in to Iraq breeded more terrorists as opposed to getting rid of them. Hitting children is becoming a really scary angle for al Qaeda between this and the school attack in Russia.

Old 10-01-2004, 04:03 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, now there's all sorts of murder and mayhem going on in Iraq. It's a dysfunctional society, very unstable, no law, no order. That's what happens when you yank a government out and don't put anything in its place.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I'm a CNN junkie and I expected myself to become numb to all the reports of bombings, but i still get riled up. Especially when they show the children crying and being carried away in the arms of adults.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:13 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:14 PM
Thats the glorious resistance for you, and that is why the likes of Fisk and Pilger will support them - ask yourself who the real child killers in this conflict are?
Old 10-01-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
ask yourself who the real child killers in this conflict are?

right. the real children killers are the turban heads. any casuality of children at the hands of the 'coalition' is just collateral damage rationalized and tossed aside in the quest for "freedom," capitalism, and the american way. the death of innocent children can never be rationalized or justified. anyone who commits such a tragic act should be ashamed. there are no real child killers. both sides of this conflict are responsible for hundreds of deaths of innocents. neither side is justified.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:59 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
there are no real child killers.
Really? Does shelling schools and blowing up school busses deliberately not make you a child killer - this is an interesting development.

Innocent people die in war - that is one of the man reasons that war is bad, but there is a difference between deliberately targeting children and children being killed in urban combat situations. One is too often an unavoidable concequence of warfare and the other is outright murder.

EDIT: The rest of that post was mostly crap, sorry about that.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:20 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

Really? Does shelling schools and blowing up school busses deliberately not make you a child killer - this is an interesting development.
you seem to have over looked my emphasis on the word real.

Quote:

Innocent people die in war - that is one of the man reasons that war is bad, but there is a difference between deliberately targeting children and children being killed in urban combat situations. One is too often an unavoidable concequence of warfare and the other is outright murder.
if you cannot see that both situations are murder than there is no sense in furthering this topic. we will not see eye to eye regardless.

Quote:

I would be more than happy to show you the freedom that Iraqi's enjoyed under saddam, the video's from Abu Ghraib prior to the war make the US abuses look like childs play. The sheer number of innocent people dying from sanctions and the regime itself during the "peace" was outrageous (hundreds of thousands) - more Iraqi civilians died needlessly under Bill Clinton than George W. Bush and the responsibility for these deaths rests solely with the evil despot Saddam Hussein.
just a few things to comment on here...

i never stated that the iraqis were better off under saddam. perhaps you misunderstood what i meant by "freedom." i'm not going to spell it out, no offense intended here, but it simply has to do with the way the word is tossed around these days - something i'm also sure we would not agree on. i'm sure that the US abuses were childs play in relation to saddam's behavior, and thusly justified of course.

secondly, saddam was given free reign of the region when his little regime was propted up in the 70s. it wasn't until the puppet cut his strings and bit that hand that fed him in the 90s that anyone gave a damn. perhaps the US government bears some responsibility for what has happened in iraq over the past 20+ years.

in summation, i didn't really want to/nor did i bring up any of these topics in my previous post. my point was simply: no deaths of innocents are ever justified or tolerable. that is all.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:24 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Abuse is never justified, that abuse was unjust and has no doubt cost lives.

Death is bad, agreed
Old 10-01-2004, 08:56 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:14 PM
Yes it is fucking awfull, just like the children that are killed by mines, unexploded clusterbombs and dead born children because of depleted uranium bombs...and using DU and clusterbombs are no mistakes.

And before one of you will say it to me, i don`t think terrorist and the coallition are on the same level but killing children is.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:28 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

IsabelleGuns

Bless your heart, you angel! I understand your feelings...my roomates didn't understand while I promptly got ill and cried for an hour when I first saw the footage of the Russian children. I don't know if it's because we're too compassionate or others are too numb, I'd like to think being too compassionate wouldn't be a weakness in this world but sometimes it is. I will never change that about myself though---it's my pained heart that spurs me to try to find the salve this world needs.

"I'm rebelling against the idea that the world is the way it is and there is not a damn thing I can do about it. So I'm trying to do, a damn thing." ~Bono
Old 10-02-2004, 04:22 AM   #12
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:14 AM
Yeah it makes me sick too, i find myself thinking about it for hours sometimes unable to get it out of my head. It really is a fucked up world we live in with all the war and other stuff like 70,000 people dying EVERYDAY from AIDS in Africa or the crap happening in Sudan. We truly live in heaven for those of us living in first world countries. My mom says heaven and hell are right here on earth and i believe that.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:30 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by EvolutionMonkey
Yeah it makes me sick too, i find myself thinking about it for hours sometimes unable to get it out of my head. It really is a fucked up world we live in with all the war and other stuff like 70,000 people dying EVERYDAY from AIDS in Africa or the crap happening in Sudan. We truly live in heaven for those of us living in first world countries. My mom says heaven and hell are right here on earth and i believe that.
So sad but true. In my Latin American Politics class we just read part of the Rigoberta Menchu story and then had a group discussion. Someone said they couldn't believe stuff like that was allowed to happen "back then" (as in the 1970s and 1980s) and my Prof (whose lifes work is studying African development) just kinda looked at her and was like "uh, dear, have you ever heard of Africa?" So much for being informed
Old 10-02-2004, 08:40 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Peace, liberty and prosperity for all - only then can we see peace on earth.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:52 AM   #15
New Yorker

Re: this made me sick

Quote:
Originally posted by isabelle_guns
This is my first time posting so forgive me if this doesn't belong here.

Now that I'm awake my mom came into my room and told me that last night, there was a bombing in Iraq killing 35 children. Not people, not adults but fuckin' children. I was so sick from the news that I fell to the floor and cried. I later threw up for 10 minutes in the toilet. I am so happy to be a Canadian. I love my country.
My best friend is from Canada and she has called me up many times to say what is President Bush doing. I am American sometimes happy about it sometimes scared to death. I pray for those children and the many of children who have suffered this war. I fear for my own child every day and hope that I didn't bring an innocent life into a world that is full of chaos and destruction.