this made me sick - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2004, 08:55 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:37 PM
If I may, there were many many more children dying in Iraq before the war because of the sanctions imposed and exploited by the regime. These deaths are tragic but in the bigger picture of things they are quite insignificant compared to the children that died, and would have continued to die with Saddam in power.

Old 10-02-2004, 10:12 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:37 AM
A_Wanderer

Your use of statistics is overbearing and ultimately proves nothing. It doesn't matter if or how many children were killed because of Saddam, it doesn't change the fact that children are dying now indirectly because of this stupid ill-planned, ill-executed war. I am so sick of this compassionate conservative bullshit. Don't ever call deaths like these insignificant. I doubt the parents of these children are finding it 'insignificant'. Saddam had kids killed, that was bad, that was wrong. And now this war is responsible, albiet indirectly, for these deaths. And that is bad, and that is wrong as well. Stop trying to justify these deaths just by saying Saddam would have done worse. That does not make what the U.S. is doing 'ok'.

Old 10-02-2004, 07:02 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:37 PM
It is not compassionate conservatism, I just don't like it when people forget about those 300,000 bodies dragged out of the desert sands or those who were dying every damn day because of that most evil regime. This atrocity cannot be justified and nor am I trying to justify it, I think that this represents what the resistance is - a coalitition of murderers, thugs and religious nuts.

The US soldiers were there giving sweets to children and these monsters made their move - the blood is on the terrorists hands, not the US. Now civilian casualties, the 13,000 or so are bad. But I do not think that that in itself justifies inaction, there is always a cost in lives through either action or inaction.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:14 AM   #19
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 08:37 AM
isabelle_guns:
1st i want to tell you that it's wonderfull that you are still so sensitive.
Many of FYM are so spoiled with horrible news that they rationalize too much and don't see the human tragedies behind the killings.

From my point of view every killed person is one too much
Old 10-04-2004, 01:28 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
Oh gawd, you must have a big heart to have that sort of reaction. I dunno...it's sad but I've gotten used to hearing about that stuff. Going in to Iraq breeded more terrorists as opposed to getting rid of them. Hitting children is becoming a really scary angle for al Qaeda between this and the school attack in Russia.

Thanks for the big heart comment, I do not get that often.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:29 PM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I'm a CNN junkie and I expected myself to become numb to all the reports of bombings, but i still get riled up. Especially when they show the children crying and being carried away in the arms of adults.
If you're human no matter how many times you see children getting hurt, it's makes you cry.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:31 PM   #22
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
IsabelleGuns

Bless your heart, you angel! I understand your feelings...my roomates didn't understand while I promptly got ill and cried for an hour when I first saw the footage of the Russian children. I don't know if it's because we're too compassionate or others are too numb, I'd like to think being too compassionate wouldn't be a weakness in this world but sometimes it is. I will never change that about myself though---it's my pained heart that spurs me to try to find the salve this world needs.

"I'm rebelling against the idea that the world is the way it is and there is not a damn thing I can do about it. So I'm trying to do, a damn thing." ~Bono
Wow that was beautifully said.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:32 PM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
[i] My mom says heaven and hell are right here on earth and i believe that. [/B]
I believe that to
Old 10-04-2004, 01:39 PM   #24
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
A_Wanderer

Your use of statistics is overbearing and ultimately proves nothing. It doesn't matter if or how many children were killed because of Saddam, it doesn't change the fact that children are dying now indirectly because of this stupid ill-planned, ill-executed war. I am so sick of this compassionate conservative bullshit. Don't ever call deaths like these insignificant. I doubt the parents of these children are finding it 'insignificant'. Saddam had kids killed, that was bad, that was wrong. And now this war is responsible, albiet indirectly, for these deaths. And that is bad, and that is wrong as well. Stop trying to justify these deaths just by saying Saddam would have done worse. That does not make what the U.S. is doing 'ok'.
Thank you, you pretty much said what was on my mind.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:41 PM   #25
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
isabelle_guns:
1st i want to tell you that it's wonderfull that you are still so sensitive.
Many of FYM are so spoiled with horrible news that they rationalize too much and don't see the human tragedies behind the killings.

From my point of view every killed person is one too much
thank you for that comment
Old 10-05-2004, 01:25 PM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 08:37 AM
Don't ever call deaths like these insignificant.

Amen to that! Nobody deserves to die like that, wether they are European, Asian, American, African or whatever. And yes, lots of Iraqis died during Saddam's reign, but that doesn't justify a lot of the actions taken now.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:14 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by isabelle_guns

Wow that was beautifully said.

Thank you!
Old 10-07-2004, 12:41 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

very news

Not going to justify this by any means...

but there are numerous other instances when children are "deliberately" targetted....

200 children....not allowing them food and water for days
and killing them ruthlessly and deliberately...

Not to forget 200 other adults..