THIS is why Robert Kennedy is my hero.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
The original man to sport fly shades.

100804.jpg

What a man. :cute::rockon: He and Bono would have gotten along famously...two Irish Catholics out to fight poverty...with a similar sense of style :lol:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I love your posts. It gives me so much hope for our future, to see someone your age so educated and interested in politics.

It makes me remember the days when I was that optimistic over the future.

Melon

Robert Kennedy was a tough bastard, otherwise he wouldn't have got to where he was. Also it has to be admitted be benefited from nepotism (one of the things the Bush admin has also been accused of).

Though to his credit he did try to break organised crime, something Hoover was curiously resistant to, for reasons which have never been satisfactorily explained.

Last edited:
He left behind 11 children........also when he was shot and lying on the ground dying, he asked "Is everyone okay?" Even in the last hours of his life he was concerned more for others. :sigh::sad:

U2democrat said:
I'm attempting to read Arthur Schlesinger's 1000 page bio on him, "Robert Kennedy and His Times". It's good but sooooooooo detailed :crazy:

The first time I read it I was a sophmore in hich school. When you are ready for a field trip to the Kennedy Library, a place I lived in my senior year in college let me know. My wife and I will go with you.

I still cry every time I get to the Bobby stuff.

I have a list in my library of Kennedy Books I could recommend to you. Remeber, he was part of the administration, and would never write anything to damage the family. Sorenson as well would never.

Richard Goodwin wrote a pretty good book about his experiences in the administration, and LBJ's. He then left LBJ to write speeches for Bobby in 68. His book is pretty interesting stuff.

Dreadsox said:

The first time I read it I was a sophmore in hich school. When you are ready for a field trip to the Kennedy Library, a place I lived in my senior year in college let me know. My wife and I will go with you.

I still cry every time I get to the Bobby stuff.

I have a list in my library of Kennedy Books I could recommend to you. Remeber, he was part of the administration, and would never write anything to damage the family. Sorenson as well would never.

Richard Goodwin wrote a pretty good book about his experiences in the administration, and LBJ's. He then left LBJ to write speeches for Bobby in 68. His book is pretty interesting stuff.

I started it when I was a sophomore in high school...:ohmy:

I've been wanting to get to the Kennedy library for a long time...I'll definitely let you know when I eventually get up there.

To me I feel the great leaders in America died with MLK and RFK in 1968, there hasn't been anyone like them since. I wonder if there ever will be.

U2democrat said:
To me I feel the great leaders in America died with MLK and RFK in 1968, there hasn't been anyone like them since. I wonder if there ever will be.

Not as long as conservatives keep on assassinating them all.

Melon

It just occurs to me what is so conservative about Sirhan Sirhan and for that matter Lee Harvey Oswald (reactionary to be sure but conservative?). James Earl Ray, I suppose he is the only one of the bunch that could be pinned.

As NB may say, VRWC

That was the joke right?

Last edited:
It doesn't matter anyway. America will be nothing more than a greedy, warmongering nation that prefers religious superstition and divine revelation to hard science and substantiated facts. Any "progress" that occurred was wiped away completely in the aftermath of 9/11. I guess people here just enjoy being scared and lied to, and comfort themselves in mass quantities of junk food and expensive trinkets that they can't afford.

I no longer believe it is possible for this nation to change.

Melon

Last edited:
Maybe so but I guarantee that the ideals of liberty, pluralism and democracy that America has strived towards will live on in whatever takes the top position in the future.

edited due to excessive revision on the depleted MORB mantle that is low in relative concentration of incompatible elements.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
Maybe so but I guarantee that the ideals of liberty, pluralism and democracy that America has strived towards will live on in whatever takes the top position in the future.

Watching our state governments pass constititutional amendments against my freedom makes me not so optimistic.

Melon

It could be worse, here the federal government was able to present and sneak through a gay marriage ban and get it put through with support of the opposition without massive public debate and relatively broad public support. Homophobic politicians and spineless opposition that don't stand for individual freedoms will never prosper in the long term.

I am fully aware however that they make political gains short term

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
It could be worse, here the federal government was able to present and sneak through a gay marriage ban and get it put through with support of the opposition without massive public debate and relatively broad public support. Homophobic politicians and spineless opposition that don't stand for individual freedoms will never prosper in the long term.

Regardless, it just shows that the ideas of "liberty, pluralism, and democracy" are merely empty nationalist words in today's society. The protection of minority rights is the true gauge as to how committed a nation is to those secular humanist ideals.

Melon

You never achieve it, thats the point, the only way that any semblance of them can exist is if society is constantly pushing to reach them ~ if not then it will get caught in the flow of corruption and despotism. Which I think that some could very well argue is what is happening today. It may also be that such times are exactly the kick up the arse that a nation needs to wake up to the problems and get back on track ~ it is how such a political system self-corrects and a big part of the reason the US has never fallen all the way into the abyss.

A_Wanderer said:
It just occurs to me what is so conservative about Sirhan Sirhan and for that matter Lee Harvey Oswald (reactionary to be sure but conservative?). James Earl Ray, I suppose he is the only one of the bunch that could be pinned.

As NB may say, VRWC

That was the joke right?

Lee Harvey

Could have been a conservative? Except prior to Killing Kennedy, he tried to kill a very conservative man.

Dreadsox said:
Lee Harvey

Could have been a conservative? Except prior to Killing Kennedy, he tried to kill a very conservative man.

He could have been a conservative...given his association with anti-Castro groups. But ultimately, if we assume he was the assassin, Hoover's assessment is probably as close to the truth as we will get - Oswald was 'in the category of a nut'.

Back
Top Bottom