This is Why I SF is so messed up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:rolleyes: ACLU bashing...great.

This has nothing to do with the ACLU, but boy conservatives love to bash it any chance they get.

As to the subject. When I was in school, Christianity and Judaism were taught in a historical context. I see no problem if Muslim is taught the same way.

It's hard to tell if this is ciriculum over reaching it's boundaries or parents over re-acting from the article.

Just remember

BonoVox The ACLU supported NAMBLA a pedophile group. I am a Democrat conservative and damn proud of it. :wink:

Re: Just remember

Justin24 said:
BonoVox The ACLU supported NAMBLA a pedophile group.

This is a huge mishandling of information. Support and defending are two entirely different things. I may not support what you say but I will defend your right to say it.

The ACLU has defended many "public enemies" from ex-criminals to Jerry Falwell.

But this is another subject for another time.

I hate to break it to you....but the teaching of religion is NOT against the separation of Church and State.

There are curriculums being taught about Christianity as well. The teaching of world religions is acceptable as long as they are being treated equally.

A "SIMULATION" is an acceptable way to teach. I have read every link atttached to your article. and sure enough they are being treated equally

[Q]7.2 Students analyze the geographic, political, economic, religious, and social structures of the civilizations of Islam in the Middle Ages.

Identify the physical features and describe the climate of the Arabian peninsula, its relationship to surrounding bodies of land and water, and nomadic and sedentary ways of life.

Trace the origins of Islam and the life and teachings of Mohammad, including Islamic teachings on the connection with Judaism and Christianity.

Explain the significance of the Koran and the Sunnah as the primary sources of Islamic beliefs, practice, and law, and their influence in Muslims' daily life.

Discuss the expansion of Muslim rule through military conquests and treaties, emphasizing the cultural blending within Muslim civilization and the spread and acceptance of Islam and the Arabic language.

Describe the growth of cities and the establishment of trade routes among Asia, Africa, and Europe, the products and inventions that traveled along these routes (e.g., spices, textiles, paper, steel, new crops), and the role of merchants in Arab society.

Understand the intellectual exchanges among Muslim scholars of Eurasia and Africa and the contributions Muslim scholars made to later civilizations in the areas of science, geography, mathematics, philosophy, medicine, art, and literature.[/Q]

the state guidelines encourage teachers to use [Q]"simulations, role playing and dramatizations"[/Q]

and as for Christianity

[Q]"6. Note the origins of Christianity in the Jewish-Messianic Prophecies, the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth as described in the New Testament, and the contribution of St. Paul the Apostle to the definition and spread of Christian beliefs (e.g., belief in the Trinity, resurrection, salvation)."[/Q]

All from the State Board of Education Guidelines as to how teachers are supposed to teach and what they are supposed to teach.

http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/index.asp

Now the fact that this became an issue after 9-11 is VERY telling.

The article in my opinion is an inflamatory piece of poo.

This thread is close to it.

You attack San Fransisco in your thread title, funny, they are doing what the state asked them to do.

Last edited:
FYI the Board of Education also recommends the teaching of Eastern Religions and Culture as well as Judiasm.

All treated equally.

Much ado about nothing.

Now, all of this said, I would require a permission slip to be signed by the parents that would give permission for their child to be a part of the simulation.

Simulations are particularly powerful teaching tools, and I think it is within my rights as a parent to be allowed to decide if this is too much for my child.

There are many ways to teach a curriculum.

Okay, as someone who teaches both world geography and world civilization to high school sophomores I role play all the time. However, I would never consider making students fast or play "jihad games" for a grade. What the hell is a jihad game anyway? :huh:

Like Dreadsox suggested: permission slips all the way. The fasting would have to be optional.

And for the record, my school board would have a fit if I taught Islam this way. :wink:

Let's remember this "jihadist games", "become Muslims", and "required to fast", etc are all quotes from alamists parents.

Alarmist parents from a period of post 9/11 racism.

That WND site is funny, I almost thought I was reading the Onion.:wink:

Ever notice how everyone else has a "hidden agenda" but these type of nutjobs don't? :eyebrow: :hmm:

Too bad the article didn't give more information - are other religions part of the program? How do you reconcil other actions that are deemed to have religious intent with this program that was deemed 'devoid of "any devotional or religious intent"'?

Instead, we get just enough so we can argue our regular FYM talking points.

You have to admit it is interesting that this level of religious instruction is permitted, when you have examples of instrumental musical pieces being banned because of their religious connection. A lack of clear principles, consistently applied, seems evident.

Justin24 said:
Jihad is like a call to war, destroy the infidels???

The word "jihad" is an Arabic word that means a personal struggle with sin. The interpretation of it as "holy war" is only used by those of the Wahhabist branch of Islam, which is officially the religion of the state of Saudi Arabia. It's not accepted in other Islamic country, but you can see how Osama bin Laden, a native of Saudi Arabia, came up with his poisonous ideas.

verte76 said:

The word "jihad" is an Arabic word that means a personal struggle with sin. The interpretation of it as "holy war" is only used by those of the Wahhabist branch of Islam, which is officially the religion of the state of Saudi Arabia. It's not accepted in other Islamic country, but you can see how Osama bin Laden, a native of Saudi Arabia, came up with his poisonous ideas.

Verte, you rock.:rockon:

verte76 said:

Great clarification :up:

But I think it is a little generous to restrict its meaning to Saudi Arabia. The influence of the teachers of "holy war" have spread far and wide.

Fine WND may be a joke but so is all the media. I mean do you remember how they made Condi Rice look evil, by photoshopping her. When OJ was on Tme and Newsweek, same picture just they mad him look super evil. In media today they pretty much give their own opinion and one side to the story.

nbcrusader said:

Great clarification :up:

But I think it is a little generous to restrict its meaning to Saudi Arabia. The influence of the teachers of "holy war" have spread far and wide.

Yes, it's spread beyond Saudi Arabia. The :censored:holes who blew up the Shi'ite mosque in Iraq last year were Wahhabists, some were from Saudi Arabia but two of them were Iraqis. The thing about Arab culture is that it doesn't matter which country you're from, the ultimate loyalty is to your tribe. Also, the Deobandi school of Islam from India is the "spiritual" ancestry of the Taliban; they have always emphasized that terrible teaching about women, burkas and all of the rest. I don't know that the Deobandis were quite that bad about a jihad interpretation.

Justin24 said:
Fine WND may be a joke but so is all the media. I mean do you remember how they made Condi Rice look evil, by photoshopping her. When OJ was on Tme and Newsweek, same picture just they mad him look super evil. In media today they pretty much give their own opinion and one side to the story.

And what does this have to do with your thread. A little research, and less trolling and you may find a good thread.

I am not a Troll. You talk bad about WND on this article, but see no fault in other media outlets.

Justin24 said:
You talk bad about WND on this article, but see no fault in other media outlets.

That's not what anyone is saying.

But you can't possibly compare WND to other media outlets.

Just look at the advertising.

-a book that speaks out against homosexuality, body piercing, sex ed, etc

-"Criminalizing Christianity":rolleyes:

-anti-islam literature

-war on Christmas bracelets

-pro life organizations

list goes on and on...

But no they have no bias or agenda.

Back
Top Bottom