This is what happens when you release Guantanamo Bay prisoners - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-13-2004, 07:07 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
Posts: 3,854
Local Time: 10:48 AM
This is what happens when you release Guantanamo Bay prisoners



Pro-Al Qaeda tribal leader Ahmad Mehsod, who has owned responsibility for abducting two Chinese engineers, has been making appearances before the media in the tribal Waziristan agency and telephoning newspersons in Peshwar by satellite phones to outline his demands.

Mehsod was released from US detention centre in Guantanamo Bay a few months ago.


__________________

__________________
AcrobatMan is offline  
Old 10-13-2004, 07:17 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 08:48 PM
Which just goes to show that getting intel on these guys is a hell of a lot harder than it seems. For every innocent man there may be a dangerous one. For every 100 there may be a serious threat. If I was given the choice between locking up 500 men (principally the foreign ones) captured in Afghanistan after 2001 or releasing all those of whom I lacked full intelligence on and risk an attack or harm to innocent people I would be inclined to keep them in detention. It is a very difficult question and the situation requires full and proper oversight - just be careful when your government begins to speak of targeted internment.
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 10-13-2004, 07:55 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 05:48 AM
I said all along, they were there for good reason, maybe nothing that could be proven in an American style hometown trial, but they were not there for nothing. I am sorry to hear this
__________________
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 10-13-2004, 08:30 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
kobayashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: the ether
Posts: 5,142
Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
I said all along, they were there for good reason, maybe nothing that could be proven in an American style hometown trial, but they were not there for nothing. I am sorry to hear this
your rationale is frightening. your willingness to extend an alleged truth to be generally applicable to a large and diverse group is troubling.
__________________
im the candyman. and the candyman is back.
kobayashi is offline  
Old 10-13-2004, 08:38 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 05:48 AM
Even God decided to NOT destroy a city because there was one righteous person living in the city.

Did Guantanamo create this terrorist?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 10-13-2004, 09:27 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi


your rationale is frightening. your willingness to extend an alleged truth to be generally applicable to a large and diverse group is troubling.
Not nearly as troubling as your attitude. No 'large and diverse group' was in there, only ones with suspicions on them, and this proves it. Sorry, I'd rather be safe than sorry. These are no neighborhood vandals here, they're dangerous.

Nothing is more troubling than what happened to those Chinese guys because he was set free, probably because of a bunch of flowery eyed whiners.

I've said it before, there is reason to hold them, but when the only witnesses are their own brethren who'd rather die than rat them out there's no chance you're going to convict them in a US style trial. This is a different situation and calls for a different way of dealing with things. It makes me literally ill people pity these fuckers more than their potential victims.

However I'm up to my ass in hot water now as it is, so I'm going now.
__________________
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 10-13-2004, 09:34 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Mr. BAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Life's too short to drink cheap wine!
Posts: 12,336
Local Time: 03:48 AM
Just passing through and not ready for a debate with the likes of you folks.... but maybe we planted a GPS tracking system in his ass...ever consider that????
__________________
Mr. BAW is offline  
Old 10-13-2004, 09:35 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 02:48 AM
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 10-13-2004, 10:01 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
kobayashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: the ether
Posts: 5,142
Local Time: 06:48 AM
my attitude of respecting humans?

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten


Not nearly as troubling as your attitude. No 'large and diverse group' was in there, only ones with suspicions on them, and this proves it. Sorry, I'd rather be safe than sorry. These are no neighborhood vandals here, they're dangerous.

Nothing is more troubling than what happened to those Chinese guys because he was set free, probably because of a bunch of flowery eyed whiners.

I've said it before, there is reason to hold them, but when the only witnesses are their own brethren who'd rather die than rat them out there's no chance you're going to convict them in a US style trial. This is a different situation and calls for a different way of dealing with things. It makes me literally ill people pity these fuckers more than their potential victims.
i dont have time to do all sorts of research but there are innocents at guantamo bay. people who are innocent by any standards-not just those of 'flowery eyed whiners' (if you are referring to me as such, well, there is a first time for everything).

i guess its whatever we choose to believe...
__________________
im the candyman. and the candyman is back.
kobayashi is offline  
Old 10-13-2004, 10:25 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Even God decided to NOT destroy a city because there was one righteous person living in the city.

Did Guantanamo create this terrorist?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?

sounds

like questions i might ask.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 10-13-2004, 10:58 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep



sounds

like questions i might ask.
Shoot...I have been hanging in here to much again
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 10-13-2004, 03:54 PM   #12
Refugee
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Posts: 2,432
Local Time: 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Even God decided to NOT destroy a city because there was one righteous person living in the city.

Did Guantanamo create this terrorist?


Interesting morale question to the hardliner fraction:
How many innocent people do we think are tolerable to imprison in guantamo bay per person?
Would this number be different if friends of you or your children would be there?

Some people here only see 2 options, either imprisoning them with no rights, maybee torture would be ok too and the other option is letting them go.
What kind of legal system are you used to that you don't think it can't handle terrorists?
__________________

__________________
Klaus is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com