This is simply awful. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-08-2002, 12:56 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
oliveu2cm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Live from Boston
Posts: 8,334
Local Time: 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by foray
Well, the thing about female genital mutilation is that it's a coming-of-age pride thing. Some females in Africa actually claim that the more people protest against it, the more they want to do it.

foray
I find it very, very, very hard to believe there are informed females who still want this procedure done. Like Daisybean said, the instruments they use during these procedures are often unsanitary. As a matter of fact, the instrument mostly used is a razor blade. Razor blade which mutilates a woman who has had no anestesia. Many women have to be bound during the procedure, held by men or tied down. Many women do not even live through the intense bleeding which follows for days after the procedure.

I do believe some women believe their mothers or grandmothers in regards to this procedure. They are contaminated with lies that if they do not have this done then they cannot have children or a man will know she is unclean. These are sick lies and therefore I feel IF any woman said she wanted this done has clearly been lied to not able to decide on her own what she wants for her body.

I bet the things you hear that they want it more the more people protest it are lies spread by the dominating males of those cultures to get human rights activists off their backs.

It makes me sick, the whole thing makes me sick

if you want any more info:
http://www.rawa.org
http://www.vday.org
__________________

__________________
oliveu2cm is offline  
Old 07-08-2002, 01:01 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
oliveu2cm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Live from Boston
Posts: 8,334
Local Time: 01:48 AM

I wouldn't post some of the information at this link because it is quite graphic, but if you are interested in learning more about these cruel practices check here:

http://www.amnesty.org/ailib/intcam/femgen/fgm1.htm#a11
__________________

__________________
oliveu2cm is offline  
Old 07-08-2002, 01:02 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
hiphop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the jungle
Posts: 7,410
Local Time: 07:48 AM
Brilliant post, daisybean. Good point, foray.

It is always so difficult to get a position on those things, because these cultures are so far away and out of our imagination, that we canīt possibly imagine what is really wanted by who and for what reason.

The circumcission of boys, f.e., is also celebrated very often, it is a big thing; not comparable, for many reasons, with the first time we take the holy bread in church, but with a religious impact and lots of intensity.

If anyone wants some real information about those things, he must go there; at least consult an institute for ethnology if you want some reliable information. I donīt know that much. I am heavily interested in different spiritual procedures, like healing.
__________________
hiphop is offline  
Old 07-08-2002, 01:07 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
oliveu2cm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Live from Boston
Posts: 8,334
Local Time: 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

The circumcission of boys, f.e., is also celebrated very often, it is a big thing; not comparable, for many reasons, with the first time we take the holy bread in church, but with a religious impact and lots of intensity.
I understand what you are saying about the religious element. However---- female genital mutilation is not the same as being circumcised. I've never heard of a infant male dying from this, or not being able to feel pleasure from sex because of this.

please read the link I provided above- Just because it is the older people's customs does NOT mean it is right.
__________________
oliveu2cm is offline  
Old 07-08-2002, 01:24 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
hiphop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the jungle
Posts: 7,410
Local Time: 07:48 AM
Also true, Oliveu2, just because it is the Elders tradition doesnīt make it right. But right for who?

Look, you can be sure that I am the same women-and-freedom-and-independency-loving as anyone here. It is only a question from which view you watch those traditions. It is true, from my European (or your American?) point of view that these women should not be hurt or even killed. And sure, traditions which hurt, have to be changed.

But with whose power? They have to change it if they want to, not us, because we are so liberal or democratic or freedom loving. They have to change it, so that they get independency. More to stand on their own feet. But - also! - be careful with this, the unit "family" in african perception is a totally different one from first world perception of the same word.

I think those poor women should only somehow be assured that they have a free choice. But I would like if we would concentrate more on fighting hunger and AIDS. So many people die of hunger.
I know I change the theme now, just let me say, we canīt imagine how it is to be hungry. People in India or Africa can. I mean, shouldnīt we try to not eat anything for at least a week, and then see what we are able to discuss about with our oh-so-free-minds? We are so openminded because we can afford it.

So - sorry, but I donīt click your links. First, because I can imagine clearly enough without seeing, second because I think the Internet is not a first hand selective information system for this theme.
__________________
hiphop is offline  
Old 07-08-2002, 01:48 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
hiphop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the jungle
Posts: 7,410
Local Time: 07:48 AM
Even if I have to admit the article of amnesty seems well written.

I neither knew that Europe and the U.S. had the same practices... puh! One time I am happy to be so lucky to live at this time and place. Another interesting vision is the one of hospitals, where it is said that only the very rich can afford to use a hospital for this procedure. Now what if Africa had enough hospitals? Not one on so and so many millions of people, but the same like in Europe. Would the system be opened to changes?

The article makes many good points, and tries to avoid accusations, which is fine. The only thing about it which I donīt like is the part about psychological effects... because it is clear a procedure like that affects your mind, isnīt it? - but Africa has absolutely nothing to do with Freud or psychoanalysis. So the effects may be true, but they seem to be watched through the wrong glasses.
__________________
hiphop is offline  
Old 07-08-2002, 01:55 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 20,953
Local Time: 06:48 AM

__________________
U2girl is offline  
Old 07-08-2002, 01:56 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
oliveu2cm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Live from Boston
Posts: 8,334
Local Time: 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Also true, Oliveu2, just because it is the Elders tradition doesnīt make it right. But right for who?
I don't believe that just because a culture does it deems it right or acceptable. Call me narrowminded or whatever but I believe in human rights "the right to live like a human" as someone once said, and I believe that no one should suffer that mutilation if they do not want to or are not informed about its ramifications. People can think or believe what they want- but if it's harmful to others thats where the line needs to be drawn.

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
But with whose power? They have to change it if they want to, not us, because we are so liberal or democratic or freedom loving. They have to change it, so that they get independency. More to stand on their own feet. But - also! - be careful with this, the unit "family" in african perception is a totally different one from first world perception of the same word.
I agree the change needs to come from within- but sometimes they need help. Just as the homeless need a hand willing to show them the way or the AIDS victims in Africa need outside people willing to give money or medications, they need others to help inform them so they can make their own minds up, be medicated or whatever they need.

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
I think those poor women should only somehow be assured that they have a free choice. But I would like if we would concentrate more on fighting hunger and AIDS. So many people die of hunger.
I know I change the theme now, just let me say, we canīt imagine how it is to be hungry. People in India or Africa can. I mean, shouldnīt we try to not eat anything for at least a week, and then see what we are able to discuss about with our oh-so-free-minds? We are so openminded because we can afford it.
I never said to not focus on the other stuff. but just because the red cross is needed in NY doesn't mean they shouldn't come to a victim's aid in rural Ohio, if you follow what I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
So - sorry, but I donīt click your links. First, because I can imagine clearly enough without seeing, second because I think the Internet is not a first hand selective information system for this theme.
Well that's okay but there are no images at the last link I provided. I put a warning about the graphic nature because an account is given about a ten year old girl who is genitally mutilated and it is quite graphic in its content (for example I was being generous saying most procedures were done with a razor blade!)

And that was taken from Amnesty International. I'm sorry but do you honestly think the only way people can understand this is to see it "first hand" meaning go to these countries??? We need to rely on other sources like Amnesty, like CNN, or whatever news show one may watch, because it is impossible for us to see "first hand" all of the world and all of the problems.

Besides, if I went to some of those countries as a woman I'm sure I would be harrassed or worse. Proof of that is the newscaster for CNN who cut her hair while going to Afghanastan to look more like a man.
__________________
oliveu2cm is offline  
Old 07-08-2002, 02:05 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
oliveu2cm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Live from Boston
Posts: 8,334
Local Time: 01:48 AM

Oops didn't see this while I was writing my last reply.

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Even if I have to admit the article of amnesty seems well written.

I neither knew that Europe and the U.S. had the same practices... puh! One time I am happy to be so lucky to live at this time and place. Another interesting vision is the one of hospitals, where it is said that only the very rich can afford to use a hospital for this procedure. Now what if Africa had enough hospitals? Not one on so and so many millions of people, but the same like in Europe. Would the system be opened to changes?

The article makes many good points, and tries to avoid accusations, which is fine. The only thing about it which I donīt like is the part about psychological effects... because it is clear a procedure like that affects your mind, isnīt it? - but Africa has absolutely nothing to do with Freud or psychoanalysis. So the effects may be true, but they seem to be watched through the wrong glasses.
Yes hospitals would help, most likely avoiding the death and infections that occur from this thing, but I still do not think it should be forced upon girls. (not saying you think this)

I think the reason they include the psychological effects is because to show in how many ways it negatively affects women who suffer this. I dont think they mean in a freudian way, either, but more of the "terror, humiliation and betrayl" women feel and how these acts result in women becoming more subservient than men- which I think is the reason this is still going on anyway.
__________________
oliveu2cm is offline  
Old 07-08-2002, 03:02 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
hiphop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the jungle
Posts: 7,410
Local Time: 07:48 AM
Ok, olive, again, good contributions. You make me think, fine.

The only difference is our thoughts about information: I can understand you, because you like to watch/ read/ be educated/ learn from every source you can. Continue like this, get it all!
I was like you, but I am not like that anymore, you know.

I have so many possibilities to get information that I pick out what seems best to me. And CNN seems shitty to me, sorry, because I am not interested in the most up to date but heavily manipulated information, but in the most realistic (sure, in my point of view...)

Plus, to see how information is manipulated (WATCH MORE TV !!!, Bono I love your cynicism) makes me sick and takes away positive power that I need (to post here, for example - itīs plus two hours that I am sitting at my work unpaid).

So I try to go to universties to get information, f.e. about what books I could read, what the position of different profs is (that had years to think about this and to make up their opinion), and I am also critical about infos I get there.

If you canīt afford to go to another continent (in reality I think you can, and you donīt have to be that fearful in Africa, compared to Afghanistan, where I would neither go as a man - ), well maybe one time you will be able to afford.

I do hope so for you, because it might give you, one more time, a totally different perception of how life can be lived, too (not by us maybe, but it is very very interesting - and I am not speaking of the points discussed above).
__________________
hiphop is offline  
Old 07-08-2002, 03:31 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
oliveu2cm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Live from Boston
Posts: 8,334
Local Time: 01:48 AM
fair play to you too hiphop, I think we both make each other think.

Sorry I mentioned CNN- I meant CNN to represent any sort of information medium, like newspapers, or whatever, and figured CNN would be the most universal one. (To be honest, I agree w/ you about them..)

Quote:
Plus, to see how information is manipulated (WATCH MORE TV !!!, Bono I love your cynicism) makes me sick and takes away positive power that I need (to post here, for example - itīs plus two hours that I am sitting at my work unpaid).
yes.. yes, yes. I took a media class in college about this- how the news leaves us feeling powerless, etc. amazing thing, that TV..

I hope one day I can see first hand too. I totally respect their cultures and hope that wasn't misunderstood. I think how they live is amazing and admirable. Just some practices I do not agree with- everyone deserves a fair shake at the best this world can offer them and sometimes certain cultures prevent people from achieving that. Even if I met women who suffered this and lived now after undergoing that procedure, I still would not condone it. However, I think like you said, I would see it a little differently perhaps.

Imagine taking a college trip to Africa or India rather than Montreal huh? Imagine the type of revolutionary thinking that would come from college students exposed to that world rather than the instant-gratification, intoxicated and cliched spring break world.
__________________
oliveu2cm is offline  
Old 07-08-2002, 03:36 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
sulawesigirl4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,416
Local Time: 12:48 AM
olive, let me pre-invite you to feel free to come visit me wherever it is I end up serving in the Peace Corps. Should be a good slice of real life in a place you might not otherwise get to see.
__________________
"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono

sulawesigirl4 is offline  
Old 07-08-2002, 03:46 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
oliveu2cm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Live from Boston
Posts: 8,334
Local Time: 01:48 AM
ahh.. the moment of truth

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
olive, let me pre-invite you to feel free to come visit me wherever it is I end up serving in the Peace Corps. Should be a good slice of real life in a place you might not otherwise get to see.
you're allowed to have visitors?

..maybe I will start saving. as well as preparing my mother. She gets nervous when I leave the state.
__________________
oliveu2cm is offline  
Old 07-08-2002, 03:52 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
sulawesigirl4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,416
Local Time: 12:48 AM
Re: ahh.. the moment of truth

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm


you're allowed to have visitors?

..maybe I will start saving. as well as preparing my mother. She gets nervous when I leave the state.
yep. Indeed, they encourage it. All about getting Americans out to see the world around them and such. (yeah, best start working your mom into the idea very slowly. lol)
__________________
"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono

sulawesigirl4 is offline  
Old 07-08-2002, 05:53 PM   #30
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 01:48 AM
I can't agree at all, ever, for any reason, with FGM. You are not telling me that any woman in her right mind under any circumstances would agree with it.

Maybe this seems extreme or intolerant or whatever, but it's a practice that needs to be stopped. Period. It is barbaric, painful, unnecessary, and has the potential to kill a woman. There is no male equivalent--or if there is, then I'm willing to bet that there are no men going, "But if they want to have half of their penis cut off and sewn up, well, that's their choice!"

No. No way. No woman should have to have her sexual organs removed and altered in such an unnatural way.

And you will not convince me otherwise.
__________________

__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright ÂĐ Interference.com