"This is not some made-for-TV backdrop for a campaign commercial," - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2003, 01:24 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
And yes, the goes both ways. I hope we don't get into a "our side's is more significant than your side's " debate.
I think this is just some . No wait, double that to .
And yes, the I'm writing here is indeed more significant that the I'm quoting.

C ya!

Marty

Old 05-07-2003, 07:31 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:51 AM
See I am equally critical of both. Clinton was not about blow jobs, although the Democratic Party would love us to believe that. I do not want to turn this thread into that debate.

Someone at school put Robert Byrd's text from the speech in my mailbox today to get me going!

In this case, I just think it is silly to ask cities to tone done any victory parades and celebrations for the troops to thank and welcome them home, but it is ok for this publicity stunt. That, in my mind is what it was.

Peace

Old 05-09-2003, 04:33 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 05:51 AM
This is really starting to get alot of press. Could this be something held againist bush in the coming months?
Old 05-09-2003, 09:17 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
This is really starting to get alot of press. Could this be something held againist bush in the coming months?
Like Americans have that kind of attention span.....
Old 05-09-2003, 09:22 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

wink

I'm no GW fan, but he did look a lot hotter in that fighter pilot suit than Dukakis did in that tank

Old 05-09-2003, 04:00 PM   #21
New Yorker

or Bill did in those running shorts. AHHHHH!
Old 05-09-2003, 04:43 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
or Bill did in those running shorts. AHHHHH!
Nooooo... flashbacks

Old 05-22-2003, 10:49 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
We are not talking war - we are talking sour grapes over a speech that gave Bush the photo op of the year.

And yes, the goes both ways. I hope we don't get into a "our side's is more significant than your side's " debate.
You got me thinking here...hehe

Bill Clinton on Aircraft Carriers:

March 12, 1993

April 17, 1996

July 4, 2000

or

Senator Leahy

Or how about this story about Liberal President Lyndon Baines Johnson:

Monday, May 12, 2003
LBJ Hit the Flight Deck Long Before Bush Did

All those Democrats attacking President Bush for landing on the deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln seem to have forgotten that one of their own, President Lyndon Johnson, beat Bush to the punch by more than 35 years.

LBJ not only landed on a carrier deck, but even sent the ship to sea just so he could make a widely publicized carrier deck landing.

According to Rear Adm. Stephen Pietropaoli, the Navy's chief spokesman, LBJ ordered the USS Constellation to leave port in San Diego and head out to sea so he could take a helicopter ride to the ship and land in its flight deck. Like Bush, he spent the night aboard, mingled with the crew and made a speech.

That done, the ship went back to San Diego, having given LBJ the publicity platform he sought. Adm. Pietropaoli told USA Today: "The next day it [the carrier] returned to port."

By contrast, the ship upon which Bush landed, the Lincoln, was already at sea and heading for port when President Bush flew out to greet the returning warriors.

Bush wasn't alone in visiting a warship already at sea, either. According to Adm. Pietropaoli, over the years presidents, members of Congress and Cabinet secretaries have all visited Navy ships.

But Democrats, frantic to find any issue at all, to use against President Bush, ignore the facts and the precedent set by fellow Democrat Lyndon Johnson.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:16 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Heck, this happened even as recently as Bill Clinton. Remember Bill's contemplative walk along the beach of Normandy in recognition of D-Day a few years back? Totally staged.

1)Bill stooped down to arrange some rocks in the form of a cross. Later we find out there are no rocks on that beach, and an aide had placed those beforehand.

2)And the battleship conveniently in the background during the photos? Nothing "convenient" about it. In fact, I'm sure it was an inconvenience to the crew, seeing as how there were no battleships stationed there; that ship was brought in just for the photo shoot. And Sen. Byrd talks about the expense fo Bush's flight - it costs a lot more to move a battleship!
Old 05-23-2003, 09:26 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:51 AM
Rhetoric is a dish best served to those with short memories.

Thanks for the pictures Dreadsox - they really capture the "outrage" of Sen Byrd.