This Is Not A MiddleEast Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Scores killed in Thailand clashes

PATTANI, Thailand - Police gunned down scores of machete-wielding militants who stormed more than a dozen security outposts Wednesday, the bloodiest day yet in Thailand's troubled Muslim-dominated south. The death toll stood at least 112.

No group claimed responsibility for the highly coordinated assault by possibly hundreds of young militants, although past violence has been blamed on separatists seeking to carve a homeland in the Muslim-majority south of this predominantly Buddhist country.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

So the implication is that it's a Muslim problem?

(I'm asking if that's what you're implying, not assuming that's what you mean.)

The militant element of Islam is not isolated to the Middle East. It is showing up in Europe and has come to arms in the Far East.

Separately, it is a problem for Muslims at large as the "problem" is not the voice of a few, isolated "leaders".

Isn't fanaticism a universal problem? Sure, more Muslims have been in the press doing this stuff, but there are Hindu fanatics in India, Jewish fanatics in Israel, the U.S. and other countries, Christian fanatics...........it's all over.

While the statement "fanaticism is universal a problem" is true, it glosses over what is becoming less of a localized "problem" or a problem with an acceptable common denominator.

nbcrusader said:
While the statement "fanaticism is universal a problem" is true, it glosses over what is becoming less of a localized "problem" or a problem with an acceptable common denominator.

Is it, or is this how it's being portrayed?

verte76 said:
Isn't fanaticism a universal problem? Sure, more Muslims have been in the press doing this stuff, but there are Hindu fanatics in India, Jewish fanatics in Israel, the U.S. and other countries, Christian fanatics...........it's all over.

Exactly. :up:

It's nice to see you back in FYM verte, we missed you! :wave: :)

This particular problem seems to be ethnic. The Muslims are a group along the Malaysian border who have been repressed by the majority Thais. They don't have the same traditional language, but their kids have to speak Thai at school because politically they live in Thailand. It seems like the problem may be partially the Thai government, and not wholly that of the Muslims. Unfortunately, ethnic disputes are also universal.

A_Wanderer said:
Not all Muslims are terrorists, a lot of terrorists happen to be Muslim.

I think this is true. It'd be terribly unfair to accuse all Muslims of being terrorists, but it is true that many terrorists happen to be Muslim.

verte76 said:
I think this is true. It'd be terribly unfair to accuse all Muslims of being terrorists, but it is true that many terrorists happen to be Muslim.

Why is it that when talk of militant Islam appears, we start walking on egg shells with talk of:

fanatic militancy in general is the problem
There have been evil Christians (and don't forget the crusades)
Not all muslims are terrorists
Etc.

We become so sensitive to the implications of how we describe a problem that we become blind to the problem.

nbcrusader said:

Why is it that when talk of militant Islam appears, we start walking on egg shells with talk of:

fanatic militancy in general is the problem
There have been evil Christians (and don't forget the crusades)
Not all muslims are terrorists
Etc.

We become so sensitive to the implications of how we describe a problem that we become blind to the problem.

Perhaps. The problem, as I see it, is not Islam as a whole, but rather, the Wahhabist sect within the Sunni Islamic tradition. This is the primary brand of militant Islam. Unfortunately, Wahhabism has spread out enough to create problems in many parts of the globe. It started out as a tool of the tribal Arabic aristocracy, and now it's just a monster.

people need to be open minded, not just generalize about one-fifth of the world's population.. because that to me seems ignorant. The narrowing down to a particular strain of Sunni Muslim may help here. But once again it just seems like we are pointing fingers... trying to lay blame.
Sure, there is something called militant/radical/revolutionary Islamism. They have such thing called a jihad, which has several different applications and one of them involves violence unfortunately. Most Muslims do Not condone this, some do- and they get the attention. Sadly, the media attention is there to fuel the fire of fear and distrust of the Muslim world. I suppose it has succeeded with you.

I dont believe in violence so obviously I am read and LEARN why some people do resort to violence. No one can ever justify the murder of another human being... but this does not give me or anyone else the right to be ignorant and to generalize.

and... RIP to those who died in Thailand :(

We can always narrow it down further to "the leadership" or "part of the leadership" of the Wahhabist sect. Many of these people are not political because politics is too worldly for them. The word "jihad", properly speaking, means "struggle against sin" and is interpreted by most Moslems as a personal struggle against sin, not a holy war. It was the Wahhabists who really sold the idea of jihad as "holy war". Osama bin Laden grew up in Saudi Arabia, and it's easy to see where he got his ideas. I agree, let's not indict one-fifth of the world's population for this madness.

Back
Top Bottom