This is a one lady who women should pattern themselves after.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lara Mullen said:

:up:

I don't think she was showing much courage, I think what she did was dangerous. She was lucky the person didn't have a weapon. If I had my belongings tea leafed I wouldn't run after the person. Common sense would tell me to get on the phone to the police rather than put my life, or someone elses, in danger.

Does it bother you that folk here are going to split hairs?

:shrug:

Cleary she gauged the situation correctly, ascetained the kid didn't have a weapon , nor did she beat the kid senselessly.

She demonstrated that she is a sound, clear thinking person.

She said she "felt like killing him" was clearly not literal, as suggested by one poster, however any level headed person understands it was a figurative statement in nature.

Do you know how many times my wife has said she wanted to "stangle" me on a weekly basis?;)

I know if this was posted by a female here the thread would be ranked 6 stars, however some can't handle the message when viewing the messenger-your biased is clearly evident.:angry:

The most ironic thing is that for those women that oppose my view of this situation are usually the strongest proponents for women's rights, women' s equality and women serving in the military; so it would take great moral courage for those take an honest assesment of their own sense of integrity.

Do you have it in you?
:wink:

<>

Last edited:
woman or man
one of the best ways to get hurt is to go after someone who is willing to commit a crime

diamond said:
Cleary she gauged the situation correctly, ascetained the kid didn't have a weapon , nor did she beat the kid senselessly.

I know if this was posted by a female here the thread would be ranked 6 stars, however some can't handle the message when viewing the messenger-your biased is clearly evident.:angry:

How was she sure? :slant:

My opinion of this is based on having been burgaled last year. I got in touch with the police and waited for them to arrive. I believe that's the most sensible way to react and I hope people I know would do the same in that situation rather than try and get the person.

83-year-old woman foils would-be purse snatcher

Updated Sun. Mar. 16 2008 9:46 AM ET

The Associated Press

SANTA FE, N.M. -- An 83-year-old great-grandmother thwarted a would-be purse snatcher with a gas nozzle and an iron grip.

Bernie Garcia said a young man approached her at a gas station as she was buying fuel for her van and asked for money. When she told him she had spent all her spare change on gas, he tried to grab her purse.

"But I had it wrapped around my wrist twice," Garcia said, and he was unable to pull it away.

She fought back, spraying his shirt with some gasoline. Both of them kept hold of the purse, and he pulled her to the ground and dragged her a short distance until another man confronted him.

The second man demanded, "Turn her loose, you something something," Garcia said.

The would-be mugger jumped into a nearby vehicle and fled. But a witness got the license plate number, and minutes later, police stopped the car. It had been reported stolen from Espanola, said Santa Fe Deputy Police Chief Aric Wheeler.

Garcia and a witness identified one of the men inside as the attacker. He and two other men in the car were charged with robbery and conspiracy.

"They got caught and I'm so glad," Garcia said.

She said she felt fine after the attack, and police say she declined medical attention at the scene. But when she got home, she said, she felt faint and went to bed and woke up Thursday very sore. Her son, a former firefighter, checked her out and found no broken bones.

"My son said, `Why didn't you just give (the purse) up?'" Garcia said. "`Hell no,' I told him. That was my purse. I was fighting for what was mine.
This is one old lady I wouldn't mess with.

BBC News Sunday May 4

Three elderly women have been robbed in their homes in Belfast.

In the first incident, an 83-year-old was grabbed around the neck by a man at her Tates Avenue home in the early hours of Sunday.

The woman and her 65-year-old daughter were threatened and told to hand over their handbags.

And in a separate incident, a 72-year-old woman was treated for shock after a burglary at her east Belfast home.

Three men entered the house at Reid Street just before 0100 BST on Sunday. The woman was threatened and held down. The thieves made off with money.

In County Antrim, three masked men robbed an elderly couple in their Carnlough home.

The thieves broke in through a rear window at about 2220 BST on Saturday.

They shone torches into the couple's eyes and told them to remain in bed while they ransacked the house.

At one point they pinned the man to the bed by his arms. They left with a large sum of money.

Knifepoint

A short time earlier, three men armed with a knife held up a fast food outlet in west Belfast.

They forced staff at the Westwood Centre premises to empty the safe and tills.

Police said they made off with a large amount of money.

In east Belfast, a masked man robbed a shop after threatening staff with a knife.

He went into the shop at Imperial Street at 2020 BST on Saturday.

The robber took money from the till and demanded more from the safe. A purse belonging to a member of staff was also taken.

if you want some more then click on the link and see the related stories
these stories would be more common IMO

Lara Mullen said:

How was she sure? :slant:

I give her credit with the ability to read the situation as most fairminded ppl outside of here have, the point is not always to be a victim-only if its sensible as in this case.

I'm reposting the vid clip to show that the person in question is not a power hungry meat eater.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/former-boxer-beats-burglar/848324353

The same thought goes with the older women in their stories:up:

<>

yes, perhaps then criminals would start threatening people with a bunch of tulips instead :wink:

Or if the Irish enjoyed the 2nd Amendment as we do here in the States many Irish thieves would become florists.

:sexywink:

2nd amendment or not I reckon that on average people who are out to rob someone do have some sort of a plan and a weapon
most of them don't just go out and hope for the best
unless they show the same amount of wit as you do :wink:

Last edited:
diamond said:

How did she gauge the situation? She saw him jump out of the window and she chased him. He could have had a weapon hidden in his clothing, he could have beaten her with his fists or he could have taken the ice scraper away from her and beaten or killed her with it.

She said she "felt like killing him" was clearly not literal, as suggested by one poster, however any level headed person understands it was a figurative statement in nature.

If you are referring to my post here, I never quoted her as saying she wanted to "kill" him, I quoted her as saying she wanted to throw something at him. Very different statements. And even if she had said she wanted to kill him, I don't think anyone would have assumed she meant that in a literal sense.

Wrong. I don't form opinions on any particular subject based on who starts a thread.

The most ironic thing is that for those women that oppose my view of this situation are usually the strongest proponents for women's rights, women' s equality and women serving in the military; so it would take great moral courage for those take an honest assesment of their own sense of integrity.

This has NOTHING to do with gender. I don't think anyone, male or female, should chase a criminal down over replaceable material possessions. I don't want anyone to lose a parent, husband, wife, brother, sister or friend over some cell phones and video games. I'm sorry, but I would rather take the loss.

YOU made it about gender when you suggested that women should model themselves after this person.

Dear oh dear, it has everything to do w/gender hence the large coverage and national media story.

Crawl from beneath that rock of denial, sister.

This wasn't Dog the Bounty Hunter chasing down another nimrod with his 3 clones and a rather large bimbette.

My head is spinning now.:huh:

Regardless of everything I want that lady covering my back more than most men in FYM with the exception of Irv#5.11 of course.

:wink:
<>

Last edited:
diamond said:
Crawl from beneath that rock of denial, sister.

Are you sure you won't reconsider going for standup? Cause that's pretty damn funny coming from you.

According to the woman herself, she took off running after the thief as soon as she saw him. That is in no way properly gauging the situation. That is acting on impulse. That the kid didn't have a knife, gun, or strong desire to harm her is nothing but sheer luck on her part.

What if he had a knife? What if she popped him on the head with the ice scraper and he turned around and slashed her across the face, or pulled a gun and shot her? I don't think she would've considered it worth the gamble, and I don't think you'd be singing her praises either.

Again, from her own words she admits she took after him without much of a thought. Your claim that she properly gauged the situation is therefore false. She got lucky. That's it.

Sometimes one has a few seconds to gauge a situation and can usually do it correctly.:

Self-trust is the first secret of success. (Ralph Waldo Emerson).

Armchair quaterbacks, drama queens, the self absorbed and victimhood mentality folk have difficulty with split decisions.

It's ok, may Jack Bauer sing you lullabyes one day.

:hug:
<>

Lara Mullen said:
My opinion of this is based on having been burgaled last year. I got in touch with the police and waited for them to arrive. I believe that's the most sensible way to react and I hope people I know would do the same in that situation rather than try and get the person.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, Lara.

I was robbed at gunpoint several years ago and when the store owner asked why I didn't reach over and press the silent alarm I told him my life was worth more than the three hundred cash the thief made off with.

If that's a "victimhood mentality" then so be it - I'm just happy I didn't get shot.

beegee said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this, Lara.

I was robbed at gunpoint several years ago and when the store owner asked why I didn't reach over and press the silent alarm I told him my life was worth more than the three hundred cash the thief made off with.

If that's a "victimhood mentality" then so be it - I'm just happy I didn't get shot.

beegee-

having a gun in your face compared to a skinny tennager bolting out your window w/a a bag on your goods are 2 different things.

i am glad you made the decision not to move, i would have did the same.

you followed your gut.:up:

<>

diamond said:
having a gun in your face compared to a skinny tennager bolting out your window w/a a bag on your goods are 2 different things.

I agree, I was really just sounding off of what Lara had said.

The point is, this woman had no idea if the kid had a gun or not.

She took a very big risk.

Diemen said:
Again, from her own words she admits she took after him without much of a thought. Your claim that she properly gauged the situation is therefore false. She got lucky. That's it.

So diamond if this ever happens to you, feel free to handle it the same way..

jk - I don't really want to see you hurt.. or anything.

Diamond I have already warned you about using alters to rate your threads 5 stars or vote in polls. Your alter is now being disabled.

beegee said:

The point is, this woman had no idea if the kid had a gun or not.

She took a very big risk.

Exactly. I think she was just very lucky.

compared to a skinny tennager bolting out your window w/a a bag on your goods are 2 different things.

I wouldn't care if it was a skinny teenager or not. Teenagers can still carry weapons. :der:

Sicy said:
Diamond I have already warned you about using alters to rate your threads 5 stars or vote in polls. Your alter is now being disabled.

That's probably gonna to hurt his feelings I think.:angry:

<>

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom