this hit the nail on the head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
Here is our national debate, America. Are we proud of it?

01KELL.jpg

sd

Good grief! There is way too much :rant: :rant: :yell: :yell: going on in politics. People on both sides of the aisle are screaming "liar" and other names. I know politics isn't supposed to be a tea party, but come on, all of this rancor is not necessary.

Seriously though, this is a topic I thought about today. The USA is a country where the two reigning parties are so close together in the political spectrum, but where there is so much hatred between the two. I mean, if measured on a worldwide scale, then both the Democratic as the Republican party are on the right side of the political spectrum (right as in opposite of left). The Democrats are probably a bit more to the centre, but they're both right-leaning parties. However, they seem to divide the US population so much I sometimes wonder if the biggest danger to the USA isn't a terrorist attack, but a eternal distrust between the two reigning political parties.
Is this because of the 2-party structure? That you either have a Republican administration or a Democratic one, but that they are never forced to constantly work together and that there is at least a third party for cooperation/opposition (yes, I know there are shared initiatives, but they are far less than the issues where they vote along party lines).

So this national debate isn't that ridiculous, you only need to address the real cause of it and not the signs of who's lying or not.

C ya!

Marty

You're right, Popmartjin, there's not that much difference between our two parties in terms of ideology. Both are basically conservative parties. And yet there's so much friction between the two. It's weird. What's the :rant: :yell: really based on? Nothing? Egos? Trivia? I don't know.

There is a belief about the 2000 election, that Ralph Nader might have cost Al Gore the election. I'm not sure I agree with this. Might it have been the sheer conservativism of the Gore-Lieberman ticket?? I mean, egads, that was the most conservative Democratic ticket in something like 50 years!

The worst thing about the whole mess is that I really don't think *anything* can be done about it. This may be why so many people don't bother to vote. It sucks that we can't even vote for social democrats.:rant: :yell: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
Citron said:
what can be done about it?

A benevolent dictatorship?

Efforts to address some of the symptoms of pay-for-play politics only shift the problem elsewhere - it does not eliminate the problem.

verte76 said:
It sucks that we can't even vote for social democrats.:rant: :yell: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I think third parties are key to this, yeah, Verte! I wish the newsmedia would take some leadership here too by not reducing everything to either "this is waht the right thinks" or "this is what the left thinks" (for example, all those talking head shows like Hardball, Crossfire, blah blah blah).

And I'm not talking about options "in between" the left and right. I'm talking about a new way altogether.

NBC, could I talk you into elaborating a bit more? "Pay for play" LOL. Would be funnier if it weren't true!

SD

Good point Sherry. I think some of these "talking heads" on the talk shows are basically celebrities and not "political experts". They make the whole thing too simplistic. The role of the media in this circus is disastrous, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom