This Day in History

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
On Oct. 31, 1517, Martin Luther posted the 95 Theses on the door of the Wittenberg Palace church, marking the start of the Protestant Reformation in Germany.

That's right, I recently obtained a copy of those theses. They're fascinating. This isn't anti-Catholic. Those people had no business trying to make money with indulgences. It was immoral and doctrinally unsound. Thankfully it's been a few centuries since those were for sale.

You know, this was a great day for the Church--ie, the whole Body of Christ--in many ways. I wish and pray for the unity that Jesus wanted, but at the same time, unity can't be used as a club to force people go along with what is clearly corrupt and wrong. He forced the Counter-Revolution, which was a good thing for Catholics.

In sum, :up:

Sherry Darling said:
You know, this was a great day for the Church--ie, the whole Body of Christ--in many ways. I wish and pray for the unity that Jesus wanted, but at the same time, unity can't be used as a club to force people go along with what is clearly corrupt and wrong. He forced the Counter-Revolution, which was a good thing for Catholics.

Agreed on all accounts. The Counter-Revolution is one of the most important periods in Catholic history. At that period in time, the Church needed reformation, without a doubt.

Sherry Darling said:

This Catholic agrees.

Martin Luther was right to question Christian orthodoxy of his day. I'm waiting for the modern-day "Martin Luther" to protest against this current orthodoxy.

My main gripe against Martin Luther was that he illustrated the Book of Revelation--and no other book--kicking off an unhealthy, five century obsession with apocalypticism.

Melon

"Martin Luther was right to question Christian orthodoxy of his day. I'm waiting for the modern-day "Martin Luther" to protest against this current orthodoxy."

Not sure my reply fits, but progress in race relations in the U.S. and the world was set way back with the death of Martin Luther King Jr.

On...

"current orthodoxy"

Please avoid TBN :sad:

*tHe tRuTh iS ReAllY oUt TherE...

JuSt bE CarefUl wHerE yOu LoOk*

melon said:
Martin Luther was right to question Christian orthodoxy of his day. I'm waiting for the modern-day "Martin Luther" to protest against this current orthodoxy.

It may be difficult to believe, but many Catholics share your view.

Cheers to Martin Luther!

People should acknowledge he was an OUTSIDER. He wasn´t part of any group he had to follow. He used his own thoughts, his own virtue. Have you ever heard about Luther´s life? About his time in Rome? His opposition to the Pope?

Luther didn´t plan to have such an overwhelming effect. Sometimes history needs persons who express their anger at the right time at the right place.

I agree, Martin Luther was the right man at the right time in the right place! Protesting is good for you! I'd like to protest some of the crud that's going on too. If Roy Moore gets elected governor of my state, God forbid, I'm going to protest at his inauguaration.

Back
Top Bottom