Thinspiration - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:15 PM
Thinspiration

Obviously eating disorders are quite complex, but this study showed that even teenagers with no history of eating disorders had a drop in self esteem and increased feelings of negative body image after viewing photos of these thin celebrities (on the "pro ana sites" which also apparently focus on these photos) You can't blame eating disorders on these celebrities but you also can't overlook the power they have in the whole scheme of things.

I am far from being a teenager but I will be honest and admit that I have feelings of poor body image when I look at those girls and women. I know that they are too thin and don't look healthy, but at the same time it makes me think I am huge and overweight. I know intellectually that I shouldn't feel that way, but you really can't intellectualize it all the time. I know that my issues stem from other factors as well, but to be honest the pictures still do have that effect on me sometimes. The magazines call them too thin, but at the same time they call women who are of a healthy weight "fat" and point out all their "flaws" such as cellulite et al. So where is there any healthy rational media attitude about all of this? Other than the Dove campaign, where is it? You can avoid the internet and sites like that, but the images of celebs and fashion magazines are everywhere. I avoid the magazines as best I can, but couldn't the media also just be more responsible? In no way do I let all of that define me, but it does get difficult to deal with sometimes. I can't imagine what it is like these days for young girls and teenage girls.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/sto...2182068&page=1

"Some Web sites reveal how young people are attempting to become like their pencil-thin idols.

Images of emaciated celebrities and models provide what these sites call "thinspiration" — promoting unhealthy dieting as a way of life.

New research published in the European Eating Disorders Review found that teenagers with no history of eating disorders suffered from a drop in self-esteem and negative body image after just 25 minutes of exposure to these so-called "pro-ana" and "pro-mia" — pro-anorexia and pro-bulima — sites"

http://www.sundayherald.com/56600

"The Sunday Herald can also reveal new research has found teenagers with no history of eating disorders suffer from a drop in self esteem and increased negative body image after just 25 minutes of exposure to pro-ana sites.

The study, published in the European Eating Disorders Review and carried out on a group of female students aged between 18 and 20, found that after looking at a specially constructed pro-anorexia site they could not maintain previous positive feelings about themselves. They felt a lack of control about their bodies, decreased self esteem and more negatively about their self-image.

Dr Anna Bardone-Cone, of the University of Missouri-Columbia, who carried out the research, said the controlled study revealed a general trend of “girls all feeling badly about themselves”.

“As an initial study it did reveal they felt worse about themselves after viewing the site,” she said. “The phenomenon of pro-ana sites is only in the early stages of being understood.”

Despite such evidence that the sites are harmful, experts are divided over whether the government could or should ban them.

Last year the national Eating Disorders Association worked with several major internet service providers to shut sites down but spokesman Steve Bloomfield said the exercise probably won’t be repeated.

“There are too many sites, on too many hosts, and there are too many users – if one site closes, another one opens,” he said. “Very few of these site owners refer to the serious health effects of anorexia, such as osteoporosis, damaged fertility and the significant increase of heart disease. ”

Dr Chris Freeman, a consultant psychiatrist who runs the Cullen Centre for Eating Disorders at the Royal Edinburgh Hospital, said his patients were strongly advised not to log on to the sites.

“They do promote an unhealthy lifestyle and a lifestyle that promotes a disease. But the problem is that you can’t censure the internet, you can’t police it.”

Old 07-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:15 AM
Eating disorders are at epidemic levels, especially in the U.S. , if you consider the rise in obesity. I really believe that most of these disorders begin in some form in children & schools should address this with preventative education (wishful thinking - this would mean that they would first have to clean up their lunch programs ). With such an increase in people who have bad body image perceptions & are actually doing something drastic about it (including surgeries), it's scary to think what our
society is going to be in 10 years!

Old 07-12-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

^ Exactly. I'm seeing a sea of people with stomachs the size of a pea and men and women and even children (as the case seems to be more and more these days), with plastic body parts. It's sick.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Far from being a new trend, the idea of thinspiration goes back to the days of “Twiggy”. The internet just brings this inspiration to us faster.

What has me confounded is the “measured drop” in self esteem by a brief visit to a web site. This begs the question of how strong was the self esteem in the first place? Do we question the thinspiration web sites, the Western cultural preference for thin, or the basic building blocks of self esteem?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:15 AM
Ah, Twiggy She made it so women didn't have to wear pantyhose. And for that she needs applause.

In seriousness, the drop in esteem is triggered by these sites, I'd think. Hormones, peers, developing and rising self-awareness all shape our state of self esteem as we know, but it can be triggered or shaken by many variables.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:15 PM
The Internet is powerful for both evil and good, and some of these may be triggering these awful eating disorders.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Re: Thinspiration

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

“They do promote an unhealthy lifestyle and a lifestyle that promotes a disease. But the problem is that you can’t censure the internet, you can’t police it.”
I always feel so much anger when I see irresponsable people who wants to spread such misery to others . I mean, If you want to screw your health, have rotten teeth and look like shit it is your problem, but don't encourage others to do the same. At the end it is not an "internet" problem, the roots are in the attitude of many people who think that their actions and their sayings doesn't have a negative impact over others.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:53 AM   #8
Refugee

Being a naturally 112 lb, 5'10", sixteen year old girl with no eating disorder, I can tell you that just being at this weight naturally isn't fun all the time. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change it either way for the world, but what many girls who want to be thin don't realize is how tough it is. Aside from being made fun of or having people talk about you being anorexic constantly, I have problems where I can be cold even if it's hot outside because I have no body fat to keep me warm. When I get sick, I get sick longer than most people, and I can't even tell you how hard it is to find jeans for this body type because people expect me to be shorter if I'm this thin. I wish girls with eating disorders would realize that they shouldn't strive to be so thin because if I'm having these mild problems naturally, think of how they'd be when they weigh so little by starving themselves.

I think that most girls want to be thin not only because of a distorted self-image but because they are striving to gain the approval of guys. In my school, at least, most guys want the thin, beautiful girls so some girls go to extremes to be perfect enough for guys. Some girls, it's weight. Others, it's obsession with their hair or make-up or clothes. To be honest, I can't think of a single issue I have with myself that isn't related to trying to impress a guy.

But those are just my observations.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:37 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Some of those sites are pretty sick.
On the one hand, if you find some of the extreme pictures attractive or something to strive for, you probably have a problem already (not that the sites help anything). But it seems like sites like that could encourage someone who's already on the edge of developing a problem.

On the topic of magazines...I love how they pretend to try to encourage "healthy" bodies and make big stories about every celeb that gets really thin. But at the same time anyone who's only borderline underweight gets labeled "curvy."
Old 07-24-2006, 04:07 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:15 AM
Whats wrong with curvy?

Anyhow these sites aren't the "problem" but they are sympotmatic of it.

Anyhow
Quote:
Curvy women are more likely to live longer than their slimmer counterparts, researchers have found.

Institute of Preventative Medicine in Copenhagen researchers found those with wider hips also appeared to be protected against heart conditions.

Women with a hip measurement smaller than 40 inches, or a size 14 would not have this protection, they said.

The researchers say hip fat contains a beneficial natural anti-inflammatory.
link
Old 07-24-2006, 04:15 AM   #11
Jesus Online

The fact that this above is considered curvy is a sign of our times.
Not a comment toward you, A_W.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:26 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:15 AM
I could post some more varied pictures
Old 07-24-2006, 05:03 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

actually it'd be interesting to see men post pics of what ermm "body types" they find attractive...although I'm sure it'd turn into another breast thread.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:17 AM   #14
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Being a 6 foot large girl (im overweight by about 20 pounds but am in no rush to move it hahahaha) I have neve runderstood the obsession over being skinny, ribs sticking out concave belly and the like. I think women like Keira, Nicole, KAte Bosworth and all of them look absolutely foul, and i mean it 100%. I am not envious of them, or want to be thin, and it actually disgusts me that THAT look is seem to be beautiful?! I'm so confused!!

Bah. I've always had friends, crushes, boyfriends, flirted my way through high school and enjoyed every minute. I think it shows when girls as skinny as some celebs are who STILL lose weight show that no matter what your size if, if your fucked in the head, you always will be.

I just don't get why people can't just love the skin there in. You're not going to have a better life being underweight and skinny bones (same goes for being obese, but at least being obese is not acceptable like being skinny is!)
Old 07-24-2006, 05:30 AM   #15
you are what you is

Local Time: 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
What has me confounded is the “measured drop” in self esteem by a brief visit to a web site. This begs the question of how strong was the self esteem in the first place? Do we question the thinspiration web sites, the Western cultural preference for thin, or the basic building blocks of self esteem?
was thinking the exact same thing

and have no answers to the questions