Things Are Ghetto Fabulous At U Of Texas Law School - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:18 AM
Things Are Ghetto Fabulous At U Of Texas Law School

They didn't think it would offend their minority classmates Maybe when you're the majority somewhere by that large of a margin, you become even more insensitive to how your actions could possibly offend. You'd think when a MLK statue was egged a couple of years ago, that students might be more aware. I guess not.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — A group of first-year law students at the University of Texas at Austin has been chided by the dean for participating in a "Ghetto Fabulous"-themed costume party and posting pictures from it online.

The party is the latest racially insensitive incident to emerge from the university, which has struggled for years to boost minority enrollment and make students of color feel welcome.

"Among the many ways to happily party in Austin, this particular one was singularly heedless and odious," Dean Larry Sager said in an e-mail Friday to the law school's student body.

Nick Transier, a first-year student who attended the party in September and posted pictures on his Web site, said nobody meant to offend anyone of any race.

"We had no intention by any measure to choose a group or class of people and make fun of them," said Transier, 26, of Houston.

But the photos — in which partygoers carried 40-ounce bottles of malt liquor and wore Afro wigs, necklaces with large medallions and name tags bearing traditionally black and Hispanic names — upset some black law students, said Sophia Lecky, president of the Thurgood Marshall Legal Society.

"I just thought overall that it was kind of insensitive, that it was mocking a group of people or a class of people in just a real stereotypical or negative way," said Lecky, whose group aims to improve the academic and social climate for black UT law students.

Sager met with about 18 students who were at the party and said he is convinced they didn't think their actions would offend classmates. No disciplinary action was planned.

Transier said he and other partygoers have apologized to members of the Thurgood Marshall Legal Society.

About 70 of UT's roughly 1,300 law students are black, according to preliminary enrollment figures. There are about 800 white students, 225 Hispanic students, 75 Asian students, 55 foreign students and 75 whose ethnicities were unknown.

Former UT President Larry Faulkner ordered sweeping changes in curriculum and culture in 2004 after a series of incidents that included the egging of the Martin Luther King Jr. statue and fraternity parties where blacks were portrayed in Jim Crow racial stereotypes.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:18 AM
Whatever. People need to stop being so insecure.

I´ve heard of "cowboy" parties with people wearing shirts and hats and handkerchiefs and no one is "offended".

Old 10-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
The Fly

Sounds like a scene out of an MTV rap video.......surely nobody is offended by that!
Old 10-17-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
Whatever. People need to stop being so insecure.

I´ve heard of "cowboy" parties with people wearing shirts and hats and handkerchiefs and no one is "offended".
Was anyone making a stereotype of a race at this "cowboy" party? You really need to work on your analogies...
Old 10-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

When was the last time cowboys were discriminated against, was there any famous cowboy who led the fight for cowboy rights whose statue was egged?

Where there ever cowboy only drinking fountains and lunch counters? Were they forced to sit in the back of the bus? Lynched because they were cowboys? When all that happens, I'll see the comparison.

Women used to be treated like that in law schools too, and it took forever for women to even be admitted to law schools. I suppose there would be no problem with a costume party that mocked women either. Aren't lawyers/lawyers in training supposed to hold and uphold higher ideals than that? Haha, I guess. At least in this case.

People are trying to succeed in schools without being mocked and treated as if they're inferior-that's hardly comparable to a rap video or a cowboy costume.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

This is hardly a unique event. The college I attended had these same style Ghetto parties along with Pimps and Ho's, and white trash - redneck parties. No one got offended by those parties. In addition, no one was forcing people to go to this party, but then again someones always out to ruin the fun these days.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
This is hardly a unique event. The college I attended had these same style Ghetto parties along with Pimps and Ho's, and white trash - redneck parties.
And I bet I could guess the majority population on this campus...
Quote:

In addition, no one was forcing people to go to this party, but then again someones always out to ruin the fun these days.
No one's forced to go to klan meetings as well, doesn't make it less offensive...
Old 10-17-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

And I bet I could guess the majority population on this campus...

No one's forced to go to klan meetings as well, doesn't make it less offensive...
Unless you went to Howard, you know what the majority population is at nearly any college in this country. If this were a corporate party, I could understand people being offended, but it's a college party - hardly the places to go looking for maturity and political correctness.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:38 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Unless you went to Howard, you know what the majority population is at nearly any college in this country. If this were a corporate party, I could understand people being offended, but it's a college party - hardly the places to go looking for maturity and political correctness.
I understand I went to college as well, but these are law students not undergrads, their should be a higher standard.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:18 PM
This isn't too cool. I don't care if it's a college party, this isn't the most sensitive thing they could have done.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

So white people can't be ghetto?

I can't believe how much coverage stories like this get.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:25 PM   #12
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:18 PM
Some interesting exchanges posted to a U of T law student's blog concerning the party and the reactions to it.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-17-2006, 08:18 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:18 PM
Re: Things Are Ghetto Fabulous At U Of Texas Law School

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
...which has struggled for years to boost minority enrollment and make students of color feel welcome.
Well, it always helps if the author of the article is politically correct if they are going to write about lack of political correctness (or just insensitivity, I guess) elsewhere.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Law schools are possibly the most white professional program around. Way moreso than med schools, MBAs, etc.

In my class of 164 people, there is one black guy, a handful of east and south asians (no more than say 15 in total).
Old 10-18-2006, 08:55 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

All the more reason to be sensitive to race issues in a law school, in my opinion. It's law school, not frat kegger let's be immature time.

And certainly in a school where the statue of MLK was egged and where they portrayed African Americans in Jim Crow stereotypes-is that acceptable and just "fun" too? Would having whites walk around in blackface at a party at that school (or any school) be ok and just "fun"? I would assume that the less than stellar history of this school is the main factor for this party being an issue.