Things Are Ghetto Fabulous At U Of Texas Law School - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive

Old 10-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
So white people can't be ghetto?

Fraid not. To be frank a lot of current hip hop "ghetto fabulous" culture is harmful to black culture and is not helping real people who actually live in real ghettos. It certainly doesn't help when white kids enamored with black pop culture decide to try to hop on the "cool kids" bandwagon and co-opt the culture for their own entertainment. If a lot of young African Americans are ignorant about the destructive nature of this stuff, white Americans are doubly so.

As far as freedom of speech, people can have whatever kind of party they want. But they can't hide behind free speech and claim exemption from being accused of being racially insensitive.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:37 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:27 PM
Not to say that I am not interested at the big picture, here, but I'm also interested at a hidden issue in all this...the people involved with the party were discovered over the internet.

As a student affairs professional, we struggle with the rules of classifying the internet as evidence. For example, we can't exactly bust minors for posting pictures of them drinking alcohol.

I'm wondering if the results of this issue will further change using the internet as evidence in university judicial affairs.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:09 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

Fraid not.
I respectfully disagree. Ghetto is not exclusively black. But that's beside the point.

The blog yolland linked states that the party was off campus and some of the people that attended do not attend UT. I wasn't aware that universities had the ability or right to monitor off campus parties.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:03 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

I respectfully disagree. Ghetto is not exclusively black. But that's beside the point.

Poverty is not exclusively black. Poor neighborhoods are not exclusively black. A literal definition of the word ghetto cannot be limited to blacks. But ghetto used in the context of this thread and in the context of the party that was held is specifically black. That's the issue and is very much the point. White kids don't get to be "black ghetto" because they're not black. They don't get to put on black face and they don't get to make fun of the "ghetto fabulous" lifestyle because it's not theirs to mock. (I mean obviously, they CAN from a free speech perspective, but they can't expect to exempt from accusations of racism).
Old 10-18-2006, 11:18 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami

I'm wondering if the results of this issue will further change using the internet as evidence in university judicial affairs.
It's interesting to me as well. While I was in college there were many, many instances of kids getting busted because of things posted on the Internet, namely Facebook. Student Life and Res Life went after people for partying, underage drinking, and even stuff like having too many people in one house (city zoning laws say no more than 4 unrelated persons in one residence). The office always maintained they were not using Facebook, etc to bust people, but other students would complain so they felt compelled to look into it and then act. Many students were reprimanded because of Facebook groups they belonged to. For example, our nearest rival is Hope College so there was a group called Huck Fope for all the sports fans. I don't know about other schools, but mine used the Internet a LOT to bust people and if what they were doing wasn't quite illegal, they'd still get reprimanded or punished because it went against school policy.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:02 AM   #21
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 09:27 AM
Hmmmm, policing through the internet is a tricky one, on one hand if there are photos showing illegal things like under age drinking, do the police have to do something about it? Like in their duty of care? And use the photos as evidence?

On the other hand, i think people are getting overly upset over something that was a bit of fun. Yeah its a sterotype but its out there, the rap/hip hop scene flaunt it and i really think if its done with a bit of humour and no actual malice involved then people need to stop gettignr iled up at such insignificant things.

People need to learn to get the piss taken out of them. At our uni we had a 'haters' party where people dressed up as the KKK and the Camer Rouge and Nazi's and Al Queda Bosnian war lords and a few Saddam Hussains. IT was really funny seeing nazis and KKK talking to each other at the bar and then at the end of it we ended in a water and flour fight (the flour was mixed with red dye) so it looked like a blood bath and we all 'died'. It was hilarious!

But im guessing if this was held in the states we'd all be in gaol by now :/
Old 10-19-2006, 01:33 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

It's interesting to me as well. While I was in college there were many, many instances of kids getting busted because of things posted on the Internet, namely Facebook. Student Life and Res Life went after people for partying, underage drinking, and even stuff like having too many people in one house (city zoning laws say no more than 4 unrelated persons in one residence). The office always maintained they were not using Facebook, etc to bust people, but other students would complain so they felt compelled to look into it and then act.
Yes exactly! It is such a dilemna on this campus. Many students were not hired for positions on campus because the departments looked at their facebook profiles and saw something they didn't like.

The rules are so tricky, and it varies from campus to campus. I wonder if there are private institutions that can get away with using internet as evidence.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:21 AM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

Poverty is not exclusively black. Poor neighborhoods are not exclusively black. A literal definition of the word ghetto cannot be limited to blacks. But ghetto used in the context of this thread and in the context of the party that was held is specifically black. That's the issue and is very much the point. White kids don't get to be "black ghetto" because they're not black. They don't get to put on black face and they don't get to make fun of the "ghetto fabulous" lifestyle because it's not theirs to mock. (I mean obviously, they CAN from a free speech perspective, but they can't expect to exempt from accusations of racism).
Great post.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:25 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami

The rules are so tricky, and it varies from campus to campus. I wonder if there are private institutions that can get away with using internet as evidence.
Well, I can say for sure that ours definitely did! I'm not sure they would use it as evidence for the police, but they used it as evidence of events against school policy and they can force you into school counselling programs (the most "popular" one being their version of AA).
Old 10-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Wow, 10 years down the road one of these knuckleheads might be your lawyer...25 years down the road he might be your judge. Scary.

I'd like to drop these clowns into a real ghetto and see how they make out. In their full "ghetto fabulous" regalia, mind you.

Since it was an off-campus party I don't think you can point any fingers at UT Law, at all. It doesn't really say anything about the school, per se, only about the insensitivity/bigotry of some of the students.

It's sad to see how many people don't see an issue here. I don't think it's any sort of legal issue, but it's alarming to see racism being openly expressed. Certainly no one is so naive to believe that people aren't still quietly racist, but to see this sort of thing out in the open just shows how far we still have to go.

I guess my biggest problem is still that these bigots are Texas' future lawyers & judges
Old 10-31-2006, 04:22 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

(AP)Johns Hopkins University has suspended the Sigma Chi fraternity because of a "Halloween in the Hood" party that drew protests by black students.

The invitation to the party, posted on the Web site Facebook, encouraged guests to wear "regional clothing from our locale" with jewelry including "bling bling ice ice, grills" and "hoochie hoops."

The party, held Saturday night at the fraternity house, featured a skeleton pirate hanging on a noose.

Black Student Union members protested the party on Monday, saying the appearance of the image and the language on the invitation highlighted racial tensions at Hopkins and the strained relations between the university and the surrounding community.

Protesters held signs showing a historical lynching next to a picture of the fraternity's skeleton.

"We need to educate the student body because apparently some people weren't given much of a proper lesson in the history of our country," said Yasmene Mumby, 20, a junior and BSU member.

University officials suspended all the fraternity's activities pending a full investigation. President William Brody said in a statement that he was "personally offended" and called the matter "deeply disturbing."

Sigma Chi's international headquarters on Monday also ordered the chapter's operations suspended for 45 days and said a full investigation was under way. It said further disciplinary action was possible.

"We are naturally very concerned about these allegations, and are committed to holding every one of our members accountable to our fraternity's values of friendship, justice and learning," Mark Anderson, executive secretary of Sigma Chi, said on the fraternity's Web site.

More than 100 students attended a campus forum Monday night before a panel of top administrators. Three men who identified themselves as Sigma Chi members stood up during the meeting and apologized for the actions of the author of the invitation, calling it shameful.

Marvin "Doc" Cheatham, president of the Baltimore branch of the NAACP, said he intends to explore legal action against both the fraternity and the university.