They WILL Solve the MidEast Crisis!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
After Tony and Kofi fail, Brad and Jennifer try Mid-East diplomacy

Bill Clinton failed, Tony Blair drew a blank and Kofi Annan made little progress. But now a team of Hollywood film stars is about to visit the Middle East on a private peace mission, in the belief that their charms will work magic on the Israeli-Arab conflict.

Brad Pitt, his wife, Jennifer Aniston, and Danny DeVito are among the stars who aim to succeed where world statesmen have stumbled.

"The past few years of conflict mean that yet another generation of Israelis and Palestinians will grow up in hatred," reads a statement from Pitt and Aniston. "We cannot allow that to happen."

Quite how they intend to stop it is not entirely clear. The logic behind their mission, planned to take place before the end of the year, is not especially sophisticated.

Pitt and Aniston believe that most people in the region want a negotiated settlement with an end to violence, and imagine that by appealing directly to "ordinary folk", they can bring the warring parties together.

In a region suffering from peace initiative fatigue, however, Israelis and Palestinians have greeted news of the Hollywood initiative with bemusement and incredulity.

For some, the prospect of DeVito sitting down to talk peace with Hamas militants over a cup of sweet tea, or Pitt breaking bread at a sabbath dinner with hardline Jewish settlers, is preposterous.

Oz Almog, an Israeli sociologist, said: "Following Arnold Schwarzenegger's election as governor in California, it seems we are now joining the Hollywood revolution.

"From time to time, some celebrities think that they might help, and the media amplifies their mission. But this is an incredibly complex situation and I am afraid they are naive.

"Many Palestinians do not even have television sets. What is more, for the past three years here no one has listened to anyone, so what makes these people think they will listen to Danny DeVito?"

The stars are among a group of actors, directors and writers who have signed up to the ?4 million peace initiative called One Voice, launched by Daniel Lubetzky, an American-Jewish businessman.

They were persuaded to back the cause after Rhea Perlmann, who starred in Cheers and is married to DeVito, hosted a reception for Mr Lubetzky at their home in Los Angeles that was attended by more than 100 guests.

Other Hollywood figures backing the project include Pitt's co-star in Fight Club, Edward Norton, and Jason Alexander, a star of Seinfeld and Pretty Woman.

Mr Lubetzky plans to distribute computer terminals to community centres, schools and offices in both Israeli and Palestinian areas for use in an informal "referendum".

The actors will urge people to make their views known on the important sticking points that have thwarted peace negotiations, including the future of Jerusalem, national borders, the status of Palestinian refugees and access to disputed water supplies.

The organisers admit that none of the actors has any experience of the Middle East or of conflict resolution, but argue that this may be a good thing as they will be considered non-partisan.

Mohammed Darawse, the Palestinian regional co-ordinator of the project, is convinced that they can make a difference. "They asked intelligent questions when we met them and they clearly know the big picture," he said.

Hey, don't write them off. The politicians have screwed up big time. Who's to say these people can't do anything? Maybe it's time to stop expecting the politicians to clean up all of the messes.

I always love how people want celebrities to back out of causes just because they are celebrites. As if we're suppose to sit back and let the politicians do everything. Do they realize how many "politicians" have no background in politics? We're all politicians. Let them try, don't mock them because they want to help. It's just like all the people who bash Bono for the work he's done. No one else is doing anything, so why can't they? Yes the idea of Danny Devito talking to the people and changing their minds may seem a little silly, but so what.

I'm a little confused as to what exactly they plan to do that is in some way different than what dozens of others before them have done.

More importantly - are Ben and J.Lo involved too? :sexywink:

:lmao: :lmao:

NBC, I just learned about that technique in my conflict resolution class. It's called inducing a hurting stalemate--the consequences are so terrible that both sides agree to talk.

:lmao:

SD

It might help if Palestinian children no longer get taught in school that Jews are pigs and that the map of the area should no longer include a State of Israel. Then maybe the Penguin and rachel Green can get something accomplished.

Well the schools, esp. recently, having experienced demolishments, and curfews, shouldn't be a problem....
The solution is bringing hope to children who feel as though they have nothing to live for, since all that they have lived for was and is taken away from them.
Whoever can help should help... The problem becomes worse when people ignore the problem; when the problem is ignored, then you have suicide attacks.... It is a tactic for attention..
If we have more people in that area trying to help bring about peace, and I mean diplomatic people, not the IDF, not some stinky politician, but when you have good hearted people come for help, then peace is possible.
Its all about coming together...
Hopefully, I will be there soon....

-- You have Jewish people going into the settled areas as Humen Shiellds, you have people all around the world trying to bring about more attention, but rarely do you hear of the Jewish Humen Shields, or someone like Rachel Corrie... We need more people there, and if the person is famous, well, thats even better... Lets just hope they stick to there promise.

Some of us do not view Rachel Corrie as a hero. It saddens me that she wasted her life protecting tunnels that may have helped bring the materials in that helped to blow up the security personnel a few short weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom