"They Shot the Wrong Lincoln"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
Coulter on Sen. Chafee: "They Shot the Wrong Lincoln"

Right-wing pundit Ann Coulter titled her August 30 syndicated column on the Rhode Island Senate race: "They Shot the Wrong Lincoln." The headline is a reference to Sen. Lincoln Chafee (R-RI), whom she excoriated throughout the piece -- calling him a "half-wit" and a "silver-spooned moron[] -- while expressing her support for his challenger in the September 12 Republican primary, Stephen Laffey.

His primary is today.

If he loses
the GOP will lose the seat to the Dems.

Perhaps, Chafee could go independent and win in Nov.

Does he have the Jomentum?

September 7, 2006

The Honorable Condoleezza Rice

Secretary of State

US Department of State

Washington, DC 20520

Dear Secretary Rice:

I write to you with regard to the nomination of John Bolton to be US Representative to the United Nations. Today, the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations was scheduled to have a vote on Mr. Bolton's nomination. The decision on whether to hold that vote is in the Chairman of the Committee's hands. Chairman Lugar decided to hold the vote over to a later date, and I support that decision.

It is no secret that I have serious questions about this Administration's policies in the Middle East. As we tackle enormous problems in the region, most notably with Iran and Iraq, I believe we need to be successful in forging alliances. A critical part of that work is accomplished by our Ambassador to the UN.

One of the key issues with many of our allies is the situation with the Palestinians. I support the creation of a viable, contiguous Palestinian state living side-by-side in peace with its neighbor Israel. I believe progress on this front would be beneficial for the Palestinians, and futher America's, and Israel's security. The President, and you, frequently have spoken in favor of establishing a Palestinian state. On February 26, 2003, President Bush said "Success in Iraq could also begin a new state for Middle Eastern peace, and set in motion progress towards a truly democratic state." On February 22, 2005, the President said "Israel must freeze settlement activity." And on April 14, 2004, the President wrote to then-Prime Minister Sharon, "The United States supports the establishment of a Palestinian state this is viable, contiguous, sovereign, and independent, so that the Palestinian people can build their own future in accordance with the vision I set forth in June 2002 and with the path set forth in the roadmap."

Phase one of that Road Map states clearly that Israel will freeze all settlement activity. Yet, just this week, it is reported that 690 homes will be built in the West Bank settlements of Maale Adumim and Betar Illit. While the official US policy hs been against settlement activity, no credible observer could think that the US could not do more to stop these new actions.

While I am a strong supporter of Israel, and believer her security is non-negotiable, we should have a more balanced approach -- so that both sides can see that we are an honest broker for peace. I have been a long-time critic of the disparity between the rhetoric and the actions of the Administration on the subject of the Israeli-Palestinian peace process. However, now I fear that even the rhetoric is going to stop. Is this expansion of settlement activity a signal that holding both sides to their commitments under the Road Map is no longer official US policy?

It is my hope that answers will be forthcoming about our policy toward the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and the Committee can reconvene to debate Ambassador Bolton's confirmation.

Sincerely,

Lincoln Chafee

Sen. Lincoln Chafee is one of the few Republicans I like, so I'd actually be sorry to see him lose.

But then if he loses, the Democratic candidate will more than likely win in liberal Rhode Island. I guess there's a silver lining to it all.

Melon

http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/politics/2006/09/chafee_holds_narrow_lead_with.html

Update: Chafee holds narrow lead with 2/3 of the vote counted

Lincoln Chafee has a narrow lead over Stephen Laffey with about two thirds of the votes in:

Channel 12 reports that with 66 percent of 515 precincts reporting, Chafee has 22,613 to 19,761 of Laffey. That mean's with one third of the vote to be counted, Chafee has a 6 percentage-point lead.

With one-third of the vote, unofficial results from the Board of Elections gave Chafee 17,346 votes and to 15,034 for Laffey.

Melon

Chaffee and/or Lieberman could determine control of the Senate.

If the Dems win 50 seats and Lieberman wins
I expect him to vote with the GOP 50 - 50 split with Cheney being the tie-breaker.

That is why Rove was on the phone the second he lost.

http://forum.interference.com/out.p...cs/2006/09/chafee_holds_narrow_lead_with.html

Flash: Laffey concedes to Chafee at 10:40 p.m.

Cranston Mayor Stephen Laffey conceded the Republican nomination to Sen. Lincoln Chafee tonight.

At 10:45 p.m. U.S. Sen. Lincoln Chafee had a growing lead when Laffey acknowledged that he had lost.

With 81 percent of the votes counted, Chafee had 27,580 votes to 23,579 for Laffey. That gave Chafee a comfortable 8 percentage-point lead. Chafee gave his victory speech at around 11 p.m.

Shortly after Chafee greeted his supporters, the unofficial tally from the Board of Elections had boosted his lead to 29,814 votes to 25,704. That gave the senator a 7.5 percentage-point lead with 91 percent of the votes counted.

At the Biltmore hotel, Chafee could not contain his smiles as he thanked supporters.

"You inspire me," he said to the clapping crowd. Chafee said he believed that the state of Rhode Island had benefitted from his term, and, he said, "today's vote shows that Rhode Islanders agree."

Pausing for cheers, he thanked those said "yes to thoughtfulness, yes to honesty and yes to independence."

Hundreds of Chafee supports began celebrating shortly after 10 p.m. The mood was electric as campaign workers watched Laffey deliver his concession speech.

Governor Carcieri told the crowd: "We're rolling into November and we're going to have a sweep.''

But it won't be easy, Chafee said, looking forward to his challenge from Democrat Sheldon Whitehouse.

"Let us now turn our attention to the race ahead," Chafee told his supporters near the end of his speech. "It will take everything we've got."

Looks like Ann Coulter will be chomping at the bit for a while.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom