They found WMDs here in the States - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 08-15-2003, 04:34 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 04:57 PM
They found WMDs here in the States

Methamphetamines as Weapons of Mass Destruction
óBy Kathleen McFadden, The Mountain Times

August 15, 2003 Issue

A warning sign on the brink of a slippery slope, Martin Dwayne Miller has made North Carolina history as the first meth producer charged under a state law prohibiting production of weapons of mass destruction.

Watauga County Sheriff Mark Shook unveiled what he called, "a big surprise for meth producers" in charging Miller under the antiterrorist law that defines a chemical weapon as "any weapon, device, method, or substance that is designed or has the capability to cause death or serious injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals or their immediate precursors." Under normal drug laws, reports Kathleen McFadden in The Mountain Times, a meth producer would probably get six months in prison. Conviction under the antiterrorist law could result in 12 years to life.

"I understand the title of the statute is antiterrorism, but the statute is much more broad than that," District Attorney Jerry Wilson tells The Village Voice. Apart from the obvious potential for laws, such as the PATRIOT Act, to slip into areas completely unrelated to terrorism, eroding American civil liberties, there is also the social and economic costs of prisons: The Department of Justice reports that prisoners sentenced on drug-related crimes already account for 55 percent of federal inmates and 20 percent of state inmates.
-- Joel Stonington

Old 08-15-2003, 04:42 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 09:57 PM
This is scary. I hate drug dealers but should they get busted as "terrorists" with all of the political implications of such? I don't think so.

Old 08-15-2003, 04:44 PM   #3
The Fly
Local Time: 09:57 PM
Here in Colorado, there was a story about "meth bags" being found along the road and in dumpsters.

These bags contain kitty litter which is used to absorb the HCl and phosgene from methamphetamine manufacture.

That's right, phosgene. A bona fide chemical weapon.

Personally, I think it is ridiculous that methamphetamines are now being treated as a chemical weapon. Meth, unlike phosgene, is not a bona fide chemical weapon.

Another way the PATRIOT act is trying to get people for "terrorism" I bet they could even be held for a military tribunal without a lawyer or a phone call.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:51 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 02:57 PM
Oh well, sucks to be an illegal drug manufacturer/dealer
Old 08-15-2003, 05:35 PM   #5
love, blood, life
Local Time: 05:57 PM
I think this is why people are genuinely wary of the Patriot Act, because, as we can see, it's being used for other purposes besides terrorism.

Prosecute the drug dealer. Fine. I don't give a rat's ass about that scum, but do it under anti-drug legislation where it belongs.