There is no God but God, no luggage will be lost on this flight.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
Pentagon Seeks Source of Photos
Fri Nov 8, 1:49 PM ET
By PAULINE JELINEK, Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Pentagon (news - web sites) Friday was investigating to find out who took and released photographs of terror suspects as they were being transported in heavy restraints aboard a U.S. military plane.

Four photographs of prisoners ? handcuffed, heads covered with black hoods and bound with straps on the floor of a plane ? appeared overnight on the web site of radio talk show host Art Bell.
"Anonymous mailer sends us photos taken inside a military C-130 transporting POWS," the headline said.
33599%3C8723232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2326%3D954%3D%3B%3A%3B%3Dxroqdf%3E232334%3A936%3B74ot1lsi

The photos are the first giving a glimpse into security measures aboard any of the airplanes used over the past year as prisoners were transferred to prisons in and around Afghanistan (news - web sites) and elsewhere around the world, including to the high-security prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
33599%3C8723232%7Ffp66%3Dot%3E2326%3D954%3D%3B%3A%3B%3Dxroqdf%3E232334%3A936%3B72ot1lsi

It has long been known that prisoners were heavily restrained, and photos of prisoners bound and kneeling after arrival in Cuba early this year created a stir among human and prison rights groups.
The plane in the latest photos was a C-130, said Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Dave Lapan. But it wasn't yet determined Friday where it was going or when the photos were taken. Officials believe it was not an authorized photo and know it's release was unauthorized, he said.
33599%3C8723232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2326%3D954%3D%3B%3A%3B%3Dxroqdf%3E232334%3A936%3B6%3Bot1lsi

The Air Force and U.S. Central Command were investigating the breach, said Pentagon spokeswoman Victoria Clarke.
"We have very very tight restrictions on any images of the detainees for security purposes and because we have no interest in potentially holding detainees up for any kind of public ridicule," she told a Pentagon press conference.
It is at least the third time prisoner photos have troubled the Pentagon.
Though the Defense Department has limited the news media in the kind of photos it can take of prisoners from the counter-terror war, officials discovered that troops posed for photos with American Taliban captive, John Walker Lindh, as he was handcuffed and wearing a blindfold carrying an obscenity they had apparently scrawled across it.
33599%3C8723232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2326%3D954%3D%3B%3A%3B%3Dxroqdf%3E232334%3A936744ot1lsi

The military itself takes photos for documentation and individual soldiers often take their own photos as souvenirs of deployments.
In a court motion, Lindh's lawyers also said earlier this year that unofficial photos and videos of Lindh were taken aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Peleliu, where he was confined. Officials said an officer confiscated cameras and film and erased digital images.
Also as part of a court filing, Lindh's lawyers released a picture of him in Afghanistan, blindfolded, strapped to a stretcher and naked. Defense officials have said that while that photo may have appeared shocking, he was naked as part of his preparation for medical treatment.

I am sorry........

But if they are going to strap them in.......

Why not do it on the wing? Their seats are too comfortable.

Peace (To ALL)

Last edited:
What exactly is causing the stir among human and prison rights groups? Doesn't look like there was too many options with regards to restraining them on a plane like that. If these people are comfortable being terrorists, they can be comfortable terrorists tied up on the floor.

Lets not forget what happen to Pakistani soldiers on a bus when the terrorist they were transporting were not properly restrained as the terrorist in the above photo's are. Lets not forget that these people, given the opportunity, would kill themselves in actions to kill others.

U2Bama said:
Should we start transporting prisoners on Delta, first class?

no, i do not think they would be able to board due to delta's stringent "security checks"...

It doesn't look too comfy does it? I believe that this is the best that can be done under the circumstances.
Remember, it was former associates of these guys who took out the WTC, Blew up the USS Cole, bombed the african embasies, attacked the french oil tanker, killed hundreds in Bali, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Hats off to the military personell who have to deal with these scum bags.

the olive said:
It doesn't look too comfy does it? I believe that this is the best that can be done under the circumstances.
Remember, it was former associates of these guys who took out the WTC, Blew up the USS Cole, bombed the african embasies, attacked the french oil tanker, killed hundreds in Bali, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I was thinking the same thing. Before anyone starts feeling sorry for these guys, lets remember why they're being detained in the first place. They'll get over it.

This is in a way a demonstration of our commitment to human rights, the right not to be murdered, and justice for those involved in and committing terrorism. One only wishes that the Pakistani soldiers, murdered while transporting Al Quada prisoners, had put their Al Quada prisoners in similar restraints.

Angela Harlem said:
What exactly is causing the stir among human and prison rights groups? Doesn't look like there was too many options with regards to restraining them on a plane like that. If these people are comfortable being terrorists, they can be comfortable terrorists tied up on the floor.

Rights groups are probably concerned that there is no monitoring of the treatment these detainees are receiving. Are these people terrorists? Or just lowly foot soldiers supporting their homeland?

STING2 said:
Lets not forget what happen to Pakistani soldiers on a bus when the terrorist they were transporting were not properly restrained as the terrorist in the above photo's are. Lets not forget that these people, given the opportunity, would kill themselves in actions to kill others.

The actions on the Pakistani bus and the prison uprising are the reasons for the extreme measures.Many believe the treatment is inhumane.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Well isn't it nice to see the United States upholding its commitment to human rights.

The US is the one super power and standard bearer of due process and equal rights. Current US behavior is undermining decades of perceived proper policies.

paxetaurora said:
Aren't we supposed to be above this?

Many believe so, and are very concerned about US credibility in future international relations.

the olive said:

I along with most people am outraged at the above mentioned terrorist acts. I want justice and those responsible prosecuted. It is easy to focus our animosity on the ones we can get our hands on and attribute all evil deeds to them. It is very likely that the majority the detainees had no involvement in the acts. Bin Laden and his lieutenants have for the most part eluded capture. They are in hiding and afraid to come up for air. The war on terror has been a huge success. They have lost most of their funds, sources of funding, bases, ability to communicate, etc. Their network is dismantled, we should keep them from regrouping and rebuilding.

The American people want to have persons to focus their outrage on. It is comforting to know that we have 600-900 detainees at GITMO in Cuba. Recently under much pressure from Kuwait several Kuwaiti prisoners were released. They were in Pakistan digging wells and starting schools, etc. Some were elderly, one was missing a leg or something. I believe it is possible the majority of the detainees should be released. Are we are holding them for American public opinion reasons?

At Nuremberg high-ranking officers were held accountable and punished. Foot soldiers were not tried or detained any longer than necessary.

Some may have difficulty having any compassion or sympathy for these Muslims with the images of the trade towers collapsing still in our minds.
The truth may be that all of the afore mentioned attacks probably occurred without knowledge or participation from of our detainees.
If we have anyone in custody that was involved, then give them due process and punishment.

Bono's American Wife said:

I was thinking the same thing. Before anyone starts feeling sorry for these guys, lets remember why they're being detained in the first place. They'll get over it.

The question is, do we know why they are being detained?

Last edited:
I'd like to hear people discuss the thousands of lives that have been saved by the dentention of Al Quada personal. Lets not forget the rights of millions of innocent people not to be murdered. The military and intelligence services have a very important job, protecting the lives of US and other countries citizens in addition to their very own families and themselves. They have no interest in detaining people that they know have nothing to do with terrorism. The fact is, we could detain 100,000 people or 200,000 people, but the military and security services are only going after people they have evidence or think could be linked to Al Quada. It has been a very well planned operation and very successful in its goals.

I would consider it a violation of the human rights of the soldiers that have to transport these prisoners, who given the opportunity would kill anyone near them, not to have them restrained in such a way. The fact is, the restraints protect the lives of the soldiers as well as the Al Quada prisoner that are being transported. To do anything less would be immoral, and how many of you would want your friend or family member to be transporting such dangerous people without these safeguards?

I'd like to hear people discuss the thousands of lives that have been saved by the dentention of Al Quada personal. Lets not forget the rights of millions of innocent people not to be murdered.

Sting, I said the war on terror has been a huge success.
The fact is, we could detain 100,000 people or 200,000 people,
I don't think GITO is large enough.
the military and security services are only going after people they have evidence or think could be linked to Al Quada. It has been a very well planned operation and very successful in its goals.
I hope you are right. More light on it would quiet the skeptics.
To do anything less would be immoral, and how many of you would want your friend or family member to be transporting such dangerous people without these safeguards?
I don't think they are all Hannibal Lector. The previous failures occurred because they had hidden munitions and weapons under the loose garb. By this time they should have been thoroughly searched. Convicted murderers do not receive this treatment. I still believe it is an over reaction creating bad will.

deep said:

. Are these people terrorists?-dunno rather be safe than sorry..DB9

. The war on terror has been a huge success. They have lost most of their funds, sources of funding, bases, ability to communicate, etc. Their network is dismantled, we should keep them from regrouping and rebuilding.

George(deep)
"The war on terror has been a huge success"
Now that is the best compliment you gave this administration in a long time:up:
Congratulations.
There is hope for your soul:angry:

Also what Sting said:up:

DB9
:dance:

I'm not an expert on the transportation of violent criminals trained in the art of terrorism. I do know that one does not need a weapon to attack and kill someone, thats a fact. Restraining uncooperative people is difficult and without knowing exactly what each of the criminals is skilled in, extreme caution has to be taken. Military Police are proffessionals in doing this and have dealt with many situations that many of us would not know how to handle.

Just from looking at the pictures, I don't understand how anyone could look at that and say thats a human rights violation. What would you do differently in constraining these individuals that would 100% guarantee that there would not be any type of problem?

U2Bama said:
Should we start transporting prisoners on Delta, first class?

Delta?

A fate worse than death.

I guess it's an option.

deep said:
I want justice and those responsible prosecuted. It is easy to focus our animosity on the ones we can get our hands on and attribute all evil deeds to them.
I don't feel a lot of sympathy for these prisoners
I agree though that we should focus our anger at the right people

Back
Top Bottom