There is no cure for cancer/AIDS/HIV...or is there?!?!? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2002, 03:30 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:31 AM
There is no cure for cancer/AIDS/HIV...or is there?!?!?

muwhahahahahaha....

sorry, couldn't resist. moving right along...

My brother happened to bring this up in coversation the other day...he has devised his own conspiracy theory that there actually IS a cure for all three of the aforementioned diseases. He cites these reasons as to why the cure will never be revealed:
  • The MASSIVE amounts of money tied up in charities, donations, and healthcare.
  • The number of jobs provided by medical research and healthcare.
  • Quite simply- population control.

He also thinks it's possible that if you have the right amount of money and know the right people that it's possible to get cured, i.e. Magic Johnson.

I think while this is possible, it's not probable. What about everyone else? I'm curious if there has ever been any kind of articles or writings published about the posibility.

"We can put a man on the moon but we can't cure a disease? Yeah right." ~My brother.

Old 07-26-2002, 03:43 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:31 AM
isn't magic johnson simply a healthy HIV+ individual?
like plenty of others in NA?

Old 07-26-2002, 03:59 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 06:31 AM
Anti-retroviral therapy can sustain one's life indefinitely (and keep the viral load extremely low) provided one can pay for the $1,000 a year supply. 40 million Africans cannot, and will soon die unless the medicine is donated from the rich world, or the medicine is provided at sub-market prices. Magic Johnson, I would think, has no problem dishing out $1,000 a year to keep himself alive; the same is true for most of HIV+ North America.

A vaccine will probably be invented within ten years. Vaccines to complex diseases like HIV/AIDs are far more complicated than the simple rocketry used to propel us to the moon, technology that's been around since 11th century China.

Conspiracy theories make my head hurt.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:55 PM   #4
The Fly

You want medical conspiracy theories, take a look at all the Paxils and Zylofts and Prozacs and stuff. Pharmaceutical sales have gone through the roof in only a few years... there have been thousands of cases showing the horrible side effects of these drugs, yet they keep going. They're even mailing "anti-depressants" direct to people's houses now using (supposedly) confidential medical records!
Old 07-26-2002, 08:25 PM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 10:31 PM
I agree... the money tied up in research will prevent a "cure for HIV" from being discovered for a long time... while science may advance to that point i just think that capitalism won't allow that, for a while at least
Old 07-26-2002, 09:15 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorgie
I agree... the money tied up in research will prevent a "cure for HIV" from being discovered for a long time... while science may advance to that point i just think that capitalism won't allow that, for a while at least
Uh, care to expand upon this cynical and profound-sounding but hand-wavy accusation?

And Se7en, if your brother's so sure that cures for cancer and HIV are so simple to find, perhaps he'd like to go through the painful process of becoming a medical researcher and invent these cures so that he can snag all the money that there is to be made from inventing such medicines. The way he's thinking, he might as well accuse the government of inventing HIV in order to create work for medical researchers.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:18 PM   #7
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorgie
i just think that capitalism won't allow that, for a while at least
Ah yes.. A vague statement that quite frankly is full of shit.. Though I will admit it is all in how you take this statement and what specifically is being referenced by 'capitalism'... But it is a moot point to speculate as to what this means.. On a different note.. Evidence has been given by studies that a placebo works just as well for curing Depression as Zoloft and Prozac.

Allow me to insert a few quotes...

The Revival Of The AIDS Crisis
By Chad Stafko

"Oftentimes AIDS activists claim that the disease does not discriminate when selecting its victims. This is simply not true. Individuals who are in monogamous sexual relationships and have not engaged in promiscuous sex, have little chance in ever contracting the disease. "

"With the methods of transmission laid out, it becomes quite obvious that AIDS, unlike so many of the diseases that affect millions of Americans, is largely preventable if only individuals would not have multiple sexual partners, either in homosexual or heterosexual relationships. Yet, despite the obvious simplicity in preventing the spread of this disease, our government spends an enormous amount of money on AIDS."

"If AIDS, which some estimate affects an upper limit of 900,000 Americans, is truly only a minor cause of death among Americans, then why is such an enormous amount of federal funding allocated to the disease? After all, how much money should it take to tell Americans, and especially children, to not 'sleep around' and engage in homosexual relationships? "

"Our government spends in excess of $8 billion per year in AIDS-related programs. The question must be asked, "Should our government continue to spend this much money on a disease that is largely preventable?" The answer is clearly "No!" We should certainly continue to search for a cure, though arguably this is should not be a function of the government. However, funding for AIDS education should be cut and the funds moved to finding cures for diseases that are either passed on genetically or not largely preventable, such as diabetes and heart disease. By doing this, maybe more innocent people can be saved who are stricken with an unpreventable disease."

And one more by Chris Rock, which might relate to the above mentioned statement, but again, I won't speculate... "They can find a cure for AIDS, just as they can make a Cadillac that can last forever, but just like everything else.. there's no money in it, they will make it so you can 'Live With It'."

L.Unplugged

--Bill Clinton
Old 07-27-2002, 02:24 AM   #8
Refugee

A further problem with a conspiracy of this magnitude is that it requires an AWFUL lot of people keeping their mouths shut. People have long since blown the whistle on the tobacco industry in an age and society where whistle-blowing is encouraged (Linda Tripp notwithstanding).

Even if I buy the anti-business conspiracy that says they're sitting on such profitable ideas as the cure for AIDS and cold fusion (and I don't), I highly doubt that the everyone would be playing along.

More specifically, AIDS is caused by a virus, and we have been unable to cure ANY virus - just occasionally develop vaccines that put us a few decades ahead of the strain.

Further, cancer is just the generic term for cells growing and dividing at an unhealthy rate. It is caused by a variety of things (genetic, developmental, and environmental) that are hard to pin down and harder to correct.
Old 07-27-2002, 03:34 AM   #9
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite

Ah yes.. A vague statement that quite frankly is full of shit.. Though I will admit it is all in how you take this statement and what specifically is being referenced by 'capitalism'... But it is a moot point to speculate as to what this means..

Let me expain in simple terms, for all you gunslingers. The way our medical system works, based on the "theoretical (and imaginary) system" of capitalism needs something to capitalize off of. This means that if a "cure for HIV" was found, ALOT of people would be out of jobs. THE MAN, ie people who support unnecessary and old fashioned things like rights for guns, does not want change like this because it will disturb the "natural" order of things, and cause a huge disruption in the economy...

If there was a cure for HIV/AIDS I'm not so sure it would be profitable- human rights organizations woul probably lobby governments to offer it to all those infected, therefore actually costing more money than the present system of priveleged treatment. The more people in 3rd world countries means more mouths to feed, which means more money then must go into these countries.... everything is tied together and so often people fail to see this... the issue is too large for anyone to make any concrete statement about.

I'm not saying that we are "sitting on a cure" rather than there are just too many hoops to jump through to get there

ps- the issue is larger than just Americans.... in third world countries HIV/AIDS is found predominately in so called "heterosexuals"
Old 07-27-2002, 03:41 AM   #10
Refugee

So the NRA is suppressing a cure for AIDS because of the jobs that would be lost?

Old 07-27-2002, 05:07 AM   #11
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:31 PM
70% of cancers are cured. The 30% who do not make I dont think are left to die due to any conspiracy. There are different types of cancers some are too savage or too far spread for some people to be cured.
Old 07-27-2002, 11:13 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Number of diseases: many thousands.
Number of diseases eradicated: one.

And it sure as hell ain't HIV.
Old 07-27-2002, 11:18 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

We've conquered one disease, smallpox, and that was through vaccination. We've never eradicated a disease through cures, and no viral disease has ever been cured, let alone one as tenaciously mutant as HIV.

Cancer, itself, is difficult, requiring elimination of every last cancerous cell. I'm guessing it comes back, because precancerous cells still exist or the stimulus causing the mutation into cancer is still present. I've also heard that cancer is often caused by a virus (can anyone credible corroborate that?), so, again, the difficulty is in ridding a virus. I have heard, though, that there is a fairly promising technology involving vaccines for certain cancers. Can anyone corroborate that as well?

As much as mankind claims to know, the more it shows how little we still do know.

Melon
Old 07-27-2002, 01:52 PM   #14
The Fly

YES that's right, the NRA is in conspiracy with the medical world and the ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT.

but unfortunately, I don't think it is as easy as that.... I would be more than willing to explain myself better just as soon as I can afford a new computer that doesn't make it such a pain in the ass to type more lenthy discussions...
Old 07-27-2002, 02:42 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

The way he's thinking, he might as well accuse the government of inventing HIV in order to create work for medical researchers.
Didn't HIV originate in primates (...i think) in the jungles of Africa? So it would be silly to accuse the government of inventing it.

Relax people, it was just something that was brought up in a casual conversation. Next time I'll keep such things to myself.

BTW, I really don't think simple firecrackers got us to the moon and back.