There are some Sickos in the world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
The following article describes what has to be one of the sickest, most offensive video games ever sold.

Tuesday, May 13, 2004
New Video Game Allows Players to Slaughter Priests, Gays, Cops, Muslims and Animals

"Going Postal" - or spraying lead indiscriminately at everybody in sight - is now available in a videogame, and it has raised the ire of Catholic League President William Donahue.

According to the Catholic League, a new PC videogame, "Postal 2," a sequel to the original "Postal" videogame is selling out across the nation. The new action game allows the player to be "Postal Dude," a character who simply mows down anything and everyone in sight. The player, for example, can blow a priest?s head off with a shotgun and kick the bleeding head around the street like a soccer ball. It is also possible to wait in line for confession or kill everyone, including the priest, in the church.

Gays and lesbians can be killed (there is a "Fag Hunter" arcade), cops can be decapitated, Muslims can be shot, dogs can be set on fire and kittens can have their rectums blown to bits. It is also possible to urinate in a person?s mouth and watch him vomit.

The League says that weapons of choice are abundant: shovels, tasers, rotting cow heads, pistols, shotguns, gasoline cans, rocket launchers, napalm launchers, Molotov cocktails, scissors, you name it.

Stormed Dr. Donahue: "The effect of this videogame on the average kid who comes from a good home is minimal. But the effect on kids who are not so lucky is more problematic. There are literally millions of kids, mostly young boys, for whom experiences like 'Postal 2' may prove to be disastrous. For a whole host of reasons, they already live on the margins of society. Getting off on violence this malicious and dehumanizing is dangerous. It is sad to note, too, that one reviewer said the game became too monotonous after a while. Thus does the game anesthetize the player to human suffering.

I wonder if the Catholic League cares about the other groups or only the priests....

But what can I say? Hate speech is protected in the U.S., unfortunately.

Melon

:tsk: i always cringe at the use of the phrase "going postal."
it's in terrible taste, and totally unfunny for reasons that are obvious.
this is really sad.

ah...the youth of america being used as consumers regardless of destroying their morality.

melon, good point about the Catholic League. They're probably asking for a version that just cuts out the priests but leaves everyone else in.

I'm no fan of censorship, but that is seriously fucked up. It shouldn't be allowed on the markets. It's a fuckin disgrace. What the hell have gaming companies come to? And what does that say about their market? Why the fuck would anyone want to blow up a dog anyway?! That makes me sick, physically ill.

MiniFly said:
I'm no fan of censorship, but that is seriously fucked up. It shouldn't be allowed on the markets. It's a fuckin disgrace. What the hell have gaming companies come to? And what does that say about their market? Why the fuck would anyone want to blow up a dog anyway?! That makes me sick, physically ill.

Anyone can make a game and market it. If I remember right, this is made by a small, independent Dutch company. You don't have to be a large corporation like Nintendo to sell video games; most large companies would stay far away from games like these, because of the fear of public backlash.

Melon

sharky said:
ah...the youth of america being used as consumers regardless of destroying their morality.

Well, it's bad to be gay. That's bad morals. Shooting gay people with lots and lots of guns is good morals.
Instead of that game, people should watch Bowling for Columbine.

melon said:

Anyone can make a game and market it. If I remember right, this is made by a small, independent Dutch company. You don't have to be a large corporation like Nintendo to sell video games; most large companies would stay far away from games like these, because of the fear of public backlash.

Melon

That's not just me whining about corporations again. I just can't believe what any company, large or small, will stoop to to sell a game.

MiniFly said:
Instead of that game, people should watch Bowling for Columbine.

I think "Bowling for Columbine" said that it was foolish to connect violence with video games actually, so that really wouldn't help. What I would say about the film, though, is that they would think that a culture that promotes such hate is sick.

Melon

melon said:

I think "Bowling for Columbine" said that it was foolish to connect violence with video games actually, so that really wouldn't help. What I would say about the film, though, is that they would think that a culture that promotes such hate is sick.

Melon

True, that was the intent of Bowling for Columbine, however, I'd agree with you that equally in the film there is a condemnation of a culture of hate, and certainly, this video game promotes it.

the video game is simply an effort to outdo what now appear to be less tame (but were previously outrageous) similar efforts, such as grand theft auto 3. they are attempting to shock. and it works. so someone else will be outdoing this one.

there is still no reputable media effects study, to my knowledge, conclusively linking popular media violence (tv/movies/video games/comics/etc...) to actions of violence. as these depictions become more and more lifelike, this may well change.

kobayashi, when you were referencing gta 3, you did mean "more tame", not "less tame", right? I don't know how anything could be less tame than "postal 2".

I went to the game's site and looked at screenshots. It is mind-boggling sick. I honestly think that there must be something wrong in the head of anyone who would enjoy playing this game. I would go so far as to call this game "satanic". Not that it expressly encourages satan worship, but all the hatred and sick sick violence involved in the game makes the devil very happy, I'm sure.

80sU2isBest said:
kobayashi, when you were referencing gta 3, you did mean "more tame", not "less tame", right? I don't know how anything could be less tame than "postal 2".

you're right. i got myself all confuzzled.

All right. People will play the game. Simple as that. But what we should be studying is why they are playing this game. Is it because they hate priests, unlikely. is it because they hate muslims, unlikely. Is it because they hate gays, unlikely. Is it fun to play and is a game that has sustainablility, most likely. if you are having fun killing gays or priests or moose and beavers its all the same. Its the playabliitly of the game. Sorry. I do agree it is horrible but what it most likely comes done to is the playablity of the game. If it is a poorly made game it will not sell. Even though it shouldnt be selling in the first place.

That's probably true about the playability, but the point I think that is outraging so many people is the targetting of specific groups who have a tough enough time as it is in society. If its good old shooting and killing you want, what's wrong with Wolfenstein or Unreal? Even Carmageddon doesn't single out already victimised groups. I don't necessarily subscribe to the video game causes violence philosophy that much, but in the hands of a 16 year old boy who gets caught in the game's hype of targetting muslims or homosexuals or other, why feed something that may otherswise never fester? If I belonged to any of those groups, I'd be more than a little pissed that there exists a game where the sole purpose is to seek out and violently harm simply because they are this or that.

To me, it doesn't matter WHAT innocent victim it is that the goal is to kill -gays, straights, whites, blacks, children, Christians, Jews, Muslims, whatever. Innocent people should not be the targets in any video game. I'm not sure how I feel about shooting games, but I do know that when innocent victims are the intended victims, it shouldn't be allowed. War games, like if you're shooting Nazis or something, that is a bit different. I'm not saying I necessarily condone those kind of games, cuz I just don't know. But this game is one hell of a sick concept and stores should refuse to carry it.

I agree with Melon.

This game is not going to promote violence against these people-people have commited violent acts against all the groups targeted long before this game was even around, this isn't gonna promote something that already happens.

It's probably not even gonna sell much anyway. Even if it was sold throughout most of the country, I think most people would stay away from it anyway simply because of the idiocy of it.

There are people in this country that have their prejudices against the groups of people that are targeted, but most of them would not actually want to physically hurt the groups of people.

I don't get why it was made, either, like I said, I think the game sounds stupid and is pointless, but...whatever.

Angela

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom