There are some Sickos in the world - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2003, 12:12 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:03 PM
There are some Sickos in the world

The following article describes what has to be one of the sickest, most offensive video games ever sold.

Tuesday, May 13, 2004
New Video Game Allows Players to Slaughter Priests, Gays, Cops, Muslims and Animals

"Going Postal" - or spraying lead indiscriminately at everybody in sight - is now available in a videogame, and it has raised the ire of Catholic League President William Donahue.

According to the Catholic League, a new PC videogame, "Postal 2," a sequel to the original "Postal" videogame is selling out across the nation. The new action game allows the player to be "Postal Dude," a character who simply mows down anything and everyone in sight. The player, for example, can blow a priestís head off with a shotgun and kick the bleeding head around the street like a soccer ball. It is also possible to wait in line for confession or kill everyone, including the priest, in the church.

Gays and lesbians can be killed (there is a "Fag Hunter" arcade), cops can be decapitated, Muslims can be shot, dogs can be set on fire and kittens can have their rectums blown to bits. It is also possible to urinate in a personís mouth and watch him vomit.

The League says that weapons of choice are abundant: shovels, tasers, rotting cow heads, pistols, shotguns, gasoline cans, rocket launchers, napalm launchers, Molotov cocktails, scissors, you name it.

Stormed Dr. Donahue: "The effect of this videogame on the average kid who comes from a good home is minimal. But the effect on kids who are not so lucky is more problematic. There are literally millions of kids, mostly young boys, for whom experiences like 'Postal 2' may prove to be disastrous. For a whole host of reasons, they already live on the margins of society. Getting off on violence this malicious and dehumanizing is dangerous. It is sad to note, too, that one reviewer said the game became too monotonous after a while. Thus does the game anesthetize the player to human suffering.

Old 05-14-2003, 12:15 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

I wonder if the Catholic League cares about the other groups or only the priests....

But what can I say? Hate speech is protected in the U.S., unfortunately.

Melon

Old 05-14-2003, 12:22 PM   #3
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

That was my post office at the time the phrase "Going postal" came into existence
Old 05-14-2003, 01:16 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:03 AM
Ugh.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:41 PM   #5
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 08:03 PM
i always cringe at the use of the phrase "going postal."
it's in terrible taste, and totally unfunny for reasons that are obvious.
this is really sad.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:01 PM   #6
New Yorker

ah...the youth of america being used as consumers regardless of destroying their morality.

melon, good point about the Catholic League. They're probably asking for a version that just cuts out the priests but leaves everyone else in.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:38 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:03 PM
*Shrugs*

It's a game.

A stupid, pointless game, but a game nonetheless.

Angela
Old 05-14-2003, 11:17 PM   #8
War Child

I'm no fan of censorship, but that is seriously fucked up. It shouldn't be allowed on the markets. It's a fuckin disgrace. What the hell have gaming companies come to? And what does that say about their market? Why the fuck would anyone want to blow up a dog anyway?! That makes me sick, physically ill.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:19 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MiniFly
I'm no fan of censorship, but that is seriously fucked up. It shouldn't be allowed on the markets. It's a fuckin disgrace. What the hell have gaming companies come to? And what does that say about their market? Why the fuck would anyone want to blow up a dog anyway?! That makes me sick, physically ill.
Anyone can make a game and market it. If I remember right, this is made by a small, independent Dutch company. You don't have to be a large corporation like Nintendo to sell video games; most large companies would stay far away from games like these, because of the fear of public backlash.

Melon
Old 05-14-2003, 11:20 PM   #10
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
ah...the youth of america being used as consumers regardless of destroying their morality.
Well, it's bad to be gay. That's bad morals. Shooting gay people with lots and lots of guns is good morals.
Instead of that game, people should watch Bowling for Columbine.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:21 PM   #11
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Anyone can make a game and market it. If I remember right, this is made by a small, independent Dutch company. You don't have to be a large corporation like Nintendo to sell video games; most large companies would stay far away from games like these, because of the fear of public backlash.

Melon
That's not just me whining about corporations again. I just can't believe what any company, large or small, will stoop to to sell a game.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:31 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MiniFly
Instead of that game, people should watch Bowling for Columbine.
I think "Bowling for Columbine" said that it was foolish to connect violence with video games actually, so that really wouldn't help. What I would say about the film, though, is that they would think that a culture that promotes such hate is sick.

Melon
Old 05-14-2003, 11:34 PM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

I think "Bowling for Columbine" said that it was foolish to connect violence with video games actually, so that really wouldn't help. What I would say about the film, though, is that they would think that a culture that promotes such hate is sick.

Melon
True, that was the intent of Bowling for Columbine, however, I'd agree with you that equally in the film there is a condemnation of a culture of hate, and certainly, this video game promotes it.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:45 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:03 AM
the video game is simply an effort to outdo what now appear to be less tame (but were previously outrageous) similar efforts, such as grand theft auto 3. they are attempting to shock. and it works. so someone else will be outdoing this one.

there is still no reputable media effects study, to my knowledge, conclusively linking popular media violence (tv/movies/video games/comics/etc...) to actions of violence. as these depictions become more and more lifelike, this may well change.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:30 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

kobayashi, when you were referencing gta 3, you did mean "more tame", not "less tame", right? I don't know how anything could be less tame than "postal 2".

I went to the game's site and looked at screenshots. It is mind-boggling sick. I honestly think that there must be something wrong in the head of anyone who would enjoy playing this game. I would go so far as to call this game "satanic". Not that it expressly encourages satan worship, but all the hatred and sick sick violence involved in the game makes the devil very happy, I'm sure.