Theological questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
1. Does God need man more than man needs God? ie,
does God have meaning outside of the context of man?
2. Was Lucifer God's first experiment in the realm of free will?
Obviously a fallen angel chooses to fall. And if so, didn't
God learn his lesson? Or does God too despair and need
to know if he could be freely loved? (Apparently, this is
part II of question 1)
3. There is so little written on Judas in the New Testament
and he is such a pivotal character. Why do you think he
betrayed Jesus? Seems to me as treasurer to a Messiah
who had many rich supporters, he'd have access to
all the funds he could embezzle and he wouldn't need
to betray him for money. There is something more
going on here? Any theories? I've heard theories that Judas
was a revolutionary and things weren't quite going as
planned--that he wanted the arrest of Jesus as a catalyst,
never knowing they would go so far. Jesus calls him Friend
in the NT. I don't believe the term was meant lightly. Was
he a pawn--a necessary catalyst? What is the dynamic?
Was there an agreement between the two that Judas would
betray him so his mission could be fulfilled?

these are pretty specific textual questions, but i'll take a stab at #1:

God needs man more than man needs God, because God doesn't exist until men created him -- note that i don't think this disproves the existence of God, but if man didn't exist, neither would god.

Thank you. I agree with your assessment. Without man, God has no meaning.

Tough question, I think it's quite mutual. God and man are for each other. I think perhaps God may work through other forms of life, but that's just me. :shrug:

"If God did not exist, man would have to invent God in order to offer and threaten sufficient rewards to inspire an orderly society." - http://www.thirdmill.org/answers/answer.asp/file/99931.qna/category/pt/page/questions/site/iiim

2. Was Lucifer God's first experiment in the realm of free will?
Obviously a fallen angel chooses to fall. And if so, didn't
God learn his lesson? Or does God too despair and need
to know if he could be freely loved? (Apparently, this is
part II of question 1)

I suppose so, although I don't think it would be a "screw up" by God, if you believed he was all-knowing. Perhaps just as you said - an experiment. Maybe someone else has a better answer for this one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From http://www.thirdmill.org/answers/answer.asp/file/99770.qna/category/th/page/questions/site/iiim

First, there is the free-will answer: Man/Satan chose by his own free will to be evil. Evil exists, but God had nothing to do with it. Satan is the author of evil, not God. The problem with that is there is no sufficient cause for the effect. If Satan was perfect, then a suitable cause for the effect of evil could not come from him. Having a free will doesn’t create motivations or causes where there are none.

Second, you have the honorable St. Augustine who said that evil is not a thing, but the absence of a thing. It is the absence of good we see when we sense evil. So, God didn’t create evil—neither did man. It does not exist. Problem: Evil sure does seem real. It may not exist like I do, like beings do, it’s not on the same level as the number 12 or the color “white”. Its effects are far too obvious to not exist in some form. Plus, Augustine said in other places that moral good is absent from all sorts of soulless objects like chairs or neckties, but that absence of good does not instantly make them evil. God pronounced creation good, but Augustine’s solution seems to leave any thing that is absent of moral good as evil. Though I really don’t like neckties and have a sneaky suspicion they are evil. So Augustine was only mostly wrong.

Modern Charismatics have a solution: God is good all the time! God only gives, the devil takes, suffering and evil do not come from God, but from the devil. Problem: I don’t mean to be uncharitable towards our charismatic friends, but that’s not in the Bible. The Scriptures say the opposite, that those who live godly lives will necessarily find suffering and persecution as part of their daily bread. God gives a painful promise to his people when Paul says to Timothy, “In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.”(2TI 3:12 ) So that solution is just not possible.

The “normal” Reformed answer is that we don’t have a problem of evil, but a problem of good. The mystery isn’t that God could allow evil to begin and continue to exist in the world—the mystery is that God would allow any good to happen to bad people like us. True enough, but that’s no help. It’s an answer to a question, but not the question of why do we have evil in this world. But it is true—it’s just not the answer to “Why is there evil in the world?”

I believe the reason why Satan could be created perfect, and yet fall, is that while he was perfect, he was still a creature, not a creator. He was not a deity — he was lower than God. Only God is immutable (1 Samuel 15:29; Malachi 3:6; James 1:17). Thus, Satan could “naturally” degrade without God forcing him to sin or inject him with unbelief. God allowed it to happen for his greater glory, but he did not force it upon Satan or mankind.

This is how “perfect” beings could sin—they were created perfect, but were vulnerable to the impact of time upon those who are not God.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a pretty interesting read though: http://www.thirdmill.org/answers/answer.asp/file/99838.qna/category/th/page/questions/site/iiim

3. There is so little written on Judas in the New Testament
and he is such a pivotal character. Why do you think he
betrayed Jesus? Seems to me as treasurer to a Messiah
who had many rich supporters, he'd have access to
all the funds he could embezzle and he wouldn't need
to betray him for money. There is something more
going on here? Any theories? I've heard theories that Judas
was a revolutionary and things weren't quite going as
planned--that he wanted the arrest of Jesus as a catalyst,
never knowing they would go so far. Jesus calls him Friend
in the NT. I don't believe the term was meant lightly. Was
he a pawn--a necessary catalyst? What is the dynamic?
Was there an agreement between the two that Judas would
betray him so his mission could be fulfilled?

I think Judas betrayed Jesus because Jesus didn't fit his own version of the messiah. Perhaps he did not expect the messiah to show true human emotions or associate with the outcasts of society. More going on here? I think he had plenty of doubts about Jesus being the real messiah, and money was all it took for him to betray. I don't think there was an "agreement", but some have suggested to me that somebody had to do it. The answer is arguably dependent on which doctorine makes the most sense I guess.

Brave posters,

Macfist, I knew I could count on you to wade these waters.

Re: your Lucifer explanation--which was fascinating:

Was God's "flaw" in creating Lucifer-- reportedly his best angel--
that he allowed his creature to create as he did for man. Free will would necessitate independence of some sort. As Lucifer
could create and man can create outside of the influence of
God (although admittedly, not in the same scope), it was a setup
for rebellion. All creatures capable of free will rebel against something. It may have taken the form of evil, but all in all it was rebellion. The Creator created creators.

I didn't expect anyone to be able to answer the Judas question.
Just a particular fascination of mine.

Is God all-knowing? Is God all good? Is God immutable? Or are these concepts just necessary for our comfort level? Does he have to be all these things in order to be God? I'm making no judgment here. Just posing the questions.

I'll cop to being a little arrogant. However, I think the God-man need is mutual. God requires recognition and only those with free will are truly capable of that recognition.

I'll check out your link.

OK, I read Macfist's link. For the purpose of clarity here--I'll still use Lucifer interchangeably with Satan. Otherwise, it opens up a whole new thread.

BonosSaint said:
Brave posters,

Macfist, I knew I could count on you to wade these waters.
I try. :wink:

Is God all-knowing? - I believe so.
Is God all good? - Yes.
Is God immutable? - I think so.

Or are these concepts just necessary for our comfort level? - No.
Does he have to be all these things in order to be God? - I would think so.

I don't think that God is all-knowing. Now, before you kill me, let me explain. I believe that God knows all that can be known. That includes all likely possibilities and outcomes of multiple combinations of actions. But in a world where free-will agents have a true choice, those choices by definition cannot be known 100%. There are plenty of examples in the Bible of God wishing his people to do XYZ or saying "I had hoped that you would do this, but instead you chose to do that, therefore, I will now do this." Leading one to believe that the relationship is a real one of give and take. I believe a truly powerful being would not be threatened by the idea of people and events happening freely, but that he would be flexible and wise enough to be able to react perfectly.

I think that the other model of God as an all-controlling being is much too limiting and makes God the author of evil. Explaining evil becomes a semantic game.

Doubtful that I have explained myself sufficiently. Nonetheless, this theological idea is not a new one, nor am I the first or only one to argue it. A rather well-known author and theologian named Greg Boyd has written very extensively and eloquently on it, if anyone is interested.

sulawesigirl4 said:
I don't think that God is all-knowing. Now, before you kill me, let me explain. I believe that God knows all that can be known. That includes all likely possibilities and outcomes of multiple combinations of actions. But in a world where free-will agents have a true choice, those choices by definition cannot be known 100%.
I think this makes sense, I believe we are responsible for our decisions based on free will. I do think the paths based on our choices are mapped out for us.

1. Does God need man more than man needs God? ie, does God have meaning outside of the context of man?

"Meaning" is a human construct, just like "perfection." Just because we assign "meaning" and define "perfection," it doesn't mean that God must fall in line with our narrow categorizations.

2. Was Lucifer God's first experiment in the realm of free will? Obviously a fallen angel chooses to fall. And if so, didn't God learn his lesson? Or does God too despair and need to know if he could be freely loved?

The Christian concept of "Satan" borrows from Zoroastrianism ("Ahriman," or "Shaitan"), who was the evil god in that Persian religion. Since Judeo-Christianity is monotheistic, Satan was subsequently demoted to an "angel." However, since "Satan" was originally designed to be an "evil god," that's probably why he has so many powers that other angels don't have.

3. There is so little written on Judas in the New Testament and he is such a pivotal character. Why do you think he betrayed Jesus? Seems to me as treasurer to a Messiah who had many rich supporters, he'd have access to all the funds he could embezzle and he didn't need to betray him for money. There is something more going on here? Any theories? I've heard theories that Judas was a revolutionary and things weren't quite going as planned--that he wanted the arrest of Jesus as a catalyst, never knowing they would go so far. Jesus calls him Friend in the NT. I don't believe the term was meant lightly. Was he a pawn--a necessary catalyst? What is the dynamic? Was there an agreement between the two that Judas would betray him so his mission could be fulfilled?

Looking just at his name, "Judas Iscariot," he's likely an overtly anti-Semitic literary device. "Judas," in Latin, is almost identical to the word for "Judaism," and "Iscariot" either means "man from Kerioth" (a town/city we know nothing at all about) or is a derivative of "sicarii," which referred to Jewish assassins during the Roman era. Regardless, his name was clearly interpreted as an anti-Semitic device during the Middle Ages, as he was portrayed in "passion plays" as having a big nose and red hair (the anti-Semitic stereotypes of the era).

In other words, I wonder if NT writers took some liberties in writing the story of Jesus' life.

Melon

Best explanation of Judas I have heard.

One of the theories that always seemed right to me was that Christ was sent down as much to learn about man as to save him.
For much of the Old Testament, God doesn't seem really to have much of a clue about his creation. Okay, reward them, punish them, destroy them--what will work? What is this thing I've created? Christ arrives, experiences anger, doubt, impatience, I suspect fear, love, confusion, rebellion. I can't imagine God being all-knowing, and really all powerful. I can acknowledge that my mind cannot grasp all or most. But I cannot fathom him as all good--look at the pettiness, the rage, the gratuitousness of some of the actions in the Old Testament. If God is flawed, then
does all faith crumble? Maybe I'm a little perverse, but I can take
more comfort in the notion of a flawed God than the notion of an indifferent God. And I think at least some people would look at the world and find an indifferent God.

BonosSaint said:
Maybe I'm a little perverse, but I can take
more comfort in the notion of a flawed God than the notion of an indifferent God. And I think at least some people would look at the world and find an indifferent God.

Indeed. In this regard I find the philosophies of the Manicheans, Cathars and other duallist beliefs instructive.

BonosSaint said:

Why do we limit God to only our own understanding? A god that needs man isn't much of a god.

Re: Re: Theological questions

nbcrusader said:

Why do we limit God to only our own understanding? A god that needs man isn't much of a god.

Why create man then unless it is out of some sort of need?

BonosSaint said:
For much of the Old Testament, God doesn't seem really to have much of a clue about his creation. Okay, reward them, punish them, destroy them--what will work? What is this thing I've created?

Christ arrives, experiences anger, doubt, impatience, I suspect fear, love, confusion, rebellion. I can't imagine God being all-knowing, and really all powerful. I can acknowledge that my mind cannot grasp all or most. But I cannot fathom him as all good--look at the pettiness, the rage, the gratuitousness of some of the actions in the Old Testament. If God is flawed, then does all faith crumble? Maybe I'm a little perverse, but I can take

The OT "warrior God" reflects how all gods were depicted prior to 600 B.C. or so. "Gods" were petty and expected constant sacrifice, along with having strict rules to live by. Otherwise? You were killed. This was likely their way to explain natural circumstances like droughts, floods, invasion, famine, etc. A kind of "reward-punishment" system.

Exilic Judaism was exposed to Persian Zoroastrianism, which was "revolutionary" in depicting a "good" god. Evil, thus, came from a "bad" god. Thus, the emphasis switched from trying to please God to prevent Him from smiting you to trying to avoid the temptations of the evil "being," which we call "Satan."

Jesus would, by nature, follow the good/"loving" God model, because Zoroastrianism also brought in the idea of a Messiah. The Pharisees (derivative of "Parsi" or "Persian," a reference to Zoroastrianism) were the "Messianic Jews"; they just didn't believe that Jesus was their Messiah. The Sadducees, on the other hand, opposed Messianic/Zoroastrian beliefs infused into Judaism, and, thus would have opposed Jesus, along with any idea of a "Messiah." The OT canon we use is the text that the Pharisees used.

In short, the nature of God changes in the Bible, because the culture of the region changed with the rise and fall of the different civilizations and empires in the region. And, really, this is just life. If you look at the last 1000 years from the present here, a lot has changed on how we view "God." They were certainly no different!

Melon

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Theological questions

BonosSaint said:

Why create man then unless it is out of some sort of need?

If God is love, as Jesus says about His father, and which is reiterated throughout the NT, then Love is an outflow of God's character. Therefore God creates out of a loving nature -- He exists to love and therefore created a world full of people to whom He could reveal Himself as loving. His very gift to Adam was a whole world for his enjoyment. Elsewhere (in James) it says that every good and perfect gift is from above, from the father of heavenly lights. God chose to create so that He could lavish His children with His love.

Hence His heartbreak and frustration when they turned on him becomes clear.

I don't think God created man out of some inherent need -- God already existed in community within Himself ("let us make man in our image"). I would say that He created man because it was in His nature as a loving God to do so.

melon said:

The OT "warrior God" reflects how all gods were depicted prior to 600 B.C. or so. "Gods" were petty and expected constant sacrifice, along with having strict rules to live by. Otherwise? You were killed. This was likely their way to explain natural circumstances like droughts, floods, invasion, famine, etc. A kind of "reward-punishment" system.

Exilic Judaism was exposed to Persian Zoroastrianism, which was "revolutionary" in depicting a "good" god. Evil, thus, came from a "bad" god. Thus, the emphasis switched from trying to please God to prevent Him from smiting you to trying to avoid the temptations of the evil "being," which we call "Satan."

Jesus would, by nature, follow the good/"loving" God model, because Zoroastrianism also brought in the idea of a Messiah. The Pharisees (derivative of "Parsi" or "Persian," a reference to Zoroastrianism) were the "Messianic Jews"; they just didn't believe that Jesus was their Messiah. The Sadducees, on the other hand, opposed Messianic/Zoroastrian beliefs infused into Judaism, and, thus would have opposed Jesus, along with any idea of a "Messiah." The OT canon we use is the text that the Pharisees used.

In short, the nature of God changes in the Bible, because the culture of the region changed with the rise and fall of the different civilizations and empires in the region. And, really, this is just life. If you look at the last 1000 years from the present here, a lot has changed on how we view "God." They were certainly no different!

Melon

I would however posit that while gods who demand sacrifice were common in those times, as well as were gods who were good, you would be hard-pressed to find a god who chose to sacrifice himself on behalf of human beings.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Theological questions

nbcrusader said:

Or, perhaps, as a gift to His Son.

This answer made me smile. I like it very much.

Back
Top Bottom