THEOCRACY WATCH!!! Texas Gov signs anti-gay, anti-choice legislation in church - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2005, 07:33 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:13 PM
THEOCRACY WATCH!!! Texas Gov signs anti-gay, anti-choice legislation in church

Perry to Sign Abortion, Gay Marriage Bills
LAST UPDATE: 6/3/2005 7:02:03 AM

AUSTIN (AP) - Gov. Rick Perry plans to visit a Christian school on Sunday to sign two pieces of legislation that drew strong support from religious organizations.

One piece of legislation restricts abortion, while the other sends a gay marriage ban to voters.

Supporters praise the event at Calvary Christian Academy in Fort Worth as a major victory for conservative Republicans, but critics say the ceremony is inappropriate.

"I think it's wrong," said Kathy Miller, president of the Texas Freedom Network, which describes itself as a mainstream voice to counter the religious right.

"As I recall, Jesus threw the money changers out of the temple, and I wonder how long it will be before people of faith get fed up with opportunistic political campaigning in their houses of worship," she said.

The governor will not sign the bills from a pulpit, but in the school gym, said Perry spokesman Robert Black.

"It's interesting. No one seemed to protest the governor signing a bill at a business or a hospital," Black said. "It's not a political event. It's a bill-signing."

Perry will sign a bill that requires parental consent for girls younger than 18 to undergo abortions. He also will sign a resolution to amend the state constitution to ban same-sex marriages. That signature is mostly ceremonial since voters must approve it in November before it becomes law.

Perry, who signed a workers compensation bill at Lockheed Martin Aeronautics in Fort Worth on Wednesday, said the church school is the appropriate venue for values-related issues.

"The two issues talk about values," he said. "A church is an appropriate place to come together and celebrate a victory for the values of the people of Texas."

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story...E-F11DDB1118BB

Old 06-03-2005, 07:46 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:13 PM
Ick, politics in church.

Like my pastor once said
Sorry guys, but God is not a republican

Old 06-03-2005, 07:50 AM   #3
Acrobat

Even though I consider myself a conservative, I am not sure I want my governor signing legislation at a church (especially one I do not like!). However, I must say at least he is signing it in the gym and not the pulpit.

On the other hand, would there be this much of a ruckus if he was signing a bill that gave money to homeless shelters? probably not.

On a sidenote, my brother attended the school during elementary, and I frequently attended basketball camps put on by their BBall coach.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:13 PM
Old 06-03-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

This disgusts me. As a Christian, I'm getting more and more urinated off with the Republicans hijacking the faith.

If this disgusts you too, I HIGHLY recommend visiting www.sojo.net, (where they'll probably have a response to this soon) and I HIGHLY recommend reading the new book by Jim Wallis, founder of Sojourners, called "God's Politics." He's a Christian who is really taking jabs at the Right Wingers for hijacking the faith and creating a theocracy. I'm about a third of the way through the book and it's seriously changing my world. Check it out. (Bono also endorsed it and is mentioned in the book if that excites you.)
Old 06-03-2005, 10:12 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:13 AM
This pisses me off. As a Christian, it really annoys me that the Republican politicians keep claiming that God is a Republican. This is right up there in the disgusting department with Roy Moore's Ten Commandment statue shenanigans, which I consider pure politics rather than real faith.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:13 PM
I particularly like the insinuation that no one else has morals/values.

As to the people saying "no one complains when bills are signed at businesses and hospitals" well, I think governors should just sign the fucking bills instead of using the bill signing as a political stunt on the taxpayers time (it would be a hell of a lot faster and cheaper to just sign it in his office). They shouldn't go around sucking up to certain groups for political gain (and we all know that's exactly what is going on when politicians do this type of thing.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:12 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I particularly like the insinuation that no one else has morals/values.
Oh, yes, I quite love that, too .

Angela
Old 06-03-2005, 12:10 PM   #9
Refugee

Wait, wait. Is he going to be signing this in a church or a Christian school? Because it seems like they're referring to the school as a church, and just because something claims to be involved with Christianity doesn't make it a church.

Otherwise, we might be able to start calling Capitol Hill a church here soon.

Back on topic, signing the bill in the Christian school really seems to be kind of a pompous thing to do in this situation. Not only is it a slap in the face to Democrats, it's a slap in the face to Christians because he's implying that his views are the only correct Christian views to take on the matters, which is deeply insulting to me.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:17 PM   #10
She's the One

Local Time: 05:13 PM
What's really fun is that he's signing restrictive marriage legislation in front of school-children. Way to teach the whole "love thy neighbor" concept.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:47 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

this is why i call these things "Theocracy Watch."

what he's doing is tying together church and state, saying, in effect that we need the state to safeguard morality and virtue, so we must pass legislation that does as much. who's morality and virtue? why, the church's, of course. the church of the Republican Party.

this is a Republican party that sees nothing wrong with channeling up to $2 billion of public money to religious charities, or spending government money to promote sexual abstinence as a moral good while denying schoolchildren potentially life-saving contraceptive information, or telling parents in government literature that a gay child might just need a bit of therapy. Bush says, in no uncertan terms, that public education must have a moral component, and that even science and medicine must be guided by faith, as the teaching of evolution is questioned and pharmacists given legal permission to refuse to prescribe contraception on religious grounds.

in other threads, i've been accused of stereotyping Christians, and that might be a fair charge at certain points. however, these days, i want to extend my condolences to those Christians who are witnessing the appropriation of their religion and identity to further causes they might not agree with. just as we need to reclaim the flag from the Republican Party, so do Christians need to reclaim the Cross from the Republican Party.

but when i look around at how the religion is used -- and i have now adopted the term "Christianist fundamentalism" in order to distinguish the individuals from the political function of Christianity -- as a weapon by the Republican party, and how this weapon essentially gave GWB another term in office, and the sheer hypocrisy of referring to zygotes as living in a "frozen orphanage" whilst the party gleefully executes people, i am truly sorry if i offend, but what i view as the enemy -- in clear and what i consider to me moral terms -- is, sadly, this current political application of Christianity. i view it as a threat both to my freedoms and even to my continued existence as i understand myself.

yes, Mr. Bush, another great religion has been hijacked, and you're in the pilot seat.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #12
War Child

ewwww I need a bath now

Quote:
I think governors should just sign the fucking bills instead of using the bill signing as a political stunt
Exactly
Old 06-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
What's really fun is that he's signing restrictive marriage legislation in front of school-children. Way to teach the whole "love thy neighbor" concept.
Mmhm.

Angela
Old 06-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
This disgusts me. As a Christian, I'm getting more and more urinated off with the Republicans hijacking the faith.

If this disgusts you too, I HIGHLY recommend visiting www.sojo.net, (where they'll probably have a response to this soon) and I HIGHLY recommend reading the new book by Jim Wallis, founder of Sojourners, called "God's Politics." He's a Christian who is really taking jabs at the Right Wingers for hijacking the faith and creating a theocracy. I'm about a third of the way through the book and it's seriously changing my world. Check it out. (Bono also endorsed it and is mentioned in the book if that excites you.)
I will have to check out the book.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:27 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

It is not good to generalize.
And I believe there are many decent folks in Texas.

But, the “Tom Delays” and other ones in Government in Texas are despicable people.

Bush was comfortable killing children and mental deficient prisoners.

If one is found guilty of a capital crime in Texas, the jury can only decide between two options:
1. Execution
2. Life – with the possibility of parole after 20 years.

Is it any wonder they lead in executions?

Most other states offer a 3rd option of,
Life – WITHOUT the possibility of parole.

Some Texas politicians have tried to pass legislation to allow this 3rd option.

The right wingers always kill it.

What a bunch of barbarians.