THEOCRACY WATCH!!! Texas Gov signs anti-gay, anti-choice legislation in church - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
My biggest pet peeve is how a lot of Christians lump homosexuality and abortion in the same breath. It infuriates me beyond no end. I see them as two very distinct concepts that have nothing to do with each other. And fucking Texas Gov. Perry just keeps on feeding that stereotype. That's what infuriates me the most about this entire article.
Melon
They are of course two very distinct concepts, and I don't see how anyone can think otherwise. I don't even see any possible links.

That being said, I don't personally know any Christian, or anyone at all, that lumps abortion and homosexuality together.

Old 06-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Abortion is my big issue. The #1 reason for my alignment with the Republicans is that, by and large, the Republicans are the "pro-life" party. Now please, people, please take note of the words "by and large"; I know that there are prochoice Republicans and prolife Democrats.

Old 06-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #93
The Fly

Local Time: 12:41 AM
It's not accurate.

"Anti-Choice" is a derogatory term for pro-lifers. It's considered offensive for two reasons:

1) It assumes that choice is the only important value at stake in the abortion debate, and automatically casts anyone who disagrees with this assumption in a negative light.

2) It implies that people who oppose abortion are generally opposed to women having choices in their lives, which is a popular but utterly false smear. The absurdity becomes obvious when one considers why we do not call people who are opposed to theft or assault "anti-choice".
Old 06-08-2005, 07:17 PM   #94
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I just read the Amazon reviews of the book, and I see that what he does is link the legalization of abortion to a drope in the crim rate.

Well, I don't need to read the book to realize that if a fetus is a living human lives, as I believe it is, then the "crime rate" point he's trying to make is moot, as murder of innocent human lives is a crime.
Very true.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:29 PM   #95
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by OneBadStay
It's not accurate.

"Anti-Choice" is a derogatory term for pro-lifers. It's considered offensive for two reasons:

1) It assumes that choice is the only important value at stake in the abortion debate, and automatically casts anyone who disagrees with this assumption in a negative light.

2) It implies that people who oppose abortion are generally opposed to women having choices in their lives, which is a popular but utterly false smear. The absurdity becomes obvious when one considers why we do not call people who are opposed to theft or assault "anti-choice".
The terms Pro and Anti choice are used almost exclusively in the abortion debate. Pro-Choice is a shortening of "Pro-Choice = The right for each and every woman to decide for herself whether or not to have an abortion" and Anti-Chioce is a shortening of "Anti-Choice = no woman should have the right to decide for herself whether or not to have an abortion." Neither term, as used in the abortion debate, has anything to do with "any other decisions.

If you wish to discuss a disingenuous term however, pro-abortion comes to mind. To call someone pro-abortion implies he/she encourages abortions. For instance, I am very strongly pro-choice, but I don't give a rats ass if anyone else has or does not have an abortion, whatever their situation. However, I want them (and me) to have the right to make the decision for themselves.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #96
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

The terms Pro and Anti choice are used almost exclusively in the abortion debate. Pro-Choice is a shortening of "Pro-Choice = The right for each and every woman to decide for herself whether or not to have an abortion" and Anti-Chioce is a shortening of "Anti-Choice = no woman should have the right to decide for herself whether or not to have an abortion." Neither term, as used in the abortion debate, has anything to do with "any other decisions.

If you wish to discuss a disingenuous term however, pro-abortion comes to mind. To call someone pro-abortion implies he/she encourages abortions. For instance, I am very strongly pro-choice, but I don't give a rats ass if anyone else has or does not have an abortion, whatever their situation. However, I want them (and me) to have the right to make the decision for themselves.
...So, you wouldn't be offended if someone categorized your stance as "Anti-Life"?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:36 PM   #97
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24

...So, you wouldn't be offended if someone categorized your stance as "Anti-Life"?
Might as well close the thread now if it's going to turn into this old argument again.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:36 PM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 06:41 PM
Staying out of the abortion debate, because I've tired myself out discussing that issue, and just going to comment on this:

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
"Texans have made a decision about marriage and if there is some other state that has a more lenient view than Texas then maybe that's a better place for them (gay and lesbian families) to live." - Texas governor, Rick Perry, last Sunday.

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/4572168/detail.html
Nice. Really nice .

It's truly amazing the amount of immaturity some people in this world possess.

Angela
Old 06-08-2005, 07:42 PM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24

Ooooh! Abortion debate on FYM.

GOODY!
Old 06-08-2005, 07:42 PM   #100
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Might as well close the thread now if it's going to turn into this old argument again.
Nono, I'm not intending to start any argument. I've seen and participated in plenty of arguments on the issue. I'm just honestly curious if Pro-Choice people that call Pro-Life people "Anti-Choice" would mind being called "Anti-Life." It's the exact thing they do, just turned around.

If it'll help avoid conflict, a yes/no answer would suffice.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:52 PM   #101
The Fly

Local Time: 12:41 AM
indra -

I'll say it again, since the first time apparently wasn't loud enough.

"Anti-Choice" is a derogatory term for pro-lifers. It's considered offensive.

If I tell someone I don't like to be called "anti-choice," but he or she essentially says, "I don't care" and continues to call me that anyway, do you know what that makes him or her?

Intolerant.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:55 PM   #102
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
I'll tell you what - I am VERY disappointed in Bush and most of the other Republicans these days...but probably not for the reasons most of you are.
And what are you're reasons? Just curious.

You may have stated them in some other thread, I may have missed them, so many threads...
Old 06-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by OneBadStay
indra -

I'll say it again, since the first time apparently wasn't loud enough.

"Anti-Choice" is a derogatory term for pro-lifers. It's considered offensive.

If I tell someone I don't like to be called "anti-choice," but he or she essentially says, "I don't care" and continues to call me that anyway, do you know what that makes him or her?

Intolerant.
Exactly right.

The term "anti-choice" makes me want to vomit.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by echo0001

And what are you're reasons? Just curious.

You may have stated them in some other thread, I may have missed them, so many threads...
I'll tell you when I'm more in a mood to argue. It will bring out arguments, no doubt.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:36 PM   #105
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, apparently, we've found the derogatory terms for both sides:

"Pro-abortion" and "Anti-choice"

I've known a few "pro-choicers" who support its legality on principle, yet in their interpersonal relationships, would never encourage an abortion, nor would have one themselves. It does happen, so when Kerry got slammed for taking a position like that, it was really too bad. I guess "nuance" these days is out of fashion, in favor of dualistic "good" vs. "evil" / "yes" or "no" answers.

Melon