THEOCRACY WATCH!!! Texas Gov signs anti-gay, anti-choice legislation in church - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2005, 01:00 AM   #76
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

That view makes me want to vomit.
You never have the possibility of facing the decision, so you have that luxury.

Old 06-08-2005, 06:33 AM   #77
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:51 AM
"Texans have made a decision about marriage and if there is some other state that has a more lenient view than Texas then maybe that's a better place for them (gay and lesbian families) to live." - Texas governor, Rick Perry, last Sunday.

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/4572168/detail.html

so, here's the message: "Gays Be Gone!" Texas is only for straight people.

yes, this is the American Taliban, only not as powerful.

yet.

Old 06-08-2005, 06:37 AM   #78
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:51 AM
Aren't you Texans glad you have such a friendly, welcoming governor who's trying to pull more young, diverse talent into your state?

Oh, wait...you don't.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:42 AM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier

^ great point.

if anyone's read Rick Florida, he points to the "tolerance index" and how it corresponds to the desireability of certain cities. the cities that do the most to lure young, creative talent tend to lead the way in urban revitilization. often, young urban talent is either significantly gay, or this talent is appreciative of many of the things that gays bring to cities -- restaurants, cafes, local music scenes, interesting bars, theather, etc.

look at the nation's most deisreable cities -- one of which is Austin -- and you'll see just how tolerant they are: NYC, SF, LA, Chicago, DC, Boston, Austin, Seattle and Portland. the three most educated cities in America -- NYC, SF, and DC -- all have excellent domestic partnerships laws, among other protections for gay people.

it's rather simple: out gay people tend to be educated, willing to live in downtrodden neighborhoods and then willing to spend their sometimes considerable disposable incomes supporting the cultural life and vibrancy of their cities.

being good to gays is simply good for business.

but, it seems, Perry would rather be governor of Saudi Arabia than Seattle.

so be it.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:44 AM   #80
War Child

Local Time: 07:51 AM
This whole thread just makes me sad.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:13 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

You never have the possibility of facing the decision, so you have that luxury.
IThe view that makes me want to vomit is calling any abortion "absolutely a very good thing" because it treats a baby as if it's as expendable as an unwanted mole on someone's face. I would think that even if you didn't view an abortion as murder, if you didn't view the baby as a human life, you would view abortion as the termination of a potential life, and therefore at the minimum, treat abortion as "regrettable that it came to this", not as "absolutely a very good thing".
Old 06-08-2005, 10:33 AM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

But I don't know why I should even care if people think I'm stereotyping at all. Where is your concern with people stereotyping against Christians and Conservatives? Jiminy cricket, that goes on every 3rd or 4th post in these forums, and it hardly ever gets called for what it is by anyone but me.

Dadgum.
All do respect, I believe my time in this forum leaves enough of a record to show I have defended Christians and Conservatives...
Old 06-08-2005, 10:49 AM   #83
Refugee

Local Time: 01:51 PM
It truly is incredible how narrow-minded, stubborn and just plain pig-headed some people are.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

All do respect, I believe my time in this forum leaves enough of a record to show I have defended Christians and Conservatives...
You're right. Sorry about that.

Likewise, however, have you ever known me to lump all gays in with the ones who act lewdly at gay pride parades?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #85
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:51 PM
IThe view that makes me want to vomit is calling any abortion "absolutely a very good thing" because it treats a baby as if it's as expendable as an unwanted mole on someone's face. I would think that even if you didn't view an abortion as murder, if you didn't view the baby as a human life, you would view abortion as the termination of a potential life, and therefore at the minimum, treat abortion as "regrettable that it came to this", not as "absolutely a very good thing".

Read the book Freakonomics and you may change your mind.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:02 PM   #86
ONE
love, blood, life

My biggest pet peeve is how a lot of Christians lump homosexuality and abortion in the same breath. It infuriates me beyond no end. I see them as two very distinct concepts that have nothing to do with each other. And fucking Texas Gov. Perry just keeps on feeding that stereotype. That's what infuriates me the most about this entire article.

Melon
Old 06-08-2005, 12:10 PM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

You're right. Sorry about that.

Likewise, however, have you ever known me to lump all gays in with the ones who act lewdly at gay pride parades?
That was why asking....

it seemed out of character.

Peace
Old 06-08-2005, 12:13 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

That was why asking....

it seemed out of character.

Peace
Now you know that I wasn't doing that anyway.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2005, 12:19 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by MissMoo

Read the book Freakonomics and you may change your mind.
I just read the Amazon reviews of the book, and I see that what he does is link the legalization of abortion to a drope in the crim rate.

Well, I don't need to read the book to realize that if a fetus is a living human lives, as I believe it is, then the "crime rate" point he's trying to make is moot, as murder of innocent human lives is a crime.

Reading the book wouldn't change my mind at all. I strongly believe abortion is murder, so the author saying something like "abortion of unwanted babies decreases the burden of welfare" makes absolutely no difference to me at all.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:39 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:51 PM
Can i survive as liberal Dutchman in Texas ?