THEOCRACY WATCH!!! Texas Gov signs anti-gay, anti-choice legislation in church - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2005, 08:52 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I am a Texas Republican.

Ah.

Old 06-04-2005, 08:56 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:18 AM
Ah"

What does that mean? Why even waste your time if you're just going to type a meaningless "ah"?

I would much rather hear you whisper sweet nothings in my ear like you have in the past; you know, things like "you're the type of Christian who makes me want to vomit".

Oh my, those were the days.

Old 06-05-2005, 06:36 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:18 PM
I would say that while it's true that some consertative Republicans are spearheading the current anti-gay campaign, it's not fair to blame Joe or Joan Q. Conservative Republican for the campaign. How do we know if these ordinary Republicans particularly support the anti-gay campaign? Perhaps some of them are actually more in the Barry Goldwater "don't meddle in the affairs of ordinary people" tradition?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:46 AM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I would say that while it's true that some consertative Republicans are spearheading the current anti-gay campaign, it's not fair to blame Joe or Joan Q. Conservative Republican for the campaign. How do we know if these ordinary Republicans particularly support the anti-gay campaign? Perhaps some of them are actually more in the Barry Goldwater "don't meddle in the affairs of ordinary people" tradition?
I think its safe to say that most Texas Republicans aren't "Barry Goldwater" Republicans, considering the kind of wackos they elect in that state.

Melon
Old 06-05-2005, 10:33 AM   #35
She's the One

Local Time: 04:18 AM
Quote:
it's not fair to blame Joe or Joan Q. Conservative Republican for the campaign. How do we know if these ordinary Republicans particularly support the anti-gay campaign?
Because Mr. and Mrs. J. Q. Conservative Republican vote for those bigots who have initiated the anti-gay campaigns. Look around, look for the tearful protests when two people who love each other attempt to get married. That's your everyday Conservative Republican nowadays. It's completely fair to blame them for the actions of the people they put in office.

And it's completely fair to blame the rest of us for allowing it to happen as well. Until the rest of us stand up, vote, and protest more loudly, then we're to blame too.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:35 AM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

I think we should organize protests against Christian events every time they have one. Because every time there's a gay event, there's always some fucking Christians harrassing them.

Melon
Old 06-05-2005, 10:38 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

melon, when Christians start throwing public parades in which they wear dog collars and simulate s & m, I'll be standing right there next to you protesting.

By the way, I'm serious about that. I don't like Promise Keepers and once considered picketing them. I did make protest against them in church and to my friends.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:51 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

I think its safe to say that most Texas Republicans aren't "Barry Goldwater" Republicans, considering the kind of wackos they elect in that state.

Melon
They're like the Republicans in my state. The idiot who wants to ban books about gays in my state isi pretty typical. What I'm saying is that I know conservatives who don't like these politicians, and don't support the anti-gay campaign.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:54 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Because Mr. and Mrs. J. Q. Conservative Republican vote for those bigots who have initiated the anti-gay campaigns. Look around, look for the tearful protests when two people who love each other attempt to get married. That's your everyday Conservative Republican nowadays. It's completely fair to blame them for the actions of the people they put in office.

And it's completely fair to blame the rest of us for allowing it to happen as well. Until the rest of us stand up, vote, and protest more loudly, then we're to blame too.
True. While Joe Conservative Republican might not himself be anti-gay, if he voted for Bush he obviously voted for someone who is wholeheartedly into the anti-gay campaign, in fact, he's basically leading it.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:58 AM   #40
She's the One

melon, when Christians start throwing public parades in which they wear dog collars and simulate s & m, I'll be standing right there next to you protesting. [/QUOTE]

Because all gay events include this, right?
Old 06-05-2005, 11:29 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I'm not running for office, but I am a Texas Republican, and you said you hate Texas Republicans.

As a side note, you do realize, don't you, that your decision to hate all Texas Republicans, without knowing all Texas Republicans, is not all that different from someone who who hates gays because he thinks that all gays are promiscuous beasts who wear s & m clothing and dog collars to the gay pride parades on public streets where they partake in the simulation of sex acts?

It completely floors me that more and more in this world, especially in these forums, stereotyping and predispositions of hatred are considered wrong, unless of course it's against Conservatives and Republicans.
How do you feel about the fact that a jury in your state only has two options for sentencing in a capital crime conviction?

1. execution
2. life WITH possibility of parole after 20 YEARS

no 3rd option of:

Life WITHOUT possibility of parole?
Old 06-05-2005, 03:18 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
melon, when Christians start throwing public parades in which they wear dog collars and simulate s & m, I'll be standing right there next to you protesting.

Because all gay events include this, right?
[/QUOTE]

Nope, and I've even stated that I don't believe that all gay events are like that.

However, I was responding to melon's statement about picketing Christian events. My point was that if an event includes that kind of behavior, it should be protested.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:19 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

How do you feel about the fact that a jury in your state only has two options for sentencing in a capital crime conviction?

1. execution
2. life WITH possibility of parole after 20 YEARS

no 3rd option of:

Life WITHOUT possibility of parole?
I don't like it - I don't like it at all; I am against the death penalty.

However, it doesn't make me hate people who support the death penalty. Many of my friends support it.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:48 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

For the record, I don't quite like the gay pride parades either. It doesn't reflect what I or any other gay person I know believes. The idea, decades ago, was to use the parades as a parody against the stereotypes levelled against them. However, I think that over the last 30 years, the irony has been completely lost on people.

On the other hand, I don't think that most protestors are protesting against the parades alone. No, they use it as an event to protest homosexuality in general. They want to pretend that it doesn't exist at all.

I liked watching the Tony Awards. Talk about a really visibly gay event.

Melon
Old 06-05-2005, 09:58 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:18 AM
Quote:
Perhaps some of them are actually more in the Barry Goldwater "don't meddle in the affairs of ordinary people" tradition?
The problem with the vast majority of Republicans happily voting for Bush and his ilk is that do meddle very much in the affairs of ordinary people. I can't see how anyone could vote for these jerks and have the gall to claim they believe in small government. Unless they are stupid.