THEOCRACY WATCH!!! Texas Gov signs anti-gay, anti-choice legislation in church - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2005, 09:38 PM   #211
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

The act of abstinence is effective.

Every person on this planet who is not married and/or mature practicing abstinence? Completely and absolutely unrealistic.

Show me one time in the history of man where this has worked as a method of birth control?

It's advocacy of this type of thinking that results in a lack of effective birth control. Some of us like to operate within the scope of reality in which we live, and that reality dictates that the notion of abstinence as birth control is a big, fat failure. So you can either bury your head in the sand or provide accessible birth control to everyone on the planet if abortions horrify you so.

oops...didn't mean to touch this arguement.......i'll just get back in my box...

Old 06-11-2005, 09:39 PM   #212
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:06 PM
I think anitram means abstinence wont eventuate.

And on a sidenote, I think adoption is a much more difficult decision for many women than abortion is.

Old 06-11-2005, 09:40 PM   #213
Jesus Online

Argh, you're both here in the thread. My above (1st) comment was to 80s on anitram's comment. I'll back out now lol.

*edit due to my abhorrent typing and spelling and grammar and english and writing and...
Old 06-11-2005, 09:43 PM   #214
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Argh, you're noth here in the thread. My above (1st) comment was to 80s on anitram's comment. I'll back out now lol.
sorry i cut into line on you......shoulda kept my mouth shut...lol
Old 06-11-2005, 09:45 PM   #215
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

The act of abstinence is effective.

Every person on this planet who is not married and/or mature practicing abstinence? Completely and absolutely unrealistic.

Show me one time in the history of man where this has worked as a method of birth control?
Abstinence has ALWAYS worked as a method of birth control, except in the case of the birth of Christ.

As you said yourself, the act of abstinence is effective.

I think what you mean to say that "The teaching of abstinence is not an effective instruction for birth control.

But that's not true. Many people have found the teaching of abstinence to be very effective in influencing them not to have sex. And if they don't have sex, they don't get pregnant, and therefore the teaching of abstinence was very effective.

Look, contrary to what you might think, not every unmarried person out there is having sex. Evidently the teaching of abstinence (in health class or church or wherever) made an impact on them.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:52 PM   #216
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by echo0001

sorry i cut into line on you......shoulda kept my mouth shut...lol
Haha no mate, I didn't realise the thread was actually active, not your fault. I can now see my horrible typo I'll go edit it.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:53 PM   #217
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:06 PM
But a lot of unmarried people are out there having sex because sex is something that people do. You cannot just teach people not to have sex and expect it to be a cure all 100% effective system because people invariably do engage in that activity. Individuals have a right to it, their sex lives should not be governed by religious traditions and 'moral' norms.

Not every person has a problem with sex outside of marriage because not every person subscribes to beliefs that require that. Given this shouldn't those that have no problem with it be entitled to protections and rights over their own reproductive rights.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:59 PM   #218
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Many people have found the teaching of abstinence to be very effective in influencing them not to have sex. And if they don't have sex, they don't get pregnant, and therefore the teaching of abstinence was very effective.
Effective for those people.

As for the rest? It's a huge failure.

And judging by the statistics out on sexual activity these days, the rest are your majority.

Do you seriously believe that everyone will be able to practice abstinence? Furthermore, why should they? They may not be religious, or their religion may not dictate abstinence. Why should they have to conform to somebody else's ideas?
Old 06-12-2005, 08:46 AM   #219
The Fly

Local Time: 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
Yeah, because those activities affect other people.

Angela
Bingo! And that's exactly what one side of this particular social issue is concerned with. Many believe that abortion affects people other than just the mothers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

And I think that's stupid. If a woman chooses to do that, and it's all safely done and everything, it IS her body and if she wants to use it for those purposes, I say she should be allowed to.

Angela

Your particular opinion on prostitution is not relevant. The point is that there is a legal precedent for telling women that they can and can't do certain things with and to their bodies.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:20 AM   #220
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Effective for those people.

As for the rest? It's a huge failure.

And judging by the statistics out on sexual activity these days, the rest are your majority.

Do you seriously believe that everyone will be able to practice abstinence? Furthermore, why should they? They may not be religious, or their religion may not dictate abstinence. Why should they have to conform to somebody else's ideas?
Anitram, this has nothing to do with my religious or moral views. I said that abstinence is effective. You said it wasn't. But it is. Whether people want to live a life of abstinence or not is irrelevant. I'm not telling anyone not to have sex. I'm just saying that if you don't want a baby, there is no better way of achieving that goal than by not having sex. Abstinence is the most effective manner of birth control. There is no way of getting around that.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:30 AM   #221
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:06 PM
Agreed. Abstinence is 100% effective as birth control. But teaching only abstinence and not alternatives for those who will be sexually active is not only impractical, it borders on delusional.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:20 AM   #222
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Agreed. Abstinence is 100% effective as birth control. But teaching only abstinence and not alternatives for those who will be sexually active is not only impractical, it borders on delusional.
And that was my point. I said the ACT of abstinence was 100% effective, but the idea you can have the majority embracing it? Completely deluded, and not only that, absolutely irresponsible.

Teaching abstinence and expecting it to work across the board?

Absolute lunacy, and the equivalent of burying your head in the sand.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:39 PM   #223
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:06 PM
I hate this fucking state sometimes
Old 06-13-2005, 01:38 PM   #224
She's the One

Local Time: 06:06 PM

I see I didn't miss much here.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #225
She's the One

Local Time: 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Me? Why would she have to prove anything to me? Since when am I doctor that would decide whether her life is in danger? And if I were a doctor, what exact;y would she have to "prove" to me?
Yes, you. You're the one who's on about how women shouldn't be allowed to make these decisions on their own. You seem to think that it's not between a woman and her doctor.

And you're deciding that her life should be in danger before she's allowed to make the decision. What level of proof will you require? Would you even trust some of these suspicious doctors? What about those awful physicans at Planned Parenthood? Or will the women only be allowed to go to "approved" doctors who agree with you about the level of danger to her life?