THEOCRACY WATCH! Republicans believe government must "protect our souls" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2005, 10:10 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:44 PM
THEOCRACY WATCH! Republicans believe government must "protect our souls"

Alabama Bill Targets Gay Authors
MONTGOMERY, Ala., April 27, 2005

A college production tells the story of Matthew Sheppard, a student beaten to death because he was gay.

And soon, it could be banned in Alabama.

Republican Alabama lawmaker Gerald Allen says homosexuality is an unacceptable lifestyle. As CBS News Correspondent Mark Strassmann reports, under his bill, public school libraries could no longer buy new copies of plays or books by gay authors, or about gay characters.

"I don't look at it as censorship," says State Representative Gerald Allen. "I look at it as protecting the hearts and souls and minds of our children."

Books by any gay author would have to go: Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote and Gore Vidal. Alice Walker's novel "The Color Purple" has lesbian characters.

Allen originally wanted to ban even some Shakespeare. After criticism, he narrowed his bill to exempt the classics, although he still can't define what a classic is. Also exempted now Alabama's public and college libraries.

Librarian Donna Schremser fears the "thought police," would be patrolling her shelves.

"And so the idea that we would have a pristine collection that represents one political view, one religioius view, that's not a library,'' says Schremser.

"I think it's an absolutely absurd bill," says Mark Potok of the Southern Poverty Law Center.

First Amendment advocates say the ban clearly does amount to censorship.

"It's a Nazi book burning," says Potok. "You know, it's a remarkable piece of work."

But in book after book, Allen reads what he calls the "homosexual agenda,"
and he's alarmed.

"It's not healthy for America, it doesn't fit what we stand for," says Allen. "And they will do whatever it takes to reach their goal."

He says he sees this as a line in the sand.

In Alabama's legislature, the reviews of Allen's bill are still out on whether to lower this curtain for good.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...le691106.shtml

this isn't a gay issue.

this is an issue that strikes at the very core of what it means to be an American. in fact, what it means to be a Westerner. there's no question that one element of our politics - one that happens to have a stranglehold on Republican social policy - holds that religion should dictate politics, and that opposition to a certain politics is tantamount to anti-religious bigotry. though gay people are the big, bad boogeyman of this element of Republican politics, this is about, you know, things like SCIENCE, stem cell research, endangering the lives of teenagers with abstinence-only education, the teaching of evolution, free access to medical prescriptions, the legality of living wills, abortion rights, censorship of cable and network television, etc. it's taken a qualified doctor like Bill Frist -- who had done remarkable work in Africa -- and forced him to say that tears and sweat might transmit HIV and to make a gut-busting, hilarious "diagnosis" of a brain-dead woman via videotape.

i'm going to come out and say it: this is absolutely nuts, illogical, and anti-American. we are all Americans, we are not all this specific stripe of Christian. get your convenient interpretations of the Bible off my back, out of my classroom, public library, pharmacies, and bedroom.

perhaps i feel this threat more acutely than others, but it is a, to use another alarmist phrase, a grave and gathering danger.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:44 PM
Quote:
Allen originally wanted to ban even some Shakespeare.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:19 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:44 PM
. Some people are morons, plain and simple. I went off on a long rant about this somewhere else, and am all ranted out, so I think the banghead smiley will suffice for now.

Angela
Old 04-28-2005, 10:19 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

I think this is why I like watching "Maury Povich." It's one of the few shows where heterosexuals are displayed in the least flattering, most stereotypical light possible.

And "Alabama"? Don't get me started on that state. Crappy schools. 1890-era constitution. If Alabama is the model for the rest of the nation, we might as well rename ourselves "Mexico." But then I'd be insulting Mexico and their quality of life.

The evil industrial North should start demanding to keep more of its own money, because we're the ones funding the South and their "low-tax," "God hates unions" lunacy. Let's see how long they can last on their own. After all, welfare just gives people incentives to not work, and it shows with these states. Fuck the "Bible Belt."

(In other words, if our "Honorable" Republican lawmaker can sling mud at me, I can sling it right back.)

Melon
Old 04-28-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:44 PM
Oh, joy. I live in Alabama and work in a library. This makes me mad as hell. The idiot. This is the kind of politics I have to put up with. It's so Orwellian, the idea of someone coming in and taking away alleged "gay" books. The guy is calling for a veritable Reign of Terror against gays and lesbians. My comments about the guy got
Old 04-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Melon, we have talked about this. We have some very nice and intelligent Alabaman posters here (hi Verte and U2Bama), and I won't have the same melee over Alabama that we had over Texas. You know better.

On a side note, has anyone seen The Laramie Project, the play the author is referring to at the opening of the article? My (Catholic) college performed it a couple of months back, and I cried a lot. It's a really beautiful piece of work. And one that does an excellent job of examining how the same town that produced Matthew Shepard's murderers also produced many of his best friends.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by pax
Melon, we have talked about this. We have some very nice and intelligent Alabaman posters here (hi Verte and U2Bama), and I won't have the same melee over Alabama that we had over Texas. You know better.
I'm sorry. I just get so mad when I read stuff like this on a regular basis. I'm tired of reading all these gay stereotypes, and I'm even more infuriated how it seems as if no one does anything about it.

Maybe a few stereotypes about the "majority" might help people learn "empathy." Of course, it has nothing to do with the very nice and intelligent posters in this forum.

I dunno. I'm tired of all this. I'm tired of reading about this. If the U.S. was calling for resegregation of the races or another Jewish Holocaust, I'd expect the outcry amongst whites to be louder. And, yet, when it comes to anti-gay hate, we're supposed to "respect their opinion" as a culture. Bah.

Melon
Old 04-28-2005, 10:37 AM   #8
She's the One

Local Time: 01:44 PM
So, any Republican gonna defend this?
Old 04-28-2005, 10:43 AM   #9
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

I'm sorry. I just get so mad when I read stuff like this on a regular basis. I'm tired of reading all these gay stereotypes, and I'm even more infuriated how it seems as if no one does anything about it.

Maybe a few stereotypes about the "majority" might help people learn "empathy." Of course, it has nothing to do with the very nice and intelligent posters in this forum.
Well, point taken. I know that my understanding is limited on this issue. I just hate to see everyone tarred with the same brush, whether that "everyone" is Texans, Alabamans, or gay folk.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:46 AM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
I don't really think there is a case to defend, is there? As Macfisto pointed out, the man seems quite insane.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 04-28-2005, 10:54 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony

I don't really think there is a case to defend, is there? As Macfisto pointed out, the man seems quite insane.

Ant.
where is GOP_Catholic when you need him/her?
Old 04-28-2005, 10:54 AM   #12
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Permanent vacation.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:58 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Old 04-28-2005, 10:59 AM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
where is GOP_Catholic when you need him/her?
We don't like to talk about her. Did you ever read 'Jane Eyre'? Remember Mr. Rochester's mad wife who was incarcerated in the attic and would occasionally break free in order to attempt to burn down the house? Yeah, thats GOP_Catholic, alright.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 04-28-2005, 11:03 AM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

I don't really see how any can.