THEOCRACY WATCH! Republicans believe government must "protect our souls"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
Alabama Bill Targets Gay Authors
MONTGOMERY, Ala., April 27, 2005

A college production tells the story of Matthew Sheppard, a student beaten to death because he was gay.

And soon, it could be banned in Alabama.

Republican Alabama lawmaker Gerald Allen says homosexuality is an unacceptable lifestyle. As CBS News Correspondent Mark Strassmann reports, under his bill, public school libraries could no longer buy new copies of plays or books by gay authors, or about gay characters.

"I don't look at it as censorship," says State Representative Gerald Allen. "I look at it as protecting the hearts and souls and minds of our children."

Books by any gay author would have to go: Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote and Gore Vidal. Alice Walker's novel "The Color Purple" has lesbian characters.

Allen originally wanted to ban even some Shakespeare. After criticism, he narrowed his bill to exempt the classics, although he still can't define what a classic is. Also exempted now Alabama's public and college libraries.

Librarian Donna Schremser fears the "thought police," would be patrolling her shelves.

"And so the idea that we would have a pristine collection that represents one political view, one religioius view, that's not a library,'' says Schremser.

"I think it's an absolutely absurd bill," says Mark Potok of the Southern Poverty Law Center.

First Amendment advocates say the ban clearly does amount to censorship.

"It's a Nazi book burning," says Potok. "You know, it's a remarkable piece of work."

But in book after book, Allen reads what he calls the "homosexual agenda,"
and he's alarmed.

"It's not healthy for America, it doesn't fit what we stand for," says Allen. "And they will do whatever it takes to reach their goal."

He says he sees this as a line in the sand.

In Alabama's legislature, the reviews of Allen's bill are still out on whether to lower this curtain for good.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/26/eveningnews/printable691106.shtml

this isn't a gay issue.

this is an issue that strikes at the very core of what it means to be an American. in fact, what it means to be a Westerner. there's no question that one element of our politics - one that happens to have a stranglehold on Republican social policy - holds that religion should dictate politics, and that opposition to a certain politics is tantamount to anti-religious bigotry. though gay people are the big, bad boogeyman of this element of Republican politics, this is about, you know, things like SCIENCE, stem cell research, endangering the lives of teenagers with abstinence-only education, the teaching of evolution, free access to medical prescriptions, the legality of living wills, abortion rights, censorship of cable and network television, etc. it's taken a qualified doctor like Bill Frist -- who had done remarkable work in Africa -- and forced him to say that tears and sweat might transmit HIV and to make a gut-busting, hilarious "diagnosis" of a brain-dead woman via videotape.

i'm going to come out and say it: this is absolutely nuts, illogical, and anti-American. we are all Americans, we are not all this specific stripe of Christian. get your convenient interpretations of the Bible off my back, out of my classroom, public library, pharmacies, and bedroom.

perhaps i feel this threat more acutely than others, but it is a, to use another alarmist phrase, a grave and gathering danger.

I think this is why I like watching "Maury Povich." It's one of the few shows where heterosexuals are displayed in the least flattering, most stereotypical light possible.

And "Alabama"? Don't get me started on that state. Crappy schools. 1890-era constitution. If Alabama is the model for the rest of the nation, we might as well rename ourselves "Mexico." But then I'd be insulting Mexico and their quality of life.

The evil industrial North should start demanding to keep more of its own money, because we're the ones funding the South and their "low-tax," "God hates unions" lunacy. Let's see how long they can last on their own. After all, welfare just gives people incentives to not work, and it shows with these states. Fuck the "Bible Belt."

(In other words, if our "Honorable" Republican lawmaker can sling mud at me, I can sling it right back.)

Melon

Last edited:
Oh, joy. I live in Alabama and work in a library. This makes me mad as hell. The idiot. This is the kind of politics I have to put up with. It's so Orwellian, the idea of someone coming in and taking away alleged "gay" books. The guy is calling for a veritable Reign of Terror against gays and lesbians. My comments about the guy got :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Melon, we have talked about this. We have some very nice and intelligent Alabaman posters here (hi Verte and U2Bama), and I won't have the same melee over Alabama that we had over Texas. You know better. :|

On a side note, has anyone seen The Laramie Project, the play the author is referring to at the opening of the article? My (Catholic) college performed it a couple of months back, and I cried a lot. It's a really beautiful piece of work. And one that does an excellent job of examining how the same town that produced Matthew Shepard's murderers also produced many of his best friends.

pax said:
Melon, we have talked about this. We have some very nice and intelligent Alabaman posters here (hi Verte and U2Bama), and I won't have the same melee over Alabama that we had over Texas. You know better. :|

I'm sorry. I just get so mad when I read stuff like this on a regular basis. I'm tired of reading all these gay stereotypes, and I'm even more infuriated how it seems as if no one does anything about it.

Maybe a few stereotypes about the "majority" might help people learn "empathy." Of course, it has nothing to do with the very nice and intelligent posters in this forum.

I dunno. I'm tired of all this. I'm tired of reading about this. If the U.S. was calling for resegregation of the races or another Jewish Holocaust, I'd expect the outcry amongst whites to be louder. And, yet, when it comes to anti-gay hate, we're supposed to "respect their opinion" as a culture. Bah.

Melon

melon said:

I'm sorry. I just get so mad when I read stuff like this on a regular basis. I'm tired of reading all these gay stereotypes, and I'm even more infuriated how it seems as if no one does anything about it.

Maybe a few stereotypes about the "majority" might help people learn "empathy." Of course, it has nothing to do with the very nice and intelligent posters in this forum.

Well, point taken. I know that my understanding is limited on this issue. I just hate to see everyone tarred with the same brush, whether that "everyone" is Texans, Alabamans, or gay folk.

where is GOP_Catholic when you need him/her?

We don't like to talk about her. Did you ever read 'Jane Eyre'? Remember Mr. Rochester's mad wife who was incarcerated in the attic and would occasionally break free in order to attempt to burn down the house? Yeah, thats GOP_Catholic, alright.

Ant.

Anthony said:
I don't really think there is a case to defend, is there? As Macfisto pointed out, the man seems quite insane.

The Republican Party will certainly defend it. If it's anti-gay, the GOP will push for it like a lapdog for the Christian Coalition, or, as I put it, the "Coalition of the Insane."

Melon

let's remember -- THIS IS NOT (just) A GAY ISSUE.

this is about the encroachment of a specific kind of politicized interpretation of Christianity. we have every right to view this as a threat to the essence of the nation, and it is our duty as citizens to fight it wherever we find it.

pax said:
On a side note, has anyone seen The Laramie Project, the play the author is referring to at the opening of the article? My (Catholic) college performed it a couple of months back, and I cried a lot. It's a really beautiful piece of work. And one that does an excellent job of examining how the same town that produced Matthew Shepard's murderers also produced many of his best friends.

I haven't seen that, no. But I remember seeing an MTV documentary type thingy a few years back about the whole incident. Man...:tsk:.

My dad's told me that every time the whole Matthew Shepard thing is brought up here in Wyoming, everyone here gets really tense about it, as they'd like to remind everyone that not everybody here thought that what those people did to Matthew was good.

Also, while I'm not gay, I do understand somewhat where melon's coming from in the sense that I'm sick to death of hearing stories like what the guy in Alabama's doing, too, just 'cause I know how irritating this is to gay people. Why don't people like this guy in Alabama realize how much they're hurting people by doing things like this?. You're right, though, pax, thankfully, not everyone in Alabama supports what this guy's doing. Hopefully there'll be a big protest against this guy's efforts.

Angela

Re: THEOCRACY WATCH! Republicans believe government must "protect our souls"

Irvine511 said:
Alabama Bill Targets Gay Authors
MONTGOMERY, Ala., April 27, 2005

"I don't look at it as censorship," says State Representative Gerald Allen. "I look at it as protecting the hearts and souls and minds of our children."

not censorship? please.

this protectionist attitude about keeping pure the minds of our innocent children is crap. this has nothing to do with protecting children or anyone else--it's state-sponsored blatant discrimination against homosexuality. what affect will that have on children?

financeguy said:
Will Tchaichovsky CD's now be banned as he was gay??

this might be hard ... does the music actively promote a homosexual lifestyle?

symphonies, no, those are safely heterosexual. but if Tchaichovsky wrote any operas, or god forbid hummable showtunes, then those would most assuredly be banned.

Re: Re: THEOCRACY WATCH! Republicans believe government must "protect our souls"

dandy said:
not censorship? please.

this protectionist attitude about keeping pure the minds of our innocent children is crap. this has nothing to do with protecting children or anyone else--it's state-sponsored blatant discrimination against homosexuality. what affect will that have on children?

:up:. Honestly, my parents must be a very odd kind, then, 'cause I was raised to believe discrimination against others was wrong. I'd like to know when the memo came in that passing the concept of discrimination on to children was a good thing.

Angela

also, no more elton john records.

Really? This law might not be so nutty after all, then. :scratch:

They'd also have to ban George Michael, Rufus Wainwright, Queen, R.E.M, and pretty much a half of the music industry.

He'd also have to get rid of the writings of John Maynard Keynes, E.M. Forster and Henry James, not to mention Vita Sackville West or Lytton Strachey and Virginia Woolf, though he doesn't strike me to be much of a literary man to begin with, anyway.

Ant.

Last edited:
I honestly don't see how reading books about the gay lifestyle or books written by gays promotes homosexuality. Anyone who believes this is simply stupid.
I am not gay but I am educated enough to know you don't become gay by reading a book.
This is about more than the homosexual lifestyle, it is about the gov. controlling freedom of choice.

If you count bisexuals, that also tosses out Simone de Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre. There's also some speculation that Lord Byron may have, in between his (alleged) thousands of dalliances with women, had a few encounters of the same-sex kind. And this from the man who gave us "She Walks in Beauty"! :wink:

And let's not forget Michel Foucault, a gay philosopher and cultural theorist. (He was actually, I think, the only well-known philosopher to die of AIDS. It was sad.)

Shame on you people.

This man and his ilk are just practicing their religion.

They have a right to speak about "their values".

The President won a "mandate" because of "values voters" like these people.

If they can pass these laws they must be enforced.

Christians have earned their right to cozy up to the lunch counter.

Learn to live with it.

deep said:
The President won a "mandate" because of "values voters" like these people.

Heh. Man-date. Aren't those what the Republicans are trying to stop? :wink:

But yeah, that Alabama guy's nutty. To put it into internet lingo: WTF?!?:huh:

XHendrix24 said:

Heh. Man-date. Aren't those what the Republicans are trying to stop? :wink:
says who?

capt.txgh20404251659.bush_saudi_arabia_txgh204.jpg

He looks proud here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom