THEOCRACY WATCH! Republicans believe government must "protect our souls" - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2005, 12:18 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:59 PM
i did not mean to give you personal attention, I leave that to E man

Quote:
Originally posted by pax

I'll assume you meant that "you" editorially there.
I did not mean

you - specific

i meant

you - general
(i have to include myself, and therefore, you,too)

Old 04-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:59 AM
I'll just say that I'm a little uneasy that Bush doesn't seem to be able to say "no" to the far right wing of the Republican Party. I'm no political scientist, but I think most of the American electorate is a little more centrist and also more pragmatic--less doctrinaire than either the far right or the far left. Plenty of people who voted for Bush are more fiscally conservative and less socially conservative than he is. I was uneasy about John Kerry's position on Iraq, but I voted for him.

Old 04-29-2005, 01:16 PM   #78
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by pax

I'm not saying that people aren't responsible for how they vote, but what I am saying is that it's not fair to generalize an entire group of people on the basis of one single vote. I have no doubt that a great many people who voted for Bush are small-minded arseholes. I also have no doubt that a great many people who voted for Kerry could be characterized similarly.

i agree about not characterizing the people, but isn't it also true that no matter the reasons for their vote, the result of their vote was the empowerment of the extremists they may or may not agree with?

my beef is that i have several friends who are libertarian republicans -- strong defense (or, lovers of invasions, however you look at it), low taxes, free market, and pretty much anything goes when it comes to social issues, so long as no one gets hurt.

a vote for the Republican party in 2004 is not a vote for any of these things, and people are fooling themselves if they think the party is, currently, anything more than an apparatus of a very specific kind of social viewpoint.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:17 PM   #79
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i agree about not characterizing the people, but isn't it also true that no matter the reasons for their vote, the result of their vote was the empowerment of the extremists they may or may not agree with?

my beef is that i have several friends who are libertarian republicans -- strong defense (or, lovers of invasions, however you look at it), low taxes, free market, and pretty much anything goes when it comes to social issues, so long as no one gets hurt.

a vote for the Republican party in 2004 is not a vote for any of these things, and people are fooling themselves if they think the party is, currently, anything more than an apparatus of a very specific kind of social viewpoint.
All good points.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:39 PM   #80
Refugee

Local Time: 10:59 PM
Again, for a detailed look at the so called "Religious Right" and what they are up to please visit www.yuricareport.com
and for a far stranger and possibly "out there" theory check out www.antipasministries.com
Strange stuff but makes me think!!!
Old 04-29-2005, 07:21 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:59 PM

The bill died before it came to vote due to lack of quorum.

~U2Alabama
Old 04-29-2005, 10:03 PM   #82
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I think this is more of an issue with religious minded folk than it is of conservatives.
Most of your "religious minded folk" happen to be conservatives. At least the "religious minded folk" who think that my sex life is somehow their business anyway.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:41 PM   #83
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Most of your "religious minded folk" happen to be conservatives. At least the "religious minded folk" who think that my sex life is somehow their business anyway.
I think we all are using the wrong word to describe "religious minded folk" who think someone else's sex life is their business. They're not conservatives, they're perverts.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:13 AM   #84
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

I think we all are using the wrong word to describe "religious minded folk" who think someone else's sex life is their business. They're not conservatives, they're perverts.
Then we've got a pervert for a president, most of Congress are perverts, and there's a pervert convention in the Texas capitol.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:00 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
The bill died before it came to vote due to lack of quorum.

~U2Alabama
Good riddance.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:38 PM   #86
New Yorker

Thank God. This admin is the most corrupt in history.

Martha - I'd given up on religion until I met the preacher at my mom's church. He lives it, he's a protastant minister that believes like many catholics in non-violence and even started a "Center for Non-Violence at the most Repubican private University in Ohio, Karl Rove was here last week. Ashland university.

So now I'm at odds.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:04 PM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:59 PM
Quote:

And I think that by trying to get government involved in peoples lives is the exact opposite of the core principles of conservatism which is libertarianism. These tools are against individuality, against freedom of choice and usually pro-censorship ~ while they may consider themselves social conservatives their ideas about the role of government and the rights of the individual are quite different, very big on regulation and big government.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:25 PM   #88
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Then we've got a pervert for a president, most of Congress are perverts, and there's a pervert convention in the Texas capitol.
Well...yeah. Creepy, isn't it?
Old 04-30-2005, 09:34 PM   #89
She's the One

Quote:
while they may consider themselves social conservatives their ideas about the role of government and the rights of the individual are quite different, very big on regulation and big government.
No shit. Try telling them that though.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:36 AM   #90
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
And I think that by trying to get government involved in peoples lives is the exact opposite of the core principles of conservatism which is libertarianism. These tools are against individuality, against freedom of choice and usually pro-censorship ~ while they may consider themselves social conservatives their ideas about the role of government and the rights of the individual are quite different, very big on regulation and big government.

which is precisely why no libertarian should have voted for W. in 2004.

i feel bad for all my libertarian friends who were soundly duped by the administration.

actually, i don't feel bad -- they should have known better.