THEOCRACY WATCH: Miers picked because of her religion - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2005, 02:08 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:02 AM
THEOCRACY WATCH: Miers picked because of her religion

Quote:
Bush: Miers' Religion Key Part of Her Life
Oct 12 1:10 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

By NEDRA PICKLER
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

President Bush said Wednesday his advisers were telling conservatives about Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers' religious beliefs because they are interested in her background and "part of Harriet Miers' life is her religion."

"People are interested to know why I picked Harriet Miers," Bush told reporters at the White House. "They want to know Harriet Miers' background. They want to know as much as they possibly can before they form opinions. And part of Harriet Miers' life is her religion."

Bush, speaking at the conclusion of an Oval Office meeting with visiting Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski, said that his advisers were reaching out to conservatives who oppose her nomination "just to explain the facts."

He spoke on a day in which conservative James Dobson, founder of Focus on Family, said he had discussed the nominee's religious views with presidential aide Karl Rove.

Not even a congressional recess nor Bush's preoccupation with hurricane recovery and affairs of state have shrouded the continuing controversy surrounding his selection of Miers to replace the retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. Debate about Miers' credentials was prominent on the Sunday television talk shows and has continued to occupy considerable attention on the Internet.

Some of Bush's conservative critics say Miers has no judicial record that proves she will strictly interpret the Constitution and not _ as Busy says _ "legislate from the bench." They argue that Bush passed up other more qualified candidates to nominate someone from his inner circle.

On a radio show being broadcast Wednesday, Dobson said he discussed Miers with Rove on Oct. 1, two days before her nomination was announced. Dobson said Rove told him "she is from a very conservative church, which is almost universally pro-life," but denied he had gotten any assurances from the White House that she would vote to overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/10/12/D8D6K760J.html

maybe i'm naive, but i had thought that in secular democracies, one's religion is completely irrelevant to the job of interpreting a secular constition. it requires no religious faith to do so. faith neither qualifies nor disqualifies someone; it's simply not in the job description.

unless you've been inexplicably nominated by George W. Bush.

i wonder: is there an evangelical take on the 14th amendment?

Old 10-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

I laugh over the phrase "strictly interpret the Constitution." It's a meaningless phrase that just means "a fundamentalist Christian interpretation of the Constitution." Nothing more, nothing less.

Melon

Old 10-12-2005, 02:14 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Quote:
On a radio show being broadcast Wednesday, Dobson said he discussed Miers with Rove on Oct. 1, two days before her nomination was announced. Dobson said Rove told him "she is from a very conservative church, which is almost universally pro-life,"
Why the hell is this quack talking to that quack about supreme court nominations? And why the hell in this country would religion have jack shit to do with it?

I can't wait till these theocracy seekers are out of office.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:02 AM
Even Ann Coulter is outraged by this nomination. Bill Maher asked her if she has now turned against Bush and she said "Yes" and went on, ""This is the U.S. Supreme Court. It's the third branch of government. Yeah, we do want somebody qualified, surprisingly enough. And I'm second to no one in wanting Roe v. Wade overturned. But, you know, once that's done, there are other cases. And she is simply unqualified for the job. It's stunning that he would nominate her."

Why doesn't he just withdraw the nomination already? He has zero support.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

He scares me so much.

Not scared because he is evil, or weak, but scared because he is just so stupid.

I cannot wait for 2008.

I just cannot wait.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:10 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:02 AM
Another ass-backwards headline. No extra points cause Drudge already used a similar headline (though he misses the "Theocracy Watch" - you should copywrite that part).

Quote:
President Bush said Wednesday his advisers were telling conservatives about Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers' religious beliefs because they are interested in her background and "part of Harriet Miers' life is her religion."
People asking the administration about Miers' religion is different than Bush using a religious litmus test in selecting Miers.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

People asking the administration about Miers' religion is different than Bush using a religious litmus test in selecting Miers.
But he didn't say they were asking about her religion; they were asking about her background. I know it's a whacky idea but perhaps the background they were inquiring about had more to do with her qualifications for a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court (a secular position) than her religion.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:40 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

nope.

Bush has been presenting her religion as a qualification akin to where she went to law school, previous rulings, writings, or other normal criteria one would use.

why should her religion even be an issue?

listen to Dobson's comments.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:22 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

This is kind of being taken out of context.

People are NOT asking about her background. The "inner circle" is using her background to CONVINCE conservative hold-outs that her religious (read: conservative pro-life) background will get them what they want in the court.

The fact that Bush admitted this to the media makes him even stupider than her nomination in the first place.

This counrty is going to hell in a handbasket.

Thank you President Monkey.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:51 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy

Thank you President Monkey.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:09 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

aside from being an accomplished lawyer, which is commendable, though it does behoove me to mention that while she was the first female president of the Texas Bar Association, that means, then, that there are probably 49 other women who were the first female heads of their Bar Associations. but, anyway, it does seem thuddingly obvious that Miers was picked for two reasons that Bush *himself* has publically announced:

1. she was a woman
2. she is an evangelical christian

it is unbelievable that the President of the United States has chosen to apply a religious litmus test to SCOTUS. while no one should be excluded from public office because of their religious views, no one should be selected BECAUSE of their religious views.

unless, of course, you're living in a theocracy.

mullahs, anyone?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:20 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

You must know GWB's heart....
Old 10-12-2005, 05:22 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
You must know GWB's heart....

oh, you tease!

come on -- he came out and said this!

tell me, if Miers were Jewish, would she be the nominee?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:29 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

No, he didn't say this.

And to your last question - yes, why not. Or are you automatically operating under the assumption that Bush only picks evangelical Christians. I don't think you want to go down the road of accusing bias with questions like "if Miers were ______, would she be the nominee?"
Old 10-12-2005, 05:29 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I hope so!