THEOCACY WATCH: Rep. Tancredo, R-CO: "...take out their holy sites"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, let's nuke Mecca. Rather than just fight the fringe and extremists, let's do something that would ignite hatred and vows of revenge from the entire Muslim population. :rolleyes:

How in the hell did this nutcase get elected to office?

Irvine511 said:

maybe it's the heat, but i've really seen most of the good will i had felt towards the outwardly devout on this forum dissipate.

that's to be understood. when religious absolutism rears its ugly head the only people who don't see the problem are the ones who know "truth." whatever flavor it may come by this week.

anyway, i think i know the point you're trying to make about nationalism et al but i just do not agree at all. i think there are things that bind everyone together as a collective humanity and that these things should be focused on and superfluous bondaries ignored. we'll have to agree to disagree.

several people -- through their sanctimony, coupled with a whole "i'm just the messenger!" cop-out -- in here make great cases for Atheism.

if not for atheism, at least against organized religion. i, myself, am not an atheist simply because i don't think the question of metaphysical existance will ever be something humans will be able to answer. personally i see hints of intelligent design all around, but i have to wonder where the fuck is the designer hanging out now. i'm a former christian turned marxist turned agnostic. oh how the mighty have fallen. :sexywink:

Diemen said:
Yes, let's nuke Mecca. Rather than just fight the fringe and extremists, let's do something that would ignite hatred and vows of revenge from the entire Muslim population. :rolleyes:

How in the hell did this nutcase get elected to office?

a lot of our actions have played into their designs

many believe THEY have more credibility now than on 911

Irvine511 said:
i don't think "the enemy" can be summed up succinctly. "the enemy" can appear in the form of Saudi Arabian hijackers, or homegrown first generation Anglo-Pakistanis with bombs in their backpacks. this is a war of ideas, not of territory.

i think there are myriad causes that help create the conditions that create "the enemy" -- the two most important is the strong sense of humiliation felt by many who broadly identify as Muslim, and the second has been the radicalization of certain elements within Islam.

I agree with this part of your analysis. It is not a matter of territory or even nationalism.

When we talk about the war of "ideas", is it not fair to say that one element of the ideas are some of the teachings of Islam (let's say the radicalized teachings)?

Back
Top Bottom