Then Leave - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2003, 11:14 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:40 AM
Then Leave

http://www.asmincorp.com/thenleave/thenleave_001.htm

"Ever since 9/11 and especially now with the war in Iraq, I have become so sick and tired of all the anti-American venom being spat by people on the Internet, America On-Line and other such services. One day after viewing a message board about the war, I stumbled onto someone's post that simply put me over the edge. Calling President Bush, Hitler...stating how he hated America etc. So I posted back an offer...100% sincere and as professionally and politely as possible, offering the person a free, one-way ticket to a destination of his choice. My only requirement was that he sign an agreement that he would truly leave.

I offered to mail the agreement...he didn't want to give his address. I offered to fax the agreement...he didn't have a fax. I offered to fax the agreement to a Staples or some place where he could receive it...he was getting nervous. I guess he thought I was some kind of nut. I'm not...I just truly was willing to buy him a ticket to have him leave America. Eventually, he said "I think I'll just stay here".

A few days later it occurred to me...ThenLeave.com. A web site where these anti-American idiots can come and register to be a recipient of a free, one-way ticket out of the country. They have to sign an agreement that they will actually use the ticket and leave for at least one year. However, there must be some rules..."

Old 05-11-2003, 11:34 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:40 AM
Wait until a Democrat gets back in office, and, chances are, it will happen eventually...lol. They'll all be whiny bitches like they were during the Clinton era. Then we'll tell them "to leave," and, of course, they won't.

Melon

Old 05-12-2003, 12:04 AM   #3
She's the One

Local Time: 10:40 PM
Now the "love it or leave it" crowd from the Vietnam era comes back, just in time for another 15 year engagement.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:20 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Is it just me or is there something scary about the idea of a country where everyone who disagreed with the President had left the country?
Old 05-12-2003, 08:46 AM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:40 AM
oh gawd! just because you disagree with american policy doesn't mean you have to leave the country. what a jackass!
Old 05-12-2003, 09:04 AM   #6
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 07:40 AM
Sorry i have to laugh about it, i don't think you can take these "than-leave" guys serious but.. if you want to laugh about it too:

Total Donations: $176.00
Total Verified Candidates: 9

that's approx. 20$ per person - how far can you go with that? I guess you can't even rent a bike for this ammount of money

Anyway, rediculous. Democracy only improves because of criticizm.
There are stupid Criticizers, there are stupid Patriots - i guess the USA can handle that without thworing all of them out of the country.

Klaus
Old 05-12-2003, 09:29 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
Total Donations: $176.00
Total Verified Candidates: 9
This will never work. All those Hollywood figures who promised to leave if GWB got elected will only travel first class.

No matter how critical people are, they realize that they have it pretty damn good in this country.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:40 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I like how they think any foreign country will just let a foreign citizen come in and stay for a year.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:00 AM   #9
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

No matter how critical people are, they realize that they have it pretty damn good in this country.
Because we can disagree and change things here.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:18 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Because we can disagree and change things here.

Absolutely. Some people don't get it. I'm glad to be an American. I can support the government when I agree and work for change when I don't. Leave? What will that accomplish?
Old 05-12-2003, 04:23 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I don't understand why people renounce their citizenship. I will probably become a UK citizen when I qualify, but I'm going to have dual citizenship. Even if I don't like the government, changing my citizenship isn't going to change my background or my accent. I will still be American, even if I'm not an American citizen.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:30 PM   #12
War Child

If some ignorant buffons want to pay for my ticket to London, far be it from me to stop them, I'm signing up lol
Old 05-12-2003, 05:53 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Wait until a Democrat gets back in office, and, chances are, it will happen eventually...lol. They'll all be whiny bitches like they were during the Clinton era. Then we'll tell them "to leave," and, of course, they won't.

Melon
Yeah, exactly.

Honestly, that argument is so old and stupid-and doesn't even make sense in the first place. Does not the First Amendment guarantee us the right to freedom of speech?

I'm not leaving. I'm going to stay here and do whatever I can to help change things in this country so that people won't have to complain about what happens in it anymore. I love this country and hate seeing our government ruin it with the stupid things they're doing. So naturally, I'm gonna express some criticism.

Plus, what people who keep making that argument constantly seem to forget is that if we blindly agreed with every single thing this country did and said, if we blindly agreed with every decision our government made, we'd BE a dictatorship-which is the exact thing we just overthrew in Iraq.

People in the 50's and 60's didn't agree with this country's stance on segregation and said so-did that make them "anti-American"? Should they have had to leave the country because they didn't like what was going on here?

Seriously, I just want to go up to people who keep making that argument and say "Duh!"

And I'm still curious as to how disagreeing with your government, your country, on an issue automatically makes you "anti-American". Nobody has ever been able to give me an answer to that question.

Angela
Old 05-12-2003, 07:42 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Is it to much to ask that people try to be more objective in their criticism? How can anyone honestly say that President Bush is Hitler reincarnated? How does a statement like that help anything or change anything?
Old 05-12-2003, 07:54 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Is it to much to ask that people try to be more objective in their criticism? How can anyone honestly say that President Bush is Hitler reincarnated? How does a statement like that help anything or change anything?
I agree with this, Sting. Accusing Bush of being Hitler and stuff like this is nonsensical and counterproductive. We can always say "I think Policy X is wrong" or "policy X isn't going to work" or "I'm demonstrating against Policy X" without getting into melodramatic nonsense.