Then Leave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree, the majority can be wrong. But it certainly does not mean that they are. In addition, the minority would be well advised to look closely at why the majority feel the way they do, rather than creating conspiricy theory's or simply claiming people are dumb or brainwashed, because they don't feel the way they do.

The Proffesors comments on Empire and Superpower and what it means are similar to those who would claim he is a promoter of anarchy and chaos. Both in my opinion are false from a strict objective standpoint. But both are also good media because of their sensational aspects.

In my opinion, there are many good reasons to vote for George Bush in 2004. Four of them are Powell, Rice, Cheney, and Rumsfeld. The best National Security Team the country has ever had.

But then you have Ashcroft and a whole slew of extremist right quacks. Powell and Rice can't fix what's already a dangerous administration. I hope he shares the fate of his father.

Melon

and cheney is suspect. big companies have DC lobbyists. but did you know Halliburton doesn't have a lobbyist? know why? because they don't need one -- they have Cheney who is collecting pension checks from them. Rice and Powell are amazing in their jobs but two cabinet members do not make an executive branch.

I'm voting for a Democrat next year also. But heck, Bush will carry my state, Alabama, even if he loses the election. This was Bush country when Clinton was president. :lol: :lol:

Sting2,
Of all those you listed Rumsfeld is the worst. He can't even handle his temper during Pentagon briefings. He's a conniving jerk who doesn't respect the divisions of government, especially the State Dept..

Cheney is a close second. And you can be sure Powell won't stay around for a second term. If it wouldn't make him look like a quitter , I'm sure he'd be gone already.

Scarletwine,

"Of all those you listed Rumsfeld is the worst. He can't even handle his temper during Pentagon briefings. He's a conniving jerk who doesn't respect the divisions of government, especially the State Dept.."

"Cheney is a close second. And you can be sure Powell won't stay around for a second term. If it wouldn't make him look like a quitter , I'm sure he'd be gone already."

Rumsfeld has done an excellent job as Secretary of Defense. The US Military has pulled off two of its most successful military operations in history, the war in Afghanistan, and Operation Iraqi Freedom in Iraq. The Military under his leadership has performed very well. If I had to answer half of the crazy questions of an often ignorant media ask, I'd probably get a little pissed off myself.

As a Secretary of Defenses go, he has done an excellant job. Can you name a better Secretary of Defense? "Conniving Jerk" is not what I would consider an objective assesment of his job performance.

Cheney has been a good advisor to President Bush. He did an incredible job as Secretary of Defense under George Bush Sr..

Powell, is not going anywhere. Powell is running the show when it comes to foreign policy. If Cheney had his way, the USA would not have gone throught the UN process again at all. The USA would of invaded Iraq late last fall based on UN resolution 678 from 1990. Instead, Powell convinced President Bush to give the Iraqi's one last chance and got another resolution on top of the 17 others that have already been passed against Iraq. Cheney is still a good advisor, but its clear that Powell has held is own and if anything, has pushed Cheney to the side.

Powell has done an excellant job as Secretary of State the past 2 years and 4 months. He loves serving his country and is currently in the highest position one can be in in the country without having to run for political office. Historically, no other cabinet position has more power than Secretary of State. This has indeed been the case under Powell which is great. I'm sure the next 18 months under Powell will be great and he is a huge reason why I and many others will vote for Bush in 2004.

"Rumsfeld has done an excellent job as Secretary of Defense. The US Military has pulled off two of its most successful military operations in history, the war in Afghanistan, and Operation Iraqi Freedom in Iraq. The Military under his leadership has performed very well. If I had to answer half of the crazy questions of an often ignorant media ask, I'd probably get a little pissed off myself."

That's funny, Afganistan is a mess still. And Iraq isn't looking too promising as we speak. He may be good at the initial military action, and considering the strength of who we opposed it isn't saying much, but he sucks at the cleanup and anticipating ongoing reactions.
I'd say he can't take questions from the press that aren't an opportunity to stroke his ego or ask about a possible mistake.

Scarletwine,

"That's funny, Afganistan is a mess still. And Iraq isn't looking too promising as we speak. He may be good at the initial military action, and considering the strength of who we opposed it isn't saying much, but he sucks at the cleanup and anticipating ongoing reactions.
I'd say he can't take questions from the press that aren't an opportunity to stroke his ego or ask about a possible mistake."

I've got news for you, nation building is messy and takes time. Its not like ordering a burger with fries from BK.

"and considering the strength of who we opposed it isn't saying much,"

Really?!? How many men and women of the US military have you told this too? So you think destroying a military of 430,000 men armed with 2,700 tanks while only losing a 100 men in the process, is basically easy and like falling off a log? When was the last time a country of 24 million people was invaded and taken over at the costs of only 1,300 people, despite the number of bombs dropped and intensive fighting? I've got news for you, its never been done before.

I think you do not understand the massive challenges are men and women faced in Iraq. Have you ever driven a tank for five days through the desert with only 5-10 hours of sleep over those five days? Do you know what its like to have to where a full Mopp Suit to protect yourself from Chemical/Bio attack that could happen at any time? To have to have that suit on every second of every hour of the day? Did you ever think what it would be like to do your job with people popping out from every corner or building and firing a stream of bullets or missiles at you or the vehicle your in? They also worked extremely hard to reduce loss of life among Iraqi civilians and saved as many Iraqi soldiers who were wounded as they could, despite the hardships I listed above.

If you think operating in Afghanistan and destroying an enemy there is easy, why don't you ask the Russians what their experience was like the last time they were there. Think Saddam's army is nothing, well tell that to the Iranians or the Kuwaiti's.

The anti-war's crowd loud claims of 1 million dead Iraqi civilians did not happen because of a the proffessionalism and skill of the US military under Secretary Rumsfeld's leadership. It was this skill and professionalism that kept the number of losses on the USA side so low as well. Rumsfelds restructuring of the military budget will help keep the military strong in the future there by further increasing the chances for similar successes like Iraq and Afghanistan operations.

melon said:
But then you have Ashcroft and a whole slew of extremist right quacks. Powell and Rice can't fix what's already a dangerous administration.

Exactly.

And ditto what Scarletwine said as well.

Cheney scares me. I don't find it reassuring that we've got people like him, Rumsfeld, and Ashcroft in the administration.

Originally posted by melon
I hope he shares the fate of his father.

Melon

Me too.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom