The World is Here!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

db u2

The Fly
A question to the fans:

I see people from all over the world in thses forums getting along like brothers ans sisters. Why does the world always seem to be at War? Thoughts from around the globe?:edge:

We get along in here (for the most part -- but not always...just read through some of the posts) because it is a limited interest forum. For the most part the people who come and post here have similar interests in at least music and so are often able to back off when they get too heated in other areas (plus there are moderators who close too hot threads).

I also notice that there are not as many differences in culture and religion (or belief) as one might think here, at least among those who post frequently. I've posted similar questions in various forums and and each forum answers differently, leading me to conclude that birds of a feather.... That's not to say that everyone here is the same, but there tends to be more similarities than differences. That helps keep it from erupting into utter chaos.

Then there is nothing to gain here...in the real world there is. Here it is simply an exhange of viewpoints and ideas. In the world there is power, wealth, land, all kinds of things to gain.

I live such a long way away from it all it makes no sense to me. I grew up in the Outback away from the media and had no idea what was going on in the rest of the world until I moved to Perth.

I still dont understand.

I look at my 9 week old baby who giggles the most delightful and contented giggles - and then I wonder what happens as children grow into men and women. The serenity is replaced with greed.

I have not a clue why.

It's amazing to be connected to people all over the world. Being here changed my life.

I think that the World always seems to be at war because people stand strong with their beliefs. If people are unwilling to be tolerant of other's views or to try and understand other's views - they cannot come to resolution peacefully.

We arent the world, we are a bunch of U2 fans who have access to computers and the internet one way or another. We can all talk out our problems and agree to disagree. If we were the world it would be great, it could be like Plato's Republic.

Contrast this with the real world, a harsh place where people kill eachother because they are the wrong colour, wrong religion and on the wrong side of the government. Where the most devout believers are the most dangerous people. Where machettes suffice when guns are scarce. Where AIDS is killing millions. Where the poor just keep on dying and the governments dont give a flying fuck.

I don't think that blanket tollerance can lead to peace. Making sure that everybody has equal rights and liberties would do a lot more good than tollerance.

I dont really have anywhere positive to go with this, in fact now I feel a whole lot worse about the world, argh! I guess I will go and watch some Star Trek :hmm:

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
We arent the world, we are a bunch of U2 fans who have access to computers and the internet one way or another. We can all talk out our problems and agree to disagree. If we were the world it would be great, it could be like Plato's Republic.

We aren't the world, but we are all over the world. You still process global viewpoints that can drastically differ from what you discuss with friends at home.

Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I don't think that blanket tollerance can lead to peace. Making sure that everybody has equal rights and liberties would do a lot more good than tollerance.

I think tolerance is the first step to caring if everybody has equal rights and liberties.

But I would say that we represent pretty much the same bit of world, pluralist first world nations - we share a lot more in common than we have in differences.

The tollerance argument is fine, I agree in people accepting other peoples right to live the way they want and believe what they want to. Except when those beliefs harm other people, so when you say tollerance I am thinking about tollerance towards all people. There must be some room to manover here because some things simply cannot be tollerated.

Gets messy because when one becomes tollerant of despotism it is almost a form of racism where we can look to others and say "Freedom for me but not for thee",

A_Wanderer said:
The tollerance argument is fine, I agree in people accepting other peoples right to live the way they want and believe what they want to. Except when those beliefs harm other people, so when you say tollerance I am thinking about tollerance towards all people. There must be some room to manover here because some things simply cannot be tollerated.

Gets messy because when one becomes tollerant of despotism it is almost a form of racism where we can look to others and say "Freedom for me but not for thee",

I agree with the exception. I did not mean to include beliefs that harm other people. "Freedom for all!" :)

Maybe these grand statements could be

Freedom for All*

*Excludes totalitarian ideologies, despotic religious beliefs, harmful...........

:laugh:

Ah, this is much better. I just turned off the news tonight, my day was too damn good to be ruined by the rest of the world.

We need more happy threads here that are relevent, ill bring one in here somehow.

We may have people of different religions and we may have people from all over, but by no means are we a representation of the world. None of us are in poverty, starving, truly oppressed, etc.

And believe me, even in here where we seem to get along for the most part, if we were all in one room instead of behind computers I would have been shot at, at least once.:wink:

Yea, please don't confuse a website in which only those in the developed world, or those who are rich enough in the developing world to have access to computers and modern technology, can contribute ideas with the vast majority of the real world! :(

The majority of people in our world are unfortunately living lives of desparation - suffering from political, economic and social oppressions, and mainly of them lacking basics we take for granted - clean water, health care (of some sort), education and food. :tsk:

Under these circumstances, I don't know how willing I would be to be loving, accepting and forgiving.

So, nice idea, Dalkey Beach (wish I was there :wink: ), but this is Interference - not the real world. (a feeble attempt at humor) :laugh:

Good idea for discussion, though.:hug:

we seem more interested in advancing technology and less interested in understanding each other..

"Five enemies of peace inhabit with us—avarice, ambition, envy, anger, and pride; if these were to be banished, we should infallibly enjoy perpetual peace." — Francesco Petrarch

Back
Top Bottom