The word "Islamist"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcrt2000

Refugee
I'd just like to kindly request people to refrain from using this word because its particularly offensive in the context its being used.

The Dictionary.com defintion is:

1. An Islamic revivalist movement, often characterized by moral conservatism, literalism, and the attempt to implement Islamic values in all spheres of life.
2. The religious faith, principles, or cause of Islam.

Most surely, as a Muslim, I know that Extremists/Terrorists who are Muslim are definately NOT Islamists, if you use this defintion. Their principles go against everything I've formally learned about Islam, from the Quran, the Hadith, and the traditional texts.

If you want to see an organization which fits this definition of an "Islamic revivalist movement", check out http://zaytuna.org/about.asp

bcrt2000 said:
I'd just like to kindly request people to refrain from using this word because its particularly offensive in the context its being used.

The Dictionary.com defintion is:

1. An Islamic revivalist movement, often characterized by moral conservatism, literalism, and the attempt to implement Islamic values in all spheres of life.
2. The religious faith, principles, or cause of Islam.

Most surely, as a Muslim, I know that Extremists/Terrorists who are Muslim are definately NOT Islamists, if you use this defintion. Their principles go against everything I've formally learned about Islam, from the Quran, the Hadith, and the traditional texts.

If you want to see an organization which fits this definition of an "Islamic revivalist movement", check out http://zaytuna.org/about.asp

i find this very interesting ... i had been told (not to toot my own horn, but by a highly regarded journalist whom everyone knows) that using the word "Islamist" was more accurate, and more sensitive, when conjoined with the word "terrorist." to call someone an Islamic terrorist or a Muslim terrorist confers the legitimacy of that religion onto the act of terror; something which is wholly false. thus, using the word "islamist" is meant to distinguish an act like suicide bombing from a teaching of Islam; it is not, in fact, a part of Islam, but the act appropriates certain elements of Islam, thus making it "islamist."

i also use the word "christianist" to distinguish between christianity, and certain what i would deem "christianist" beliefs -- i.e., that homosexuals are objectively disordered, which is not a christian teaching, but rather a human fabrication that is dressed up in christian clothes.

Back
Top Bottom