The "Whaq Iraq" T-Shirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
...was spoken about this morning on a Buffalo radio station. A man called in complaining that his son was told to change his shirt at school. The man was clearly angered and the radio station claimed he had every right to be so.

...In a time of war, where thousands are being killed, did the man not think that perhaps this shirt was clearly distasteful? Children aren't allowed to wear shirts with any offences across them to school, whether it be a graphic image, profanity, etc. The child was not promoting his patriotism. He was condoning the death of others. I fail to see the wrong in asking him to remove his shirt.

Well, I agree in general with a school's right to exercise some control over student speech - specifically if it would disrupt the learning in the classroom.

But as a matter of speech, it sound like only anti-war sentiments would be permitted in some schools.

Some speech is more equal than others.

good, im glad the kid got sent home. im sure there are many kids willing to give him a wacking himself, if thats what he endorses.

Lilly said:
i have issues with parents forcing their beliefs on their kids.

If the same child walked out of class to protest the war, is that "forced belief" on the kid?

I guess it depends on the age of the child. A 5-year-old with the T-Shirt - you know Mom or Dad is behind it.

I just saw something on the news the other day about kids doing walkouts at their schools to protest the war. Most of the kids were just excited not to be in class and they had no idea what is really going on. The reporter asked them questions about Saddam or Osama and some of them didn't really know who either of them are. I think they were in junior high.

If for any reason, you feel the need to send your child to school with your political view/belief, and not your child's beliefs, then you are wrong, wrong, wrong. No one should be made to represent someone else' s views. If however, that child/ person is representing his/her own informed view, then speak out..
Let your children have their own voice, . otherwise you are not teaching your children to think for themselves.

Last edited:
They're sending kids home with anti-war shirts too if they're deemed inappopriate (like the Bush International Terrorist shirt). I'm glad they're enforcing it on both sides. I would disagree with a kid being sent home for wearing a "I :heart: GW Bush and His Foreign Policy" shirt. As long as it's not profane or violent or obscene, I think it's okay, but I think this shirt crosses the line in terms of promoting violence.

A lot of british children were out protesting against the war yesterday, I doubt they took it on themselves to walk out of school en masse, made me wonder who organised a group of children to do this at the same time as British troops were fighting in the gulf, Using children like this is wrong imo

I don't know....it seems so many people are doing things for the wrong reasons...my friend Matt has a T-shirt that says "Property of the US marines" which he keeps telling me he'll wear as soon as the ground troops are deployed (I haven't seen him for two days so he may have worn it already). The thing is...he's anti-war (unless UN approved). He's just doing it for the attention, to get a rise out of people. :crack:

nbcrusader said:

If the same child walked out of class to protest the war, is that "forced belief" on the kid?

I guess it depends on the age of the child. A 5-year-old with the T-Shirt - you know Mom or Dad is behind it.

yes, probably.

it's a rare day there is someone in high school informed enough to make those kinds of decisions, though they may have opinions, it's rarely based on facts.

at least back when i was high school that's the way it was.

I don't believe children (anyone beneath the age of 18, to be precise) should have the luxury of wearing such a reprehensible T-shirt; nor should they have the right to quit school in order to demonstrate or protest. What absolute lunacy.

Ant.

Back
Top Bottom