The West Killed God - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2003, 03:00 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DebbieSG

thanks Co'S! and hush, Diamond
im only here to-
wreak occasional havoc
create dialouge
and
to
test the thresholds of humanity w idiotic posts.

thank u
db3

Old 01-06-2003, 03:22 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Sure, the fact that I have 3 Scientist in my family does not mean anything?!?!?
That only represents your experience though - your personal experience doesn't allow you to make a generalisation about scientists as a whole. I could just as easily say that I have three friends who are studying science or working in scientific professions and none of them believe in God, therefore scientists don't believe in God. Clearly that's not an accurate statement if we consider all scientists, but it's accurate as far as my experience is concerned. You just can't use your own limited experience to make sweeping generalisations - it's just your personal experience.

Old 01-06-2003, 03:37 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Fizzing,

Did it ever occur to you that my family members who are Scientist have hundreds of colleages that they have worked with for decades and know very well? Thats a far more accurate representation that than Skeeks from the NAS. Its not my personal experience, its the experience of Scientist who have spent their lives in that field. 3 Scientist who are apart of my family. So ummm No, my points are valid and I will continue to express them.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:14 PM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 03:05 AM
Quote:
Bonoman,

Sure, the fact that I have 3 Scientist in my family does not mean anything?!?!? The fact that Skeek decides to site a poll of the NAS but neglects to tell us it was only their Biological and Physical Science department representing less than a 25% of the NAS and that of that only half of those people who got the survey even responded to it, and this is supposed to be a representive sample of what all Scientist on the planet believe. Facts?! More like a distortion of the facts which anyone who has studied statistics will know.

By the way, I'd like to inform you than an Aunt is not and in-law.

I guess you never studied Irish history in any sort of depth. I was refering to the practices of the Catholic Church and that in Ireland, things were very different from the way they were in Rome. Pagans and Catholics often worshiped together and were accepted into the Catholic community with their beliefs intact. The Celtic Cross is a symbolism of the unity between the Pagan community and Catholics in Ireland. This of course would not be proper to have done back in Rome. The Irish have always bucked the trend and tradition when it comes to everything to do with the Catholic Church. Irish immigrants to the USA freely married people of other faiths and so on, despite the fact that this was rare if non-existent in other places. It just goes to show that this whole idea that people did not have freedom of thought back then is rubbish.
Man do you ever need to take a anger managment course. Sorry if I never studied my Irish history. I just live there. I was only asking a question. Then you wonder why so many ppl attack you posts. FUCK.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:48 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Fizzing,

Did it ever occur to you that my family members who are Scientist have hundreds of colleages that they have worked with for decades and know very well? Thats a far more accurate representation that than Skeeks from the NAS. Its not my personal experience, its the experience of Scientist who have spent their lives in that field. 3 Scientist who are apart of my family. So ummm No, my points are valid and I will continue to express them.
Hold on a minute, I didn't say your points weren't valid, I simply said that your personal experience isn't necessarily valid to make generalisations about all of society. If you want to talk about your experience of the world (and the experiences of your friends or family) that's great and I'm sure everyone here welcomes your contribution to discussions, it's just that you can't claim personal experience is a valid way of making generalisations about all of society in the way that a poll or survey might be. I'm not saying your points of view aren't valid, simply that they're just that - a point of view, not necessarily an observation that's true of an entire society.

Anyway, let's get back to the topic, which is far more interesting than this little diversion
Old 01-06-2003, 06:17 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:05 AM
I like this question......

I have no stats to quote, only my personal experience. God is not dead......

We have separated ourselves from God. More and more I believe that as a "society" we are moving further and further away from God.

I am not in a condition to expand on this right now.......but I remember growing up and being able to spend time with my family on Sunday. Every Sunday because the stores were closed. You may think this is a silly piece of evidence for me to be focused on, but that time spent was very important and I wonder how much better off our children would be if there was one day a week when families could be together. It may sound silly, but spiritually, religiously, that day in my mind was a statement. It was a societal statment.

Just my .02

Peace
Old 01-06-2003, 06:19 PM   #37
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Bonoman,

Sure, the fact that I have 3 Scientist in my family does not mean anything?!?!? The fact that Skeek decides to site a poll of the NAS but neglects to tell us it was only their Biological and Physical Science department representing less than a 25% of the NAS and that of that only half of those people who got the survey even responded to it, and this is supposed to be a representive sample of what all Scientist on the planet believe. Facts?! More like a distortion of the facts which anyone who has studied statistics will know.
Well, the source I have said all the members were surveyed and presented the numbers. I didn't neglect to say anything. You may have neglected that I'm just a high school student using what I have. I'm trying not to be, but I find myself a little offended to find myself accused of skewing facts. It seems to me that you are being less rational and more stubborn about things, but that's just how it seems to me and has no bearing I'm sure on reality. I would advise a chilling out. And in the meantime I'm not going to post on this subject anymore, because it will probably just cause people to get crabby. Peace.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:22 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by SkeeK

Well, the source I have said all the members were surveyed and presented the numbers. I didn't neglect to say anything. You may have neglected that I'm just a high school student using what I have. ............ And in the meantime I'm not going to post on this subject anymore, because it will probably just cause people to get crabby. Peace.
DO NOT STOP POSTING!!!!!!

You are using what you have and us old conservative types are always crabby!!!!!

Old 01-06-2003, 07:20 PM   #39
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Dreadsox, when I said I was going to stop posting I was only referring to the whole religious scientists issue because it doesn't seem to be going anywhere except in circles of increasing pointlessness.

Thanks for mentioning stores being more and more open on Sunday... that's a very good point I hadn't thought of.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:07 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

SkeeK, I was watching some show on the CBC, and a person said that in Nova Scotia (I think it's NS), stores are still closed on sundays and they were pissed off that every other Canadian could walk into Canadian Tire on a Sunday, but they couldn't. I found it kind of interesting, so I guess regional differences also play a role.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:04 PM   #41
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Religionís importance to society has decreased significantly since the Feudalism of Western Europe. The political power and influence of the church as a controlling organization has decreased dramatically. Less people in the West follow the traditional Christian methodology, but many new beliefs and non-beliefs flourish due to individualism, rationalism, and liberalism. The organized church has lost importance, but personal spiritualism in various forms is probably as important as it ever was. The West has not killed God, but it has certainly altered His place in our society drastically. In the future it is possible religious importance will decrease to the point of God being considered dead, but scholars have argued back and forth and it is impossible to say definitively.

Questions? Comments? Snide Remarks?
Old 01-06-2003, 11:30 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:05 AM
Quote:
God being considered dead, but scholars have argued back and forth and it is impossible to say definitively.
God's away on business. Tom Waits
Old 01-07-2003, 02:40 AM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
God's away on business. Tom Waits
God has his phone off the hook

C ya!

Marty
Old 01-07-2003, 05:17 PM   #44
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I must say whether or not you think religion is losing its power on people, organized religion today is much closer to how God would want it to be. it is truer to itself.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:20 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:05 AM
Quote:
I must say whether or not you think religion is losing its power on people, organized religion today is much closer to how God would want it to be. it is truer to itself.
Hmmmm....

How so? I would have thought just the opposite.