The War on Tobacco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmm. I think the war is more of a phoney war, considering the actual tobacco companies continue - surely - to wield considerable influence.

For me personally, I can't see why the obsessive fuss about it all. I smoke cause I like it, but I keep it to my own private space (eg home), generally.

Kieran McConville said:
Hmmmm. I think the war is more of a phoney war, considering the actual tobacco companies continue - surely - to wield considerable influence.

For me personally, I can't see why the obsessive fuss about it all. I smoke cause I like it, but I keep it to my own private space (eg home), generally.

The obessive fuss goes way beyond tobacco.

We are all on the road to death whether we use tobacco or eat tofu all our lives.

We seem to have some belief that we will never die *some great leap of science*
or that we have some control over when we do die.

My 'War on Tobacco' threads here usually get few replies
and so many miss my point.

I'm not saying tobacco use is something I recommend , but I am saying that everytime we embrace a new law that restricts personal freedom (in the name of protecting us) we give way to a society that will eventually take all our freedoms away.

The WW2 generation are not to blame. They sacrificed and fought *and many died* to insure our freedom.

The Flower Power, Free Love Hippies ...they are the ones in power now pushing us into this Brave New World of total forever health, bliss, and governmental control and restrictions.
*man, did they cop out on their ideals*

To be continued...*if anyone replies*

Tobacco is the least of your worries. Our freedoms have been eroded consistently since the 1960s, but we only make a fuss when it's perceived "librul tyranny."

How about the 19 states that have "at will" employment laws? They don't need to fire you for smoking. They can fire you for absolutely anything. But hey...that's Republican-friendly, so it must be good for us, right?

Melon

Melon,

I'm not responding to your post, but I just wanted you to know
that I do not vote Republican or Democrat.

I vote Libertarian.

One note on the 60s: If Barry Goldwater had won the election, the Vietnam war would have been won in just a few weeks.

LBJ sent thousands young Americans to their deaths and Nixion
whimped out with a sad end.

the iron horse said:
I vote Libertarian.

As I see it, Libertarians are just disgruntled Republicans who are pissed off that they actually have to pay taxes like everyone else. I've never seen a Libertarian viciously attack the Republican Party, whereas they still stick to their old habits knocking "liberals." And in the meantime, they're just letting the GOP run rampant over those "civil liberties" that Libertarians supposedly stand for.

One note on the 60s: If Barry Goldwater had won the election, the Vietnam war would have been won in just a few weeks.

LBJ sent thousands young Americans to their deaths and Nixon
whimped out with a sad end.

It's all a matter of conjecture, now isn't it? Our current president certainly shares little in common with that vision of Goldwater, that's for sure.

Melon

the iron horse said:
The WW2 generation are not to blame. They sacrificed and fought *and many died* to insure our freedom.

The Flower Power, Free Love Hippies ...they are the ones in power now pushing us into this Brave New World of total forever health, bliss, and governmental control and restrictions.
*man, did they cop out on their ideals*

tell me, do you think sweeping generalizations about entire generations as well as media-induced stereotypes are at all harmful to your health? if not, how about to the conclusions you're trying to haphazardly draw?

Back
Top Bottom