The War on Soda Begins... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #16
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:21 PM
Why not just ban diet and sugared soft drinks. That way you can piss everyone off, but at least the kiddlies wont be dying of obesity related health complaints or suffering the effects of cancerous aspartame.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:47 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Vest
To blame soda pop for child obesity is not only absurd but just plain wrong. How about trans fats, french fries, LACK OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION. To allow a poison like aspartame to remain in schools and label sugar as the enemy is ridiculous. The dangers of aspartame far outweigh the dangers of sugar (unless you're a diabetic). This is just another perfect example of the "politically correct" with the right intentions doing the wrong thing.
Aspartame is not going to hurt you.
Yes, it breaks down into methanol and formeldahyde in your body, both of which are toxic in high doses, but you'd have to drink 600 cans of diet soda to get as much of either substance as there is in one orange.

the rats got cancer because they fed them so much of it that it crystallized in their stomach and THAT gave them cancer. Like eating sand.

The American Cancer Society, the American Heart Association, the National Cancer Institute, and the FDA all say it's not going to hurt you. Of course, some other people I've never heard of say otherwise... but aspartame is the most-studied substance in FDA history and has been consistently declared safe.

Aspartame rant aside, I think if they want to make school lunches healthier they need to make the lunch healthier. In high school the only "healthy" food available was warm milk and a slimy, highly unappetizing deli sandwich. Nobody's going to eat that. Other options were Arby's sandwiches, nachos, chicken nuggets, or pizza.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

The hysteria surrounding aspartame (or more accurately, phenylalanine) and brain tumors is completely out of control.

Maybe if people actually went and read the studies done on rats and understood what they meant we could tone down.

Next time you eat 2 eggs, you've just consumed more phenylalanine than is present in a can of Diet Coke.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 08:21 AM
honestly, after you study what is in soda you understand that some of those ingredients can be addictive. Corn syrup (I learned this on Boston Legal last night...googled it to be sure) blocks the hormone that tells the brain you're full.
Researchers have placed a pound of red meat (essentially what human muscle is) in a container of soda and the meat desintegrated.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:55 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
honestly, after you study what is in soda you understand that some of those ingredients can be addictive. Corn syrup (I learned this on Boston Legal last night...googled it to be sure) blocks the hormone that tells the brain you're full.
Researchers have placed a pound of red meat (essentially what human muscle is) in a container of soda and the meat desintegrated.
They did that on mythbusters and nothing happened. Not that mythbusters is scientific research, but I think a couple of guys putting a steak in cola for 48 hours and nothing happening is good enough for me.
They also put a tooth in soda for 24 hours (the myth is that the tooth will dissolve) and nothing happened to it, either... other than it turned brown.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:21 AM
Orange juice will dissolve a tooth faster than a Coke.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #22
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristie

Aspartame is not going to hurt you.
Yes, it breaks down into methanol and formeldahyde in your body, both of which are toxic in high doses, but you'd have to drink 600 cans of diet soda to get as much of either substance as there is in one orange.

the rats got cancer because they fed them so much of it that it crystallized in their stomach and THAT gave them cancer. Like eating sand.

The American Cancer Society, the American Heart Association, the National Cancer Institute, and the FDA all say it's not going to hurt you. Of course, some other people I've never heard of say otherwise... but aspartame is the most-studied substance in FDA history and has been consistently declared safe.

Aspartame rant aside, I think if they want to make school lunches healthier they need to make the lunch healthier. In high school the only "healthy" food available was warm milk and a slimy, highly unappetizing deli sandwich. Nobody's going to eat that. Other options were Arby's sandwiches, nachos, chicken nuggets, or pizza.
Mmm'yes. If I come back in my next life as a rat, I'll be sure to avoid Diet Coke.

Methinks the concept of pizza and nachos and chicken nuggets being 'healthy' is the problem with many of our Western diets.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #23
Refugee

my brother's nutrition text book wouldn't lie would it?
Old 05-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #24
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
my brother's nutrition text book wouldn't lie would it?
that depends. did bush write it?
Old 05-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #25
Refugee

ha...that's funny. I just responded to Sting2's statement that if Bush really did lie there would be clear evidence and he would be convicted.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:42 PM   #26
Jesus Online

i'd better go derail something else now lol
Old 05-03-2006, 11:08 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

As a bitchy nun once told me, the Constitution stops at the front door of the school.

Melon
Old 05-04-2006, 12:06 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
As a bitchy nun once told me, the Constitution stops at the front door of the school.

Melon
Unless, ironically, you go to a private school. We can pray to whomever we want to (or not at all), teach whatever sex ed curr. we feel like, AND I guess my HS can keep their Pepsi contract and 20-some soda machines
Old 05-04-2006, 12:29 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I can't believe anyone would even put soda in an elementary school.
My first act as VP....got rid of the soda machine.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:39 AM   #30
Refugee

If people are going to take this stand that we have the right to kill ourselves, then fine argue that the government doesn't have to right to make you drive with a seat-belt too. Yet in both instances, tax dollars are used to either treat the person for obesity related diseases or to help clean a dead body off the street. I don't want my tax dollars paying for things that can be avoided.