The War On Easter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i-do-not-get-america-right-now
:huh:

and i am very fond of the country.. but with all my love and understanding... I am failing to see sense in so many things/ thoughts.

I am so lost

adrball said:
Frankly, I'd be offended if I was prevented from celebrating one of my religious festivals. So what would the council do to passify me eh?

This planet is treading over eggshells to not upset the people who oppose other religions. It's about time that everyone was able to celebrate their own festivals at the same time that others respected them.

Co-existence is not everyone scaling back their celebrations for fear of offending others, but for others to respectfully allow them to do as they wish.

Let this political correctness madness end before the planet erupts.

I agree. For goodness' sakes let me celebrate Easter or I'll scream.

Here's Fox News to the rescue of the "War on Easter" as predicted.

http://www.bradblog.com

VIDEO - Fox Kicks Off 'War On Easter'

fox_ff_war_on_easter_060324a1.jpg

adrball said:
Frankly, I'd be offended if I was prevented from celebrating one of my religious festivals. So what would the council do to passify me eh?

This planet is treading over eggshells to not upset the people who oppose other religions. It's about time that everyone was able to celebrate their own festivals at the same time that others respected them.

Co-existence is not everyone scaling back their celebrations for fear of offending others, but for others to respectfully allow them to do as they wish.

Let this political correctness madness end before the planet erupts.

You are making this a broader issue than it is. This paticular issue is only happening in government buildings, which shouldn't celebrate any religion.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You are making this a broader issue than it is. This paticular issue is only happening in government buildings, which shouldn't celebrate any religion.

Please come to Alabama and help us keep Roy Moore out of the statehouse. This is my worst nightmare and it's going to happen thanks to our idiot voters. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Exactly which religion were they celebrating with a bunny?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The decorations also said 'Happy Easter'.

You think many people understand what the word means or the significance of the holiday, especially with the secular display? Understand it enough to be offended?

I guess we need to dilute the greeting to "Happy Spring"

nbcrusader said:

You think many people understand what the word means or the significance of the holiday, especially with the secular display? Understand it enough to be offended?

It has nothing to do with spring.

But yes, I'm sure there are many Jews who would feel uncomfortable walking into a courthouse or city building with 'Easter' everywhere.

I have Jewish friends who say they still meet "Christians" who blame the Jews for killing Christ...

Why is it so hard to just not place decorations in certain buildings, why is that so hard for some to do? I really don't understand.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
Exactly which religion were they celebrating with a bunny?

Christianity. You know, the one that puts a significance in the bunny.

Melon

nbcrusader said:

I'm offended by the phrase "Happy Spring." Do not force the Mother Nature god crap down my throat. I have rights not have religion in my face!!! I'll cry until I get my way!!!

:wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Why is it so hard to just not place decorations in certain buildings, why is that so hard for some to do? I really don't understand.

Let's make all government buildings a shade of gray. Then NO ONE can be offended (I think).

Re: Re: The War On Easter

Originally posted by the rockin edge

:scratch:

i know people (Christians) who have nothing to do with the easter bunny (or easter eggs) because it spoils the true meaning of easter.

actually isn't the rabbit closer to the true meaning of easter than christianity?

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
Let's make all government buildings a shade of gray. Then NO ONE can be offended (I think).

I guess you must celebrate every holiday in front of government buildings?

Melon

I'm actually quite surprised that in the US, you don't get time off at Easter. We get Good Friday off in Canada. Considering how much more religious the country is, I never understood this.

anitram said:
I'm actually quite surprised that in the US, you don't get time off at Easter. We get Good Friday off in Canada. Considering how much more religious the country is, I never understood this.

we don't have a national healthcare plan either. considering how much larger our gdp is compared to canada's it's quite a surprise.

nbcrusader said:

YES!!! All government buildings should be gray. Grey means no preconceptions!!!

That's how governments should govern...

I'm glad you understand.

anitram said:

The only thing that gets in the way of religion is $$$$. Just look at our connections with Saudi Arabia.

Shades of soviet scary grey block buildings in nbcrusader's post there. But then again, nobody actually paints the government buildings for any holiday.

Personally I'm against all modern architecture.

It never ceases to amaze me that the first thing people do in these situations is ban something. No better way to incite hatred than to insinuate that something has to go because others of a different persuasion don't like it.

Imagine what a different world we could live in if, instead of stopping something for fear (and this is the big problem in most of these situations, FEAR) of upsetting others, we actually spoke to each other and came to an agreement that was mutually beneficial. How good would that be?

A classic example of this in action is where my parents live. On one side they have people from Egypt and the other people from Lebanon. (This is in sunny Sydney) Anyway, my parents are from N. Ireland and have been brought up as protestants. Though to paraphrase my mother, she doesn't believe in that s@#t. However, at Christmas time she celebrates what I believe Christmas is all about, peace and goodwill (though she pretty much does this all year round just more so at Christmas). Anyway, her neighbours are religious and their religions celebrate Christmas on a different day. It may surprise you to know that on each of these people's "christmas's" they all celebrate part of the day together.

Why is this so hard? Why can't people be more tolerant of each others customs and beliefs? Instead of being insular and exclusive why not be broadminded and inclusive?

Does it matter what god we acknowledge?
Does it matter if we celebrate Easter with fluffy bunnies (or in my case Bilby's?)

I wonder what would happen if, instead of hiding away all the Easter tradition, we smiled at someone (no matter what creed they were) and offered them a gift of easter in the spirit that Easter is intended?

Nice post Tania. It helps to respect differences, but it's not all about celebrating differences. We should all be able to celebrate the things we have in common as well. Easter is a time of celebrating fertiility and spring in general. In Muslim Turkey they have a spring festival. I forget the name of it, but certainly one is supposed to be celebrating the time of year. If one presented someone with a flower on the first day of spring or right around the beginning of spring in Turkey it would be accepted with joy and gratitude.

The U.S. Constitution declares freedom of religion

not freedom from religion.

As a Christian, I see other religions represented where I live,
but this does not offend me.

the iron horse said:
The U.S. Constitution declares freedom of religion

not freedom from religion.

As a Christian, I see other religions represented where I live,
but this does not offend me.

One of the weakest arguments I've seen. And I see this phrase all the time.

Have you seen these other religions in government buildings?

Back
Top Bottom