The War on Drugs is STUPID. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2002, 12:15 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 07:59 PM
The War on Drugs is STUPID.

I really think that the U.S. Gov't is doing stupid things. They waste so much money on drug campaigns and shit and use subjective facts to try to steer kids away from drugs. I really think the only way of making sure someone doesn't do a drug is for a FRIEND or someone in person telling him about an experience. Basically, one of my good friends from a foriegn country talked to me about Cocaine and I know I will never, ever try it because I remember looking into his eyes when he spoke about it. It was crazy. And also, even though this issue has been talked to death, Marijuana should be legalized no matter what. It's not dangerous, it's easily-taxable and hell, for all we know, the Gov't could be keeping it illegal for its own profit - other than taxes, where the fuck do we get all this money from?

I just think that "Truth" and "Dare" is so stupid. If anything, it makes you wanna try drugs. What about that stupid "you could be helping terrorists commercial"? Hah, if thats true, then everytime you go to the gas station to pump up, your helping terrorists. Scaring people is a way of manipulation (look at religion for example, even though I personally do believe) and thats what the gov't tries to do. Yes, there are many horrible drugs, but MJ is not one of them. If anything, cigs & alcohol should be banned from society. That's just my 2 cents. Maybe this is a fresh perspective, coming from someone in high school...

Old 06-05-2002, 12:16 AM   #2
War Child

And if you read this and your like "What the fuck"? then read what forum this is. FREE YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2002, 10:24 AM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 01:59 PM
Re: The War on Drugs is STUPID.

Quote:
Originally posted by baker6621
for all we know, the Gov't could be keeping it illegal for its own profit - other than taxes, where the fuck do we get all this money from?

Could you explain this statement?
Old 06-05-2002, 11:11 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:59 PM
this is certainly an interesting topic.

but as written here it comes across as jibberish.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:18 PM   #5
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 11:59 AM

Quote:
I really think the only way of making sure someone doesn't do a drug is for a FRIEND or someone in person telling him about an experience. Basically, one of my good friends from a foriegn country talked to me about Cocaine and I know I will never, ever try it because I remember looking into his eyes when he spoke about it.
We're all entitled to our opinions but are you trying to say that drug abuse can be avoided by someone telling another person about their own drug experience? If this worked, I wouldn't be watching someone I love very much waste away mentally and physically because of drug abuse. And yes, many people have told her of their bad experiences with drugs and she went ahead and plunged right into major addiction. I wish it was only that simple.
Old 06-05-2002, 02:49 PM   #6
War Child

Re: Re: The War on Drugs is STUPID.

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase

Could you explain this statement?
The Gov't probably gets a lot of money for good (high THC levels) of Marijuana they sell. It might seem far-fetched but it would be a huge $$$ business for em'. They don't care about anything. Just $.
Old 06-05-2002, 02:51 PM   #7
War Child

Re: Re: The War on Drugs is STUPID.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

We're all entitled to our opinions but are you trying to say that drug abuse can be avoided by someone telling another person about their own drug experience? If this worked, I wouldn't be watching someone I love very much waste away mentally and physically because of drug abuse. And yes, many people have told her of their bad experiences with drugs and she went ahead and plunged right into major addiction. I wish it was only that simple.
I agree. But hey, its much better than DARE. DARE is a joke, if anything it made me WANT to do Marijuana or something else. It was the stupidest, most pointless thing ever. As I grew older, I realized that they were just manipulating us by scaring us. Since we were 10-12 years old, we had no idea.
Old 06-05-2002, 05:24 PM   #8
Acrobat

In my opinion, the war on drugs has been an utter farce, the problem is only getting worse and we are completely failing to do anything about it. The radical solution is the only option available: to legalise all drugs. What this will mean is not that the state or medical authorities will encourage drug taking, but that the state will regulate it, allowing, for example, heroin addicts to be weaned away from the drug in a safe and properly monitored way. At the moment there are plenty of people who are hooked on drugs and utterly dependent on them and to the suppliers who deal them. If the state or medical authorities (in the UK's case, for example were able to wean people off them in the right way, it would guarantee at least that people were not going to be injecting themselves with dangerous cocktails of drugs which they have no idea where they come from or their quality. We can't stop people taking drugs. We can discourage them of course, and discourage them as best we can. Drugs are bad news, whether you're talking about alcohol, dope or the harder stuff. But there will always be those who take drugs, and what we have to do is make sure that addicts aren't constantly fuelling the drugs trade (and god knows what else drugs money goes into) or injecting themselves with things that can kill them
Old 06-05-2002, 05:59 PM   #9
The Fly

Local Time: 02:59 PM
If marijuana is legal, the demand for more potent drugs will be increased. That causes major problems: more deaths, more money spent on expensive 'stronger' drugs, and more people experimenting.

For example, many people don't try marijuana because it's illegal. If you were found with it in my school, you'd get expelled. Most people don't want to take that risk, and so, they don't even bother trying it. If it was legal, don't you think more people would try marijuana? The more people who try marijuana experience the 'high.' Why do druggies go from taking marijuana on to taking cocaine? To better the high. I think that if marijuana was legalized, more people would try it. And then, more people would try more potent drugs. That essentially means that the demand would be up, along with many other negative aspects.

Of course, this could be debated all you'd like. There's no telling what could happen if MJ wasn't illegal anymore.

The DARE program was absolutely horrible.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:06 PM   #10
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Quote:
And if you read this and your like "What the fuck"? then read what forum this is. FREE YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha.. You have just negated all integrity in your statements.. by acknowledging it as a radical and reeking philosophical dump into our beautiful Forum. I find it very intriguing that people feel the need to justify themselves on things that they feel so strongly about.. (Beyond your little statement Baker)

I only rip you to maybe get you to edit the above mentioned post.. There's no need for it Baker.

L.Unplugged
Old 06-05-2002, 07:01 PM   #11
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 01:59 PM

Quote:

then everytime you go to the gas station to pump up, your helping terrorists.
The United States buys oil from Al Queda???

Really, our percentages of oil from Saudi and Iraq are relatively small. However, I take your point to heart as I would like to see us figure out a way to cut them off permanently
Old 06-05-2002, 08:45 PM   #12
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite

Hahaha.. You have just negated all integrity in your statements.. by acknowledging it as a radical and reeking philosophical dump into our beautiful Forum. I find it very intriguing that people feel the need to justify themselves on things that they feel so strongly about.. (Beyond your little statement Baker)

I only rip you to maybe get you to edit the above mentioned post.. There's no need for it Baker.

L.Unplugged
Um, idiot, no. You'r wrong. I don't think it's a radical statement, its what millions of people believe. Beautiful forum? Ah, the last word I think about this forum is beautiful. Normally, I think the word SHIT FORUM comes to mind because most of you are controlled by the media and have the most biased views in the world (ex. saying stuff about 3rd world countries but you've never left america - oh, except for the vacation under the sun haha) and thats why I don't like this forum. I find it intriguing that people think so much of themselves that they can judge others. There's no need for, Lemonite.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:58 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:59 AM
Quote:

Um, idiot, no. You'r wrong. I don't think it's a radical statement, its what millions of people believe. Beautiful forum? Ah, the last word I think about this forum is beautiful. Normally, I think the word SHIT FORUM comes to mind because most of you are controlled by the media and have the most biased views in the world (ex. saying stuff about 3rd world countries but you've never left america - oh, except for the vacation under the sun haha) and thats why I don't like this forum. I find it intriguing that people think so much of themselves that they can judge others. There's no need for, Lemonite.

Now, now... calm down Baker.

Lemonite was rather crass in his words, but his ultimate point was valid. What you wrote in your first post was strong enough to stand on its own. You did not need to write the second post in an attempt to validate your words. We all know this is the "Free Your Mind" forum where we are at liberty to express the thoughts you did. If anyone attacked you in this forum for not discussing U2, then they in turn would be attacked themselves.

Also, please don't presume anything about people. Some of us have visited 2nd and 3rd world countries. If you make assumptions, we could ask the same of you. Have you been to these third world countries? If so, share your experiences with us as they will help everyone understand your views. But if not, then please don't criticize others for they are basing their opinions on what they've read much the same way that you are.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:03 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Quote:

Normally, I think the word SHIT FORUM comes to mind because most of you are controlled by the media and have the most biased views in the world (ex. saying stuff about 3rd world countries but you've never left america - oh, except for the vacation under the sun haha) and thats why I don't like this forum.
:attn: watch yourself baker:attn:

there are some very intelligent people in this forum and though i think we could have a very interesting discussion about the influence of media(of course another time) this place is largely free of that. an interesting discussion was developing and it doesn't need to degenerate
Old 06-05-2002, 10:08 PM   #15
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

Now, now... calm down Baker.

Lemonite was rather crass in his words, but his ultimate point was valid. What you wrote in your first post was strong enough to stand on its own. You did not need to write the second post in an attempt to validate your words. We all know this is the "Free Your Mind" forum where we are at liberty to express the thoughts you did. If anyone attacked you in this forum for not discussing U2, then they in turn would be attacked themselves.

Also, please don't presume anything about people. Some of us have visited 2nd and 3rd world countries. If you make assumptions, we could ask the same of you. Have you been to these third world countries? If so, share your experiences with us as they will help everyone understand your views. But if not, then please don't criticize others for they are basing their opinions on what they've read much the same way that you are.
Shoot me cuz I replied to my own post.

But seriously, I'm not presuming. These ppl have admitted to not even visiting countries but still talk like they have. Yes, I have to answer your question, I was born in one. I would never bee such a jackass to talk crap about a country (just cuz the media) and never being outside of the US.