The War on Christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't think I'm "oppressed' in any way, shape, or form because I'm a Christian, trust me on that - but I think that's ridiculous, it's a Christmas tree. I agree w/ not offending, excluding people of any other faith or no faith at all w/ public displays or whatever..however it can go to such an extreme as to be silly. In Boston even the Democratic (yes he's Catholic but not conservative by any means)Mayor wants to call it a Christmas tree, can you imagine..in the bastion of liberal sin and debauchery.

How is anyone really being offended, excluded, whatever you want to call it by calling it that?

I have no desire to argue about this and be attacked, but what is the harm in just having one thing be a "Christmas" rather than a "holiday"?

I agree with you, too. I'm not a Christian (though I was raised one) and I really do hate Christmas. However, it's a damn Christmas tree! I really don't think anyone of any other faith, or no faith, wants to claim the tree as part of their beliefs. I think 'holiday party" is a whole other deal because in a work environment it's important to be inclusive. But I don't need Hanukkah candles to be called holiday candles and I don't need a Christmas tree to be called a holiday tree. :shrug:

They have to call it a Christmas tree, otherwise people are going to look pretty stupid singing "O Christmas Tree."

"O Holiday Tree" or "O Terry Schiavo Memorial Tree" just won't work. :wink:

corianderstem said:
They have to call it a Christmas tree, otherwise people are going to look pretty stupid singing "O Christmas Tree."

The original song, "O Tannenbaum," is literally translated as "O Fir tree." "O Christmas tree" is "O Weihnachtsbaum." :wink:

Melon

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Is there any other religious holiday that's been commercialized by a tree?

One has been commercialized by a rabbit and an egg, they don't even go well together on a dinner plate, but Rosemary goes well with both.

I do think this is all kinds of silly. I have a number of Sikh and Hindu friends, all of whom have Christmas trees up in their homes. Not for religious reasons, obviously, but because they liked them as kids or because most of their friends are Christian and they like to have the tree up during the holidays when they celebrate with them and so on. And none of them have an issue with referring to it as a Christmas tree.

MrsSpringsteen said:

:eek: well thank you. Honestly I was afraid to post that and that's sad.

Why?

Honestly. Why?

Does what anyone in here thinks mean more to you than what you believe? By being afraid to post something because you might not like the responses you get you are essentially agreeing that your opinion is less valid than others. Don't do that to yourself.

joyfulgirl said:

I agree with you, too. I'm not a Christian (though I was raised one) and I really do hate Christmas. However, it's a damn Christmas tree! I really don't think anyone of any other faith, or no faith, wants to claim the tree as part of their beliefs. I think 'holiday party" is a whole other deal because in a work environment it's important to be inclusive. But I don't need Hanukkah candles to be called holiday candles and I don't need a Christmas tree to be called a holiday tree. :shrug:

:up: to you and Mrs. Springsteen.

I don't see why it's hard to maintain this kind of religious and festive balance. :shrug:

I got pretty annoyed at our office after I had worked hard putting up decorations--neutral stuff like garland, lights, snowflakes, ornaments. Nice and simple, classy. My boss started whining that we needed to be more inclusive and she was going to go out and find things from EVERY religion to put up. Even those that didn't have holidays in December.

She didn't, because she's lazy (I have a hard time believing students came to her feeling left out like she claimed) but it was so frustrating. I am sensitive of everyone's beliefs, but we weren't including Christianity in the decor, so why on earth would you bring in a Buddha or Vishnu? To me, that seems incredibly tacky. I would find it fairly offensive to be Buddhist and walk in and see Buddha mixed with tinsel. :huh:

I would rather see such energy displayed in actually ensuring that all faiths are given holidays that we could all participate in. Give Ramadan the same consideration you give Christmas. I'm all for more holidays! :wink:

melon said:

The original song, "O Tannenbaum," is literally translated as "O Fir tree." "O Christmas tree" is "O Weihnachtsbaum." :wink:

Melon

:hug: :hyper: my favourite Christmas song! when I was a kid of 2 or 3 and always cried, my dad sang it to me (also in summer) with a verse he wrote for me. Daddys can be so nice... Im gonna call my parents right now :wink:

Fuck Christmas

Don't despair,
just because it's Christmas.
Children, they're
all so gay at Christmas.
All the children on the street
hope they get something good to eat.
But for me it's not so great.
Fuck Christmas!

this holiday greeting brought to you by FEAR

indra said:

Does what anyone in here thinks mean more to you than what you believe? By being afraid to post something because you might not like the responses you get you are essentially agreeing that your opinion is less valid than others. Don't do that to yourself.

It doesn't, trust me. No one in here has that power over me, and my opinion isn't less valid, I am aware of that :). It's merely the manner that some people have in here of expressing themselves and belittling others. It can be relentless, and I'm just not in the mood for it. That's all.

It has nothing to do with "not liking the responses I get"

Gee the Rockefeller tree last night was called a Christmas tree-I hope no one was offended. Regis Philbin's "singing" was extremely offensive, but that's an entirely different issue..

MrsSpringsteen said:

It's merely the manner that some people have in here of expressing themselves and belittling others. It can be relentless

I notice that too - not sure why they thing their opinion is more important than anyone else's. :huh:

MsGiggles said:
I notice that too - not sure why they thing their opinion is more important than anyone else's. :huh:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

:wink:

financeguy said:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

:wink:

You well-read Irish are always ready with a good quote. :up: :wink:

Hi-

I don't have time to look through this whole thread, but I'm a teacher and for my current events class we are going to discuss the topic of whether or not Christmas belongs in the classroom.

Anybody have any good news articles both pro and con on this subject? I've found a few but could use a few more. It'd be a great help.

Back
Top Bottom