the uselessness of nationalism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
follower said:
As for the main topic, I agree that there is a difference between nationalism and patriotism. Extreme nationalism is evil...wasn?t the word nationalism that generated that other one, nazism?

You have summed it up very well here, follower.

~U2Alabama

CannibalisticArtist said:
khanada have you been a member of SA for long? i saw you post there under the same name.
just for about a few months. my husband's been there waaaaaay longer than me, though, and he convinced me to get an account back in march or april, i think. :)

what's your name over there? i did see someone named wilt chamberlin or something say hi to me in a tattoo thread and i was wondering who that was.

edit: just checked, i joined 5/7/02.

Last edited:
play nice

KhanadaRhodes said:
i know. it really makes it hard to give an argument credibility when it looks like it was written by a 10 year old AOL user.

That was uncalled for.

Originally posted by Zoomerang96
khanada you can shut the fuck up. see?

And so was that.

KhanadaRhodes said:

just for about a few months. my husband's been there waaaaaay longer than me, though, and he convinced me to get an account back in march or april, i think. :)

what's your name over there? i did see someone named wilt chamberlin or something say hi to me in a tattoo thread and i was wondering who that was.

edit: just checked, i joined 5/7/02.

yep that's my name there, i have been lurking since like 2 years ago and then quit, now i am back and i finally signed up. also what's your husbands name there? interferencers invade SA hahhaha:)

Last edited:
U2Bama said:
And what do the Dutch sing in their national anthem???

You, my God and Lord, are my shield, on You I rely.On You I will build; never leave me, So that I may remain pious, your servant at all moments,Dispelling the tyranny that wounds my heart.

The difference is that 99% of the Dutch only know the first 2 lines of the national anthem.

You can always count on KhanadaRhodes to post some negativity

"They kicked God out of the school - and then sang God Bless America."

I don't like the saying "God Bless America" - It really bugs me. It's a damn song folks, not a rally cry.

It is sooooo odd that we are rallying around this song - hanging village street signs and posting bumper sitckers on our cars with this statement, while at the same time - banning the pledge of Allegiance because we are "one nation, under God." It doesn't make much sense.

Oh, and how do Indian Nations (Iriquois, Souix, etc.) fit in to this statement?

Last edited:
Hmm, bear I was thinking about this post the other day as I had little else to do, and I have decided on my serious answer.

I dont know if you are talking about America only, or in what context you refer to nationalism etc. But I have decided I think its a good thing. See, we say people are the same where ever you go, and that no country (based on the people) is better than another. I think that much is true, but, I dont think we can all live the same, and cut down our barriers. The world is filled with so many different people, countries and cultures that I think we cannot ever see some kind of 'one world' practice. I look at the way I live my life, and think about how differently others live theirs, and you know, I dont want to change to meet some general universal ideal. I dont expect anyone else to do the same for mine.
You mentioned borders and this land is my land kind of thing. I can see where you are looking at the negative influence in that, but what would happen if you took it away? I know you probably mean that wars are fought over that kind of caper and ownership causes more trouble than it should, but do you think we can pull down all barriers and live together? Birds of a feather stick together and we aim for a peaceful world. Co-exisatance may be achieved one day, but we will always need our boundaries I think. We need our nationalism and our pride in where we are at.

I think if we all followed deathbears reasoning it wouldn't be long before we were tied to the land again in some feudal society of appropriation ruled by aristocrats. That system was abolished for a reason!
Zoom...human character will never allow for your type of society.

Re: You can always count on KhanadaRhodes to post some negativity

zonelistener said:
"They kicked God out of the school - and then sang God Bless America."

They say they want the Kingdom, but they don't want God in it.

~Bono & Johnny Cash

Back
Top Bottom