The US: not really liked by the rest of the world - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2002, 01:55 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Hi Jess!

With all due respect I have some comments:

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Edge

And what country would be foolish enough to vote against the US anyway, risking repercussions down the line? Remember, "you're either for us or against us" there are no shades of grey...
He said this regarding terrorism, and to nations harboring terrorists, not in regards to the Iraq war.

Quote:
Sting2, up to now this entire conversation has focussed on the military, but I think the reason that people believe that Americans think they are superior to everyone, is because we are bombarded 24/7 with movies and TV images of Americans singing "God Bless America" and chanting USA! USA! USA! and saying that they are the greatest country in the whole world, and threatening to kick people's asses etc.....

The point is, if Americans think their country is #1 in the world, then by default, they must also be the #1 people of the world. We are given the impresson that there is this sense of entitlement in being an American, like they are God's chosen people.
Great points in that first paragraph- I had been thinking the same exact thing. However because it is dramatized that way in the movies or on TV does NOT mean it reflects how Americans think (although it may affect how they think). Let's remember that Hollywood also presents images of emaciated women who have been face-lifted and tummy-tucked so much they are simply a bag of bones- does this mean this is what every American desires (for themselves or their loved ones)? No. So while they may want to look good (or be patriotic) the majority won't go to the lengths of hurting themselves or others for their cause.

Quote:
I know there are millions of Americans out there who believe they are priviledged to be part of such a wonderful country and don't feel superior....but that is not the overwhelming image Americans project through their media. I think the rest of the world is pretty sick and tired of having the US agenda be front and centre all the time.
I agree, and this becomes a media problem more so than an American "we rule you drool" issue.. Same way with the portrayal of "thinness" on the media or any other issue.

Quote:
Just on a side note, have you ever seen that show "Talking to Americans" where Rick Mercer, this Canadian comedian runs around pretending to be a news reporter and telling Americans on the streets all kinds of outrageous things about Canada that they all believe....well when Americans look in the camera and proclaim "Congratulations, Canada on legalizing the stapler!" and "Congratulations Canada on joining North America!" and "Congratulations Canada on getting 24 hour time!" you can't help but have a soft spot for their friendly enthusiasm while also being totally horrified.....Americans are certainly a demonstrative and enthusiastic bunch.....
Funny.. but there are lots of stupid people everywhere. This reminds me of Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" bits he does, stumping people over simple questions (like, "what controls the tide?" or "what's the capitol of New York?" type of things). It's wrong to say people are ignorant just in regards to Candians!

Old 12-16-2002, 06:04 PM   #107
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:54 AM
Quote:

Sting2, up to now this entire conversation has focussed on the military, but I think the reason that people believe that Americans think they are superior to everyone, is because we are bombarded 24/7 with movies and TV images of Americans singing "God Bless America" and chanting USA! USA! USA! and saying that they are the greatest country in the whole world, and threatening to kick people's asses etc.....
Mrs. Edge,

Thank you for a respectful comment on things. It is appreciated and many of your points are valid. I have not seen anyone parading around in the streets saying USA USA and other than my children in the car, I have not seen anyone else singing "God Bless America".

That being said, I do not know what other countries put on their news....nor do I know what how they present the United States to their citizens. If it is anything like our news, I am sure they portray what they want you to see, just as our media does here in the States.

I have learned more about other people and their beliefs since I started cruising the web, and reading other materials besides the things presented by our press here.

Peace

Old 12-16-2002, 06:34 PM   #108
War Child

Local Time: 02:54 AM
look, just the fact that the majority of the people are complainning, means that something is wrong, not that they are 'jealous' or 'against you'. this is not kindergarden. some practices are just plain wrong, and millions of people can't ALL be wrong. this is not some fairy tale where one hero rises up in an evil world to save it.

it's like when a company get loads of complaints from their employees, they can either be nice and address the problem and try to fix it, or label the employees as whiney, jealous, morons who don't know anything about management and go down the drain. not everybody is competing all the time. criticism is good because it points out your shortcomings to you so you can fix them and be better.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:46 PM   #109
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:54 AM

judging some of these posts i see they will let just about anyone in FYM

thank u
DB9
Old 12-16-2002, 06:55 PM   #110
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Dreadsox, thank you for that...the thing I admire about you and Sting2 is that you are always able to discuss things without resorting to mudslinging.

Olive, thanks for your comments too! You are probably right about that comment and terrorism, although I still think a country really has to think twice before doing something contrary to the US's plans.

Anyway, carry on.....
Old 12-16-2002, 06:59 PM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Dreadsox, thank you for that...the thing I admire about you and Sting2 is that you are always able to discuss things without resorting to mudslinging.

Olive, thanks for your comments too! You are probably right about that comment and terrorism, although I still think a country really has to think twice before doing something contrary to the US's plans.

Anyway, carry on.....
yes Dread and Sting are typical of conservatives in real life..
Im not.
Olive is very smart for a girl
Mrs Edge has potential as a Canadian.

thank u-
DB9
Old 12-16-2002, 08:05 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Anyway, carry on.....
Thanks Mrs. Edge. I would agree on that last part . What dreadsox says brings up a great point- I know in India the media they receive of the U.S. consists of shows like Baywatch, and therefore they think the U.S. culture consists of bimbos only concerned with sex.

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Olive is very smart for a girl
I'm privilaged to uphold the standards for the female race, thank you Diamond. I don't know how I do it (without the help of testosterone) but I try..
Old 12-17-2002, 03:00 PM   #113
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm
Hi Jess!

With all due respect I have some comments:

<snip>

you always know if someone starts off with that, you're screwed. I wonder if people prefix with that just so they can say whatever the hell they want and still cover their backs...

Nothing personal to your views or anything, the terminology just amuses me
Old 12-17-2002, 05:11 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by cloudimani

you always know if someone starts off with that, you're screwed. I wonder if people prefix with that just so they can say whatever the hell they want and still cover their backs...

Nothing personal to your views or anything, the terminology just amuses me
I think you're more screwed if someone starts it off without saying "with all due respect"

I only said that b/c I haven't talked to Jess in a while, and I didn't want her to think I was attacking her, since she is a friend of mine.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:25 PM   #115
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:54 AM
yeah, thats fair enough As I said, it was nothing to do with your views, just amuses me that all

and yes, I am very strange...
Old 12-19-2002, 05:05 AM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
judging some of these posts i see they will let just about anyone in FYM

thank u
DB9
Old 12-19-2002, 07:25 AM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life

Read you.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:53 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:54 AM
Quote:

Anyway, carry on.....
I try....I delete a lot of my ideas before I post