The US: not really liked by the rest of the world - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2002, 10:19 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:00 PM
Zoomerang96,

How many Canadians know what their country spent on Defense last year? How many of them have any idea how many Canadians serve in the armed forces? How many of them know which countries Canadian soldiers are serving in? How many of them have an idea of how many Canadian soldiers are serving in each country? How many Canadians know anything about the type and quantity of the equipment their military uses? How many of them know about the quality and age of the equipment?

Old 12-06-2002, 11:19 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
dreadsox, you sound like a little boy thats about to get 10 dollars from his grandfather.
ROFL....Ohhhh that hurts!

Old 12-07-2002, 12:16 AM   #33
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:00 AM
I dont see a sample poll such as this as indicative either way for the world's views on America or American foreign policy.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:15 AM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:00 AM
dreadsox, maybe if you werent so paranoid about being "burnt" you would have realized that i wasnt putting you down.

sting2, your questions are rediculous. all of them are militairy based and you know what? not all of us are obsesssed with shooting guns like you guys are.

and you still havent answered my questions! can you or cant you answer those questions?

my questions are basic geographical questions.

heres another story that came out today.

looks like bush and co. want their island to be even more isolated and kill our economy. thanks george!

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/20...4/6439-cp.html
Old 12-07-2002, 04:21 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Zoomerang96,

Sorry, I did not even know which questions you were talking about and that they were directed specifically at me. Winnipeg, Manitoba is located south east of Lake Manitoba and south of lake Winnipeg close to where the Assiniboine river runs into the Red River, around 50 or so miles north of North Dakota. Your capital is Ottawa located in Ontario but not to far from Montreal and along the Ontario/Quebec border. China's capital is of course Peking.

My questions are not crazy, they are just a little more detailed than your basic geography questions. But thats not the reason I was asking them. I was just trying to get a feel of what Canadians new about their military since its where 7% of your tax dollars go and a contributing part of Canada's foreign policy. Just questions really. Maybe no one here from Canada knows the answers to them. I was just asking.

Its a bit silly to equate all things that might involve the military as "shooting guns". But thats just my opinion.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:51 AM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Zoomerang96,

Sorry, I did not even know which questions you were talking about and that they were directed specifically at me. Winnipeg, Manitoba is located south east of Lake Manitoba and south of lake Winnipeg close to where the Assiniboine river runs into the Red River, around 50 or so miles north of North Dakota. Your capital is Ottawa located in Ontario but not to far from Montreal and along the Ontario/Quebec border. China's capital is of course Peking.

My questions are not crazy, they are just a little more detailed than your basic geography questions. But thats not the reason I was asking them. I was just trying to get a feel of what Canadians new about their military since its where 7% of your tax dollars go and a contributing part of Canada's foreign policy. Just questions really. Maybe no one here from Canada knows the answers to them. I was just asking.

Its a bit silly to equate all things that might involve the military as "shooting guns". But thats just my opinion.
Dang it I knew I had the answers to the questions wrong. I thought the territory to the North was a territory.

Shoot. Thanks Sting for clearing it up. I was waiting for them to apply for statehood.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:18 AM   #37
you are what you is

Local Time: 04:00 PM
all I know is that the last couple of years (started by the media spectacle surrounding Clinton) media coverage over here isn't mildly pro US anymore like it was for a long time

since the Iraq situation it even tends to be a bit on the negative

and if you give the media enough time most people will follow their lead (but you knew that already)
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-07-2002, 12:02 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:00 AM

Media and their big ideas..
Old 12-07-2002, 05:17 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

diamond, dont worry! the media is fully behind bush!
Old 12-07-2002, 09:19 PM   #40
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Zoomerang96,

How many Canadians know what their country spent on Defense last year? How many of them have any idea how many Canadians serve in the armed forces? How many of them know which countries Canadian soldiers are serving in? How many of them have an idea of how many Canadian soldiers are serving in each country? How many Canadians know anything about the type and quantity of the equipment their military uses? How many of them know about the quality and age of the equipment?
Honestly off the top off my head i will try to answer these questions:

7.7 billion
around 60,000
They were in Afganistan, Bosnia
I know there was alot of the PPCLI in Afganistan and Bosnia it would proably not be that much
Our equipment is shit, old old old.

And say i answered all these questions right would that prove anything. I could ask some person in the states how much there country spends. Actually i ask any American to answer these same questions without going searching for the answer. I am a honest person and i didnt look these up. And Sting2 i am sure you could answer all the question so i could care less if you can.

Also, i would be intrested in seeing some of the other countries like Canada, UK, France, Italy, China stats on world approvals. I would like to think that they would probably be higher then the States. Oh and Sting you were right and i was wrong about the majority. Sorry. I should have looked harder. But there was a total of 87% drop from last year even after September eleventh.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:34 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The questions were asked out of curiousity, not to prove anything.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:39 PM   #42
Refugee

the questions were asked out of curiosity,,,
Old 12-08-2002, 12:56 PM   #43
Refugee

The day, the americans that got angry for the result of those pools really get interested in finding the casue of it, and the major pain in the ass the US foreign policy is, and when some of the right hand posters here stop changing the words, and mocking the people which ideas are diferent from them, then maybe they will understand what is this antiamericanism comming from.

I want to point that, americans are welcomed in most places as far as I'm concerned, of course there should be exceptions, ppl in general like american culture and products, and most of all, american are really apreciated, I can tell I have good friends in US, what is at discussion here is FOREIGN POLICY, and how it affects the intervensionism of the US, and the rethoric of Mr. Bush.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:45 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The questions were asked out of the curiosity to know how much Canadians new about their military.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:00 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

First, the polls still showed that the majority of people in Foreign Countries still have a favorable opinion of the USA. 2nd in regards to Iraq, the majority still support the removal of Saddam Hussain from power and few Saddam as a threat. Where the majority of people in Foreign Countries disagree with US citizens is how to get Saddam out of power. The majority of foreign voters in those countries polled are against unseating Saddam with US military forces. They do favor unseating Saddam though, but fail to offer any alternative to the one the method their opposed to.

US Foreign Policy is formed to insure the security and interest of the United States and global community. Foreign opinion is looked at and taking into consideration. But the fact that a majority in a particular country oppose it or disagree with it on certain issues is not going to stop the USA from doing what it feels is right, necessary, and in the best interest of the USA and the global community.