The US Army is based on plastic (surgery)? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-23-2004, 11:35 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,543
Local Time: 09:20 PM
The US Army is based on plastic (surgery)?

This is from the Boston Globe (although I'd already read it earlier):

Quote:
Bigger breasts for free: join the Army

July 23, 2004

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. Army has long lured recruits with the slogan "Be All You Can Be," but now soldiers and their families can receive plastic surgery, including breast enlargements, on the taxpayers' dime.

The New Yorker magazine reports in its July 26th edition that members of all four branches of the U.S. military can get face-lifts, breast enlargements, liposuction and nose jobs for free -- something the military says helps surgeons practice their skills.

"Anyone wearing a uniform is eligible," Dr. Bob Lyons, chief of plastic surgery at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio told the magazine, which said soldiers needed the approval of their commanding officers to get the time off.

Between 2000 and 2003, military doctors performed 496 breast enlargements and 1,361 liposuction surgeries on soldiers and their dependents, the magazine said.

The magazine quoted an Army spokeswoman as saying, "the surgeons have to have someone to practice on."
So now you know where the bigger Defense budget goes to...



Marty
__________________

__________________
Popmartijn is offline  
Old 07-23-2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Reconstructive surgery is an important skill. Since you don't want to create situations where the surgury is necessary, you open the door for voluntary situation. The result is increase operating room time for doctors and nurses to hone their skills.

Instead of a do you have an alternative proposal that would give doctors and nurses training opportunities?
__________________

__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 07-23-2004, 05:54 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 02:20 PM
It seems like the military need everything they can to get people to enroll right now...

Well yes they do need practice, but I don't care about the cost, I'd hate to be the one that they "practiced" on. I've seen enough bad plastic surgery on celebrities who paid fortunes, I'd hate to see what I got for free.

On a side note the doctor they quoted was a neighbor of mine where I grew up...small world.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 07-23-2004, 06:13 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 08:20 PM
I really don't see anything wrong with this. Since our military is stretched to the max, why not use attractive incentives as well as give student health professionals a chance to learn?
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 07-23-2004, 06:13 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
It seems like the military need everything they can to get people to enroll right now...

Well yes they do need practice, but I don't care about the cost, I'd hate to be the one that they "practiced" on. I've seen enough bad plastic surgery on celebrities who paid fortunes, I'd hate to see what I got for free.

On a side note the doctor they quoted was a neighbor of mine where I grew up...small world.
The Military is having far better success in recruiting than they did in the late 1990s under Bill Clinton.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 07-23-2004, 06:15 PM   #6
Refugee
 
ThatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vertigo
Posts: 1,277
Local Time: 12:20 PM
I've heard this a lot, without any actual numbers used.
__________________
ThatGuy is offline  
Old 07-23-2004, 07:55 PM   #7
Refugee
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Posts: 2,432
Local Time: 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2


The Military is having far better success in recruiting than they did in the late 1990s under Bill Clinton.
That's important because they also need much more military than under Bill Clinton
__________________
Klaus is offline  
Old 07-23-2004, 08:23 PM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2


The Military is having far better success in recruiting than they did in the late 1990s under Bill Clinton.
From everything I've read and heard first hand the recruiting numbers are about the same they've been for the past 10 years, with a small spike right after 9/11. But at a time like this the numbers should be higher.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 07-23-2004, 08:35 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


From everything I've read and heard first hand the recruiting numbers are about the same they've been for the past 10 years, with a small spike right after 9/11. But at a time like this the numbers should be higher.
The military services failed to make their quota's in 1998 and 1999 missing them by as much as 30,000! Recruitment over the past few years has been the best its been since the early 1990s with the military exceeding their quota's and often having to delay recruits entry into the service. The numbers are indeed higher.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 07-23-2004, 09:18 PM   #10
War Child
 
najeena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: an island paradise
Posts: 995
Local Time: 08:20 PM
How about practicing on poor patients who need reconstructive surgery but can't afford it? Surely there are such people. A free nose job for a soldier, OK. But breast implants? How many female soldiers do suppose need new or augmented breasts after being injured? Just one of the myriad ways the misuse of my tax dollars pisses me off.
__________________
najeena is offline  
Old 07-23-2004, 09:22 PM   #11
Refugee
 
ThatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vertigo
Posts: 1,277
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2


The military services failed to make their quota's in 1998 and 1999 missing them by as much as 30,000! Recruitment over the past few years has been the best its been since the early 1990s with the military exceeding their quota's and often having to delay recruits entry into the service. The numbers are indeed higher.
Yes, but are the quotas the same, or have they been lowered to meet lowered expectations?
__________________
ThatGuy is offline  
Old 07-23-2004, 09:23 PM   #12
BAW
The Flower
 
BAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: The OC....!!!!
Posts: 11,094
Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
How about practicing on poor patients who need reconstructive surgery but can't afford it? Surely there are such people. A free nose job for a soldier, OK. But breast implants? How many female soldiers do suppose need new or augmented breasts after being injured? Just one of the myriad ways the misuse of my tax dollars pisses me off.




I understand the need for bodies to practice on, but how many injured soldiers will REALLY need breast augmentation or lipo?
__________________
BAW is offline  
Old 07-25-2004, 02:17 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy


Yes, but are the quotas the same, or have they been lowered to meet lowered expectations?
The Quotas have actually gone up slightly.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 07-25-2004, 02:38 PM   #14
Refugee
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: maine
Posts: 1,117
Local Time: 08:20 PM
errg...i had a baby in a military hospitol....it was a shitty expirience.

someone may need breast augmentation after they have one removed because of breast cancer....but implants?
ya could get a boob blown off in battle I spose

lol...
__________________
carrieluvv is offline  
Old 07-26-2004, 09:29 AM   #15
Acrobat
 
RocknRollKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: It's no secret, yes, of course I'm her alter
Posts: 379
Local Time: 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by carrieluvv


someone may need breast augmentation after they have one removed because of breast cancer...
That's what I was thinking. It was probaby originally put in to make sure reconstructive surgery for all body parts would be covered, in cases such as cancer, injury, or especially being wounded in battle. It was probably a good idea with good intentions that ended up being taken to extremes due to loopholes or technicalities.
__________________

__________________
RocknRollKitty is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com