the united states and the global environment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
im not a scientist but as long as the u.s. stays on the sidelines it seems to me that kyoto will only make a dent in the greenhouse gases problem rather than going a long ways to solving it.

there are economically proven strategies of emissions trading which have been proposed, such as in the lieberman-mccain bill (which itself is a heavily watered down kyoto legislation), but all have been shot down or are unlikely to ever be adopted.

what quality of evidence must be presented for the u.s. to adopt some form of clean air legislation?

by constantly returning to the refrain that there is not yet conclusive evidence of harmful effects of carbon dioxide, the administration makes one wonder what it will take. when plenty of other nations, industrially developed and developing, have already signed on and ratified the agreement, there is cause for suspicion.

Well the Kyoto Accord is not the solution to the world's supposed ozone crisis; it is merely a scaling back a decade to past industry standards. If you look at it scientifically, the decrease of ozone in the atmosphere can be attributed to industrial emissions... but historically cycles of CO2 have shown that trends may not be the result of anthroprogenic processes... rather they may in fact be part of a natural progression, responsible for the onsets of ice ages and other geologic phenomena. Methanous emissions from the mass domestication of livestock have increased the greenhouse effect as well... and I don't see any stipulant in the Kyoto protocol that calls for a decrease in cow flatulence.

On the other hand, ratifying Kyoto is a step in the right direction. I think that the US, and certain Western Canadian provinces need to realize that Kyoto is not an infringement on economic prosperity, or a Keynesian adjustment... but an assurance for the integrity of that layer that keeps us from death.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom