The United Kingdom of Canada? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2006, 02:01 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
Ireland is not part of the unitied kingdom...shame!
bah

whatever
NORTHERN

big DIF

i kid

my mistake for forgetting to add that important detail

Old 12-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Slipstream
The Provinces control their own healthcare, education, and welfare with also creating their own taxes.
Ahhhhhhhh but can representatives from one province, let's call it 'Scotland', go to the parliament of another province, let's call it 'England, Wales and Northern Ireland', and cause an Education Bill to be passed which although will be enforced in England, Wales and Northern Ireland won't be enforced in Scotland, had absolutely nothing to do with Scotland and yet somehow the Scots got to vote in a Bill that wouldn't have been passed without them? If not then I'm afraid you Canadians have got a long way to go before you resemble grand old British 'democracy'.

(What I'm basically saying is, if Canada wants to go down the United Kingdom route, there's got to be better role models to follow than the UK's very muddled system).

Old 12-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:31 PM
Re: The United Kingdom of Canada?

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
newfound "nation"

Old 12-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheQuiet1
[B]

Ahhhhhhhh but can representatives from one province, let's call it 'Scotland', go to the parliament of another province, let's call it 'England, Wales and Northern Ireland', and cause an Education Bill to be passed which although will be enforced in England, Wales and Northern Ireland won't be enforced in Scotland, had absolutely nothing to do with Scotland and yet somehow the Scots got to vote in a Bill that wouldn't have been passed without them?
Provincial MPs(correctly knows as MLA's in most of Canada and Australia) cannot effect bills in other provinces.

Quote:
If not then I'm afraid you Canadians have got a long way to go before you resemble grand old British 'democracy'
Britain itself designed, created, and built Canada's entire governmental system and most institutions. This was done in the 1800s so I feel it was well thought out and the superior system to the muddled UK system as you put it. On the planet, for a federal system, I think Canada and Oz's system really is one of the best things going.

Interesting topic this is.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:07 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy
7. That Maximum 120 road sign is in miles per hour …really
Are there really places with a 120 km/hr speed limit? I'd love it if the 401/403/QEW adopted that limit, because I find 100 km/hr to be completely maddening.

Of course, apparently all of Ontario agrees, because even if I'm going 130 km/hr, there's still plenty of cars and trucks thinking that I'm going too slow...heh.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:01 AM
130km is way too fast, regardless of posted limits. Anyone who thinks they are in control of anything even at 90 or 100km per hour is probably kidding themselves (and yes that includes myself). It should not matter on straight-ahead multi-lane motorways, but shit happens, doesn't it.

I have nothing substantive to add, sorry. Canada is part of the British Empire, just like Australia, and we can all be proud of our shared heritage. Right? I mean, that must be her sister, right?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy
Top 10 Reasons to Visit Canada

10. The Ice Hotel in Quebec City means you too can experience living in an igloo

9. Baby seals taste a lot like chicken – with half the fat!

8. One of our First Ladies used to hang out with the Rolling Stones and Jack Nicholson

7. That Maximum 120 road sign is in miles per hour …really

6 Four lovely seasons – Winter, Still Winter, Almost Winter and Construction

5. Bigger, longer and uncut – and that’s just in football

4. Our corporate “Big 3” are Molson, Labatt and Moosehead Breweries

3. New taste sensation at McDonalds - McPoutine

2. See the multicultural diversity of Canadians in their natural habitat – Tim Hortons donut shops

And the Number One reason to visit Canada……

Three Words....

1. MORE STREET HOCKEY!
for shame... how could you leave off cheap strip clubs?

Old 12-11-2006, 05:11 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:01 AM
I'd like to add "over the counter Tyenol with codeine" to that list.

<--just got home from Vancouver

(sorry, I have nothing remotely worthy to contribute to the thread)
Old 12-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
for shame... how could you leave off cheap strip clubs?
How can they be cheap when you have to stuff gstrings with 5 dollar bills instead of singles?

eh?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:58 PM   #25
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
130km is way too fast, regardless of posted limits. Anyone who thinks they are in control of anything even at 90 or 100km per hour is probably kidding themselves (and yes that includes myself).
130 km/hr (~80 mph) is considered to be rather fast, but in Michigan, where the posted speed limit is 70 mph (~110 km/hr), going 80 mph is fairly commonplace (even for myself).

However, 90 (~55 mph) or 100 km/hr (~60 mph) is dreadfully slow, particularly when it comes to highway driving. I'd probably go insane driving that slow for hundreds of miles.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:19 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Yeah Ormus, my point wasn't really about whether it feels fast enough or not, and clearly I don't relish long drives on motorways, they take, well, a long time.

But even leaving aside the real risk of incurring a speeding fine I cannot afford (via one of the sneaky police radars, and no, they don't always signal their presence), which admittedly most other drivers seem to not give a shit about... 100km really is plenty fast. At 100km, you or I really are fucked if anything unexpected appears that might require a stop or a swerve.

Long trips are always going to take too long, they just are.

Anyhow, that's my off-topic rant.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:11 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

1/ Having been in a car accident that wrote off almost two years of my life - it doesn't matter if you are going 50 or 100 or 120 - you aren't safe at any speed really.

2/ Despite that, I think our 100km/hr on the 401 is ridiculous. A few yrs ago, a guy drove the speed limit beside his buddy and got a ticket - 100 is too slow on the 401.

http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/678348/posts

3/ Forget the cheap strip clubs - In Ontario it is legal to be topless in public whenever you like. Walking down the street? No problem. Driving on the highway - No problem.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:37 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
At 100km, you or I really are fucked if anything unexpected appears that might require a stop or a swerve.
So why not have us being a little more fucked if something goes wrong? Of course for this I am referring to long stretches on highways in the middle of nowhere like on the Stuart Highway.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:40 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The other thing: as I am well aware most people treat the posted speed limit as a joke and routinely go 20 to 30km above it, it should be as low as possible. That's my view. A highway with a legal limit of 150km/h, would see the majority of drivers doing up to 180km/h.

I'm all for rule of law, but realise that for various reasons people treat the speed limit as a sort of rubber band. It's elastic, like U2's long suffering fans.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:41 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
So why not have us being a little more fucked if something goes wrong? Of course for this I am referring to long stretches on highways in the middle of nowhere like on the Stuart Highway.
I don't even know what that means, but go ahead if you wanna die, just don't involve me. The point is this: if you think speed is more important than human life, then fuck off.